Anti Bacterial Sprays

Guest greytloves

Guest greytloves

With my boy going to the Hospitals so much and I have to practice such hand sanitary things like washing with the foam and regular soaps. It got me to wondering, is there a spray on the market that I can use to spray my boys feet and fur after we visit the hospital? After all, what is stopping a bad germ from hanging out on his feet or fur and then getting into my car?

Anyone with any recommendations?

I don't know as it's really a problem. If it were, vets would have huge problems with drug-resistant bacteria attacking their own pups.

If you want, just walk them around the block once you get home from the vet- through tall grass, if you can. It's not disinfection, but it certainly is a... friction-based removal of any bugs they may have picked up on their paws. Really, though, you'd have to wash the whole dog, as everyone's hands have been on the pup. And their collar. And the leash. Between the foamites (inanimate objects) and everything else, you'd pretty much have to put the dog through the washer, and they frown on that.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I work at a vet's, doing everything except the doctoring, and Blitz hangs out with me during my shift at least once a week, and I truly have no concern about this. I hang out in my work clothes with my dogs when I get home, and other than washing my hands before I leave work (and that's mostly because I've had urine or blood or ear gunk or cat hair (I'm allergic) on them at some point), I don't do anything special, and my crew (and we humans) has been fine for the year and a half I've worked there. I don't do anything special to Blitz, nor did I do anything to Frazzle when he used to hang out with me.

Any antibacterial sprays, I would be concerned about drug-resistant bacteria being created. That would NOT be a good thing.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest longdogs

Logically why would you just worry about his feet? Many germs are airborne, so you'd need to cleanse the whole dog, and yourself of course. You should immerse yourselves completely in tubs of disinfectant after burning all your contaminated clothes. That just leaves the car. Sorry, you'll have to torch it just to be on the safe side. Alternatively, a nice cup of tea taken orally will work fine.

Guest greytloves

I understand and am not one to use sprays very often. However, we have two docs in our group and both of them spray a bleach solution on their dogs feet (the bottoms) on leaving and then go home and wash the dogs again. I just found that out and asked one why and he said, "Do you have any idea what is on the floors of the hospitals?" That got me thinking. So, I then asked our ICU nurse that is in our group and she also said nearly the same thing. And I am not thinking about what the dog can get, but what I can get. Such as MRSA and other nasty little bugs. Yikes. I certainly am going to go home and wash my boy. We do use leashes and capes that are to be washed after visits. I guess I was living in a fantasy land thinking it was just as safe as can be. Hoping there was a spray I could use to disinfect him some before he climbed off in my car.

Guest longdogs

Seriously, you could just wipe their paws with an alcohol gel, such as those used in hospitals for disinfecting hands between patients.

There's another option- wash the paws in a Virkon solution. It has the same disinfection capability of bleach- stronger, actually- but it's not caustic like bleach. It's a veterinary disinfectant; you can buy it on eBay, and through some dairy supply companies.

I've used a lot of it; I wouldn't use it on a regular basis- it's very drying on the skin- but it's not as harsh as bleach, and it's a very, very good disinfectant. Use it as a "step through" bath, followed up with a quick rinse, or with a "Paw Plunger" or whatever- again, followed up with a clean water rinse.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytloves
There's another option- wash the paws in a Virkon solution. It has the same disinfection capability of bleach- stronger, actually- but it's not caustic like bleach. It's a veterinary disinfectant; you can buy it on eBay, and through some dairy supply companies.

I've used a lot of it; I wouldn't use it on a regular basis- it's very drying on the skin- but it's not as harsh as bleach, and it's a very, very good disinfectant. Use it as a "step through" bath, followed up with a quick rinse, or with a "Paw Plunger" or whatever- again, followed up with a clean water rinse.

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was hoping for. I'll go searching for it now.