Puking - Food Allergy? Or What?

Guest Gr8hounds

Guest Gr8hounds

We have a foster that pukes no matter what kind of food she was put on. She would puke up foam and food and then reeat the food :sick... We went to the vet.. xrays, bloodwork, etc... everything came out fine... when we walk her or when she gets excited she sounds really raspy when she pants, so the vet said to put her on prednisone and she stopped puking, but is still raspy... Does anyone have any experience with anything like this!? :sick

Edited by Gr8hounds

We had a dog that was raspy when we first got him. Turned out his collar was too tight!

Is she eating too fast? How long has she been off the track? Could be emotional stress.

Food allergies don't cause vomiting--they typically cause terrible itching.

My old dog was a frequent chucker--what helped was a daily dose of Tagamet. Too much acid in his tummy apparently.

How often are you feeding her? Perhaps three small meals would be beneficial?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Wouldn't be out of place to x-ray esophagus and stomach area.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

I'll share my experience in case it helps.

My Riley (an american eskimo) pukes if given people junk food such as hotdogs. If Riley pukes due to a food disagreeing with him, he does fairly soon, within about 10 minutes.

Henry needs his food in as small of bites as possible, and served warm. He is on homecooked. I pulse his meat in the food processor, it did the trick.

Is your foster vomiting food or bile? What texture is the food by the time it comes back up, and how soon after meals does she throw up?

Guest Gr8hounds

We aren't actually sure what she was fed…. I am assuming she was on some kind of diet with raw meat, but I had no idea… She was fat when we first got her, but her throat was swollen…. We have tried all kinds of food, and different feeding times, etc. She never raced according to greyhound-data… She doesn't even have a collar on right now… She isn't eating to fast because we free feed all of our greys… They always have a huge bucket of food, and we have seen her eat a few pieces, and then come back and she just grazes….The thing I am worried about is that her throat sometimes gets swollen and that she is so rhaspy…. All of her xrays came back ok, but I may try the water mixed with the food!… When she does puke it is mostly foam and food, but sine she has been on the prednisone, she hasn't puked at all... The food came back up almost immediately in whole pieces...

Edited by Gr8hounds