Not Greyhound- Horse Related

Guest ask529

No horses for me for a long time, but strongid has been around for a long time. I wonder if the worms have become resistant to it.

I thought IverMec was the wormer of choice now days.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yeah on the rotate it. We wormed every 2 or so months here in Florida.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest LynnM

Strongid is a pretty mild and very commonly used wormer. So... it takes a whole lot of it to be effective in an animal as large as a horse, and many times the parasites are resistant to it. It's not terribly effective in dogs for anything but roundworms, either.

Lynn

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Safegard is a better choice than strongid for horses, IMHO. I know we used to use it for strongyles and the horses got it daily from a pail.

The paste stuff, we usually got zivermectin or safegard.

ETA - we rotated too...

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

The cat rescue I volunteer with uses Strongid on kittens 6 weeks and older. It is what the vet recommends so I'm sure it is a good product.

Guest LynnM

It's good in that it's VERY safe and has minimal side effects. It's what's commonly used on human kids for things like pinworms (it's not banana flavored because puppies and kittens like it, LOL).

At best, it clears some worm infestations and at worst, it does nothing at all. It won't hurt the animal and it's very, very hard to overdose. Parasites are, however, frequently resistent to Strongid. Around here, a lot of vets skip Strongid for all but puppies and kittens, because of resistance. Hookworms are almost always resistant to Strongid around here.

Lynn