Medications -- Like Pepcid

Guest Winterwish

Guest Winterwish

I just want to mention about medications and giving the least dose possible. After seeing several posts of folks giving their dogs pepcid,sometimes for long,long periods,I just want ed to touch on the fact that no matter how harmless a medication may seem,or is,they still have adverse effects.

For example,Pepcid can and does cause headaches as a side effect after porlonged use. Of course a dog would not be able to say that tho'.

Other side effects that are not rare at all,are vertigo,malaise,diarrhea,and poor appatite.

Now,this is what the side effects are for people- but just because the dog can't say these things,or symptoms,does not mean they may not have them. We don't really know actually if a dog has or even gets a headache...but why not? It can also cause musculoskelatal pain,but who can tell?

Again-- maybe these things don't affect a dog at all,but as I see more and more posts saying to give pepcid- even 20 mg. twice a day- something tyou may want to consider.

And some things actually can be calcaulated, pepcid can cause an increased BUN and creat. for ex.

Not saying pepcid is at all some big dangerous drug! Just something to mention. And that most meds,particularly meds for for symptoms as opposed to a clearly defined disease, should be given if at all,in the least dose possible.

Pepcid is hard to split,I remember putting it in the pill chopper and it'll shoot across the room!

The one time I gave it,I ended up just biting it in half,so I gave 5 mg. twice a day,and that for only about 4 days and that was it. Didn't see or *could not see a reason to give a high dose.

This goes also for actual prescribed canine meds,like metacam-- same thing. If the highest dose is working,see how pup does on slowly bringing that dose down.

Not all meds work like that tho'! Obviously thyroid medication and such.

Well,off to work....

Edited by Winterwish

I totally agree with what you're saying, Mary. However, in Kelsey's case, she's closely monitored by the vet who prescribes it and has blood work drawn occasionally. The alternative for her would be suffering with symptoms of colitis. I would definitely caution folks not to use it unless prescribed by a vet. :)

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Guest Winterwish

I remember that about Kelsey Chris,and I hope she's doing well. :dogcookie:)

The thing that concerns me is basically as stated you know?

There's no question I see people posting either that they're giving pepcid,or how much to give,or should I give pepcid and people post to give it.

The thing is it's a medication. Not long ago,a medication needing a prescription.

It has side affects,and actually,one of them is constipation for example. - Not the reason it's given,but sure enough,let's say in a pup with colitis...sure enough it seems to keep the colitis at bay...thereby perhaps actually pointing out that side effects are,need to be,a genuine concern know what I mean?

Lots of people have been doing this tho' with pepcid,as well as tagamet. In my building I just had this converstaion with a neighbor. She is giving pepcid twice a day,- not even sure of the dosage -- and asked me if I think it's alright. Told her the best thing- other then maybe,possibly 3 nights of using it tops-- beyond that,best thing is to go to the vet.

She said she's "been giving it for months,and he seems fine".

So it's been a kind of increase in using these meds,it seems anyway,and people say, - "he seems fine" - maybe,maybe not.

Edited by Winterwish

Glad you brought this up. I think many folks are comfortable giving OTC medications w/o consulting their veterinarian. Take for example-Pepcid really should only be given once a day unless otherwise scripted by your vet. Aspirin is also given frequently--something that a lot of grey savoy vets would not recommend. :rolleyes:

Good reminders! Pepcid *is* hard to split. When my cat was taking it, I ended up going to a compounding pharmacy. They could fine tune the dosage, and they put it in an ointment that was rubbed on then skin in front of his ears, sooo much easier than pilling a cat!

It is easy to get complacent about OTC drugs.

Good advice, Mary.

Giving a pepcid, pepto bismol, immodium, benadryl on a one- or two-time basis is fine. More than that, really ought to be consulting a vet. Aspirin, I just plain wouldn't give at all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.