Ice Pack Poll

Guest EmilyAnne

Ice pack  

5 members have voted

1. 1. If you have used the ice pack for grand-mal...

• The ice pack trick abruptly and totally stopped the grand-mal
    • The ice pack stopped the violent stage, but grand-mal did not *entirely* end right away
    • It did not work at all, I am not sure my technique was correct
    • It did not work, and I KNOW my technique was correct
    • I haven't gotten to the ice pack soon nough
    • It worked, but I think if my technique was better, it would have worked better
  2. 2. Did the ice pack significantly make a difference with post-ictal?

• Absolutely
    • Somewhat
    • I don't think I applied it soon enough
    • Did not shorten the crazy stage of post-ictal at all

Guest EmilyAnne

I would love to hear everyone's experiences with using the ice-pack for grand-mals. The two crucial things to keep in mind, is to apply it as quickly as possible as soon as the dog starts seizuring, and to make sure it is applied firmly to the important area of the spine. I talk more about this in my blog: http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/sear...abel/ice%20pack

For Henry, he goes from jaw locked open, legs swinging like crazy, whole body vibrating like an out of balance washer, pee flying everywhere, and then as soon as the ice pack is applied, all that abruptly stops. He then just lays there flinching and foaming at the mouth (there is a video of this stage on my blog)until he makes his bowel movement, then he can get up, and he is usually confused for about 5 minutes. I have since learned if I put the ice pack higher, it should be more effective.

The ice pack has DRASTICALLY helped Henry with his post-ictal, which used to be very crazy and very long.

I really hope the poll I set up works. Either way, please share your experiences and as many details as you can think of.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

By the way, I was unable to vote cause I messed it up when I edited. :(

My vote would have been:

It worked, but I think if my technique was better, it would have worked better
for the first part,

and then

Absolutely
for the second part. :)

I have never (knock on wood) had a dog with seizures. but I find this very interesting and am looking forward to seeing what others have to say! I learn something new every day on this site!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Greytminds

Worked with Lucky today!!!! Within less then a minute the seziure subsided. Now the trick is how to keep an ice pack gold in the bedroom.

Guest EmilyAnne

I'm fortunate, our freezer is literally two feet from the bedroom door! (the blessings of a tiny house! :D )When we stayed at my aunt and uncle's in Florida, at night we would put the ice pack in a cooler next to our bed. By morning it thawed a little, but not too much.

The important thing is, wherever you keep it, check the bag often, making sure the ice is not stuck in a clump. You need the crushed ice to mold to the dog's back.

I once tried to use the ice pack when it was in a clump. It would not work until I smashed the ice up.

And if you try this on a long haired breed, you need to part the hair where you apply the ice pack.

Guest EmilyAnne

I would like to correct one more common mistake many people make. It has to be *ice*, not frozen veggies. And it nees to be crushed ice. So many try frozen veggies. Go to your freezer, hold a bag of frozen ice, and hold a bag of frozen veggies. The ice is colder. Do not use cooler packs and etc. Use simple plain crushed ice and nothing else. It will be most effective.