Pad Fell Off One Foot....

Guest Lovely

Guest Lovely

Linny one of our greyhounds is pretty active in the back yard. Today we noticed her chewing at her paw, later we found a dime sized piece of her pad. The pad on the other front paw has a crack about 1/2 inch long, and it kind of flaps around. Is this common? Should she be taken to the vet of this. Will the rest just come off, and new pad will grow?

Please help! Thanks!

Guest sheila

I'm not sure what a vet will be able to really do that you can't do yourself. It's not like they can stitch such a wound. I would probably clean it really well with a saline solution and maybe use some Neo-sporin+pain relief and then put a cushy sock over the paws. HOWEVER I would at least call my vet and ask his/her opinion and recommendations. My vet is pretty good about giving me advice over the phone. The dog might also benefit from some nsaids for pain relief because I'm sure that has to hurt.

Guest BlackandBrindle

You might also look into dog boots such as therapaws while she's recovering.

I'd suggest a watered down solution of betadyne to wash the pad off. Put it in a hair color applicator (less than $2 at a beauty supply store). Put a towel down under though, because it will stain. It has a slight numbing property. We did this with Spud's wounds and he pretty much left them alone.

You can also give a buffered aspirin for pain (ask the vet as this might have interactions if you start her on heavier duty pain meds).

You might want to add bag balm to the weekly peticure regime to keep the pads moist and to prevent cracking.

Definitely call the vet though. Hope she feels better soon!

Guest tennesseegrey
Linny one of our greyhounds is pretty active in the back yard. Today we noticed her chewing at her paw, later we found a dime sized piece of her pad. The pad on the other front paw has a crack about 1/2 inch long, and it kind of flaps around. Is this common? Should she be taken to the vet of this. Will the rest just come off, and new pad will grow?

Please help! Thanks!

It happpened with my Rosie once and it healed on it own. I think I put Hydrogen Peroxide on it some also.

Uber does that all the time on the carpets in our house. He somehow thinks Zoomies inside should be run at a faster speed and quicker turns than outside. He effectively carpet burns his pads off. (and folks wonder why we still crate him :lol)

Leave it be and it'll heal up in a couple days :)

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

This has happened to Diamond twice this summer (both times she scraped it on something while running). We just kept it clean, and it healed within two days or so.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Roo ripped one of her pads and we put a bootie on her and used EMT gel. Within two days she ate the torn pad :puke and another pad was already there. It was surprisingly fast.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

If it's not bleeding you are in the clear. Just keep it clean and put a sock or bootie on her until the new pad firms up.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest gr8hound47

We just went through this with our 7 y/o guy. He was running in the back yard, and ripped a chuck of his pad off. Ouch !! We just cleaned it daily, did the antibiotic ointment, and the sock and it now pretty much healed. I did start using the Bag Balm, (got the info off of GT, thanks to all on this forum) and has really helped all their pads. Good Luck.

Edited by gr8hound47

When this happened to my Teddy a few years ago he ended up needing antibiotics so a vet check would be good.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I checked Uber's tonight. He did it two days ago and it's already healed over and "new" pad has grown in.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.