Hello From The Texas Panhandle

Guest connerb1

Guest connerb1

I was just looking around and found this forum. My wife and I lost our little Cowdog/Welsh Corgi mix a month or so ago and decided it was time to get a new dog. We have talked for years about adopting a rescued Greyhound and decided to take the plunge.

I have a friend that introduced me to GALT (Greyhound Adoption League of Texas). We made application for adoption and got final approval this past monday. We are going to Dallas in the morning to get our new hound. :colgate:colgate They are going to have a few different dogs for us to look at, but we are pretty sure of the one we want. I petite fawn female named Prima. She was adopted once and the couple got divorced and gave her back. They had a Yorkie that she did fine with, and since we also have a Yorkie, decided she fit the bill.

So I will start reading here and looking around before I start asking to many questions. Here's a picture of her. Ain't she purty..................prima2.jpg

Congratulations! Yes, she is purty! I have a petite female brindle - people always comment on my whippet! Good job finding this forum - it will be a wealth of information for you! Let us know how everything goes! Additional pictures are always welcome!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Welcome from Plano Texas! Where in the panhandle are you from? I used to live in Amarillo.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

:welcome2 from Kansas! Prima is absolutely gorgeous :wub: You do know that we have to see lots of pictures when you get her home, don't you? :digicam It's the rules!!!

I just love GALT. They do awesome work and if I lived closer, I'd be volunteering like crazy!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest connerb1

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I will definitely be taking lots of pictures tommorrow and I will post some of them as soon as I can. I live in Pampa, Tx about 50 miles NW of Amarillo. A great place to raise kids and Greyhounds.......................

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome to GreyTalk and an additional hello from Plano, TX! :)

GALT is an outstanding rescue organization, both of our boys were GALTers! Good luck meeting your new pup, and keep us updated, please!!

Welcome to Greytalk and greyhounds! Your girlie top be is beautiful! A Place For Us is in Lubbock if you ever want to :chip (get a second grey). The group has a very wonderful, very grey savvy vet in Slaton that keeps adoption costs at West Texas prices.

Also Dr. Culp in Amarillo owns greys himself and has a lot of equipment other vets in the area don't for more complex issues.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greytbuds

What a beautiful girl Prima is!! Whichever pup you pick, this is the beginning of a great experience for you both. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Welcome and congratulations!!

Greytbuds

Guest VelvetEars

Greetings! My husband's from Booker (waaaaay up in the northeast corner o' the panhandle). Our last trip down to his parent's farm, I did a solo day trip to Pampa for some antiquing --- a fun town! :)

And yes, she's quite the looker!

Guest connerb1

It was a loooonnnnnng day today. We got up at 4:00 a.m. drove nearly 7 hrs. to Dallas got our beautiful Prima and drove back. So I'm too tired to post pictures tonight I'll get some up tomorrow.

Prima didn't like riding in the van. I had taken a middle seat out and put in a blanket but she went and stuck her head under the back seat. She wouldn't take any treats or drink at all on the ride home. We made several stops and she would come right out of the car but wouldn't potty. I was worried a little. But the worries were short lived when we got home. She came alive when she got out of the car. She wanted in the house, so we all came in. The first thing she started to go potty. I made her go outside and stay out until her business was all done. She came in and drank and ate and drank and drank and drank then ate a little more and then drank. Then the exploring began. But she acted like Maxwell (our Yorkie) was not even there. She sniffed every inch of the house about ten times then found a spot and layed down. I opened her crate door and told her "bed" and in she went layed down and promptly fell asleep. Now I think I will go do the same thing. What a wonderful day it has been....................

Congratulations!!!!!! Welcome to the group, she is beautiful!!! Don't worry she will settle in it takes them a few days to settle into the new routine. Lots of Happiness with her. :colgate Keep us posted and we love pictures......

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest GreytMuse

Woohoo!! :yay :yay :yay Congratulations on your new family member! It sounds like you had a very long and tiring day, but OH so worth it! I am so happy for all of you!

Guest greytwannabe

Hello from your neighbors in Borger! We have worked with GALT on several West Texas strays. They are greyt! We have adopted five greyhounds since 2005, four of which came from GALT. We look forward to meeting you and Prima, maybe at Pampa's Chatauqua...we'll be there representing GALT and we'll have a couple of our greys and our son's greys with us!!

Guest p51crazyhorse

oh Prima!!!! I met her!!! she is a happy thing!!!! I didnt get to put my hands on her but for a second and then she was off!!! Did you get to meet Jennifer Henager? What other dogs did you get to meet? Oh I am so excited!!! GALT is so great! I live for them...... I am a Injured Reserve dog foster mom. I take the ones that need special attention/care (like Daddy Duke and before that Streamer and Sunshine) we failed at fostering Streamer..... I have also started making all the belly bands that they sell online and at meet and greets. Dog treats, dog muffins for the birthday.... now I am working on donation silks for the meet and greets too. If you have ANY questions I would be glad to help-along with anyone on this great forum, everyone is so wonderful, you stumbled onto the right site!!!

Holly

:welcome Hi and welcome from So Cal! Congrats on your new girl.....she's a beauty!!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest connerb1
Hello from your neighbors in Borger! We have worked with GALT on several West Texas strays. They are greyt! We have adopted five greyhounds since 2005, four of which came from GALT. We look forward to meeting you and Prima, maybe at Pampa's Chatauqua...we'll be there representing GALT and we'll have a couple of our greys and our son's greys with us!!

Hey there, Borger neighbors. Kyle sent me an email telling me about Chatauqua. I'm glad the city agreed. Several years ago we had a very irresponsible pitbull owner that that got it fixed so you couldn't bring a dog, even on a leash. I guess time softens things. I'm glad ya'll were able to work it out. We are planning on being there, with Prima of course. Can't wait to meet ya'll and all the greythounds...............................

• 4 weeks later...