Minor D (not Quite The Big D)

Guest das1075

Guest das1075

OK, so this story starts last Monday. I got up in the morning and Coda wasn't interested in his breakfast and just wanted to eat grass outside. I gave him pepto and tempted him to eat breakfast with a slice of deli turkey meat. His stomach had been making all kinds of noises, but seemed to quiet down after breakfast. He ate his dinner fine that night. Fast forward to last Thursday. Same thing happens, a lot of tummy grumbling, refusal to eat, more pepto, eventually he ate. His poop was a little soft all week, but nothing too bad.

This past weekend we went to Grapehounds on Fri, Sat and Sun. He was given lots of treats by vendors and wineries (and myself) but he ate all of his meals just fine. He did have some mushy poop, but that always happens when he gets an excess of treats and lots of excitement. We came back and he had very soft poop Monday so I mixed in some rice for the next couple of meals. He firmed right up. Tuesday night I gave him a bone to chew on. I knew it might make his poop a little yucky, but I just felt like seeing all excited about a bone. He always looks at me like the best mom ever when he gets one. Then yesterday morning (Wednesday) my roommate brings him back from a morning walk and says he just had liquid poop the whole time. So I put him on the bland diet for dinner (I couldn't give it to him for breakfast bc I was out of rice and ground turkey).

Now the rough part. He woke me up at 2:45 this morning crying. I let him out back and he just eats grass, so I take him for a walk in hopes that he'll be able to go. But all of the bunnies where out and he couldn't focus. I figured if he could be that interested in bunnies he couldn't be feeling that poorly. We go back to bed and we wakes me up at 3:45. I gave him some pepto and he quieted down. Back to bed. Then woke up up every 45 minutes or so for the rest of the night. Finally at 6 I get up and take him outside for a walk. He immediately lays down in the grass instead of being his normal excited self about walking. This whole time he has a grumbly stomach. So we go back in and I give him the bland diet mix which he scarfs down. Then we try walking again and he seems more energetic. He poops. At first is formed but then the last of it is liquid.

So, I'm unsure of what to do. Keep giving the bland diet or call the vet in? I'm worried that after 2 wks of this reoccuring grumbly belly and mushy poop that he might have a bug or something.

Some final background info: I just moved from the city to the suburbs the first week of July so that has been an adjustment. He also spent the second week of July with my parents bc I was out of town for school. Add in grapehounds, and we've been pretty unsettled this month.

Could just be a combination of the summer heat, stress and excitement of moving and going to Grapehounds. If he is drinking normally and seems pretty well OK otherwise, I would try to settle life down into a calm routine with his normal food and restricted treats for a few days and see if that gets him back on course.

Sue from England

Guest sandlot13433

Riley had hookworms too! The medicine helps incredibly well. It's not surprising he has worms. The good news is that once the worms are gone, the Interceptor should help prevent them from coming back. Did they give you the medicine that's in a syringe that you squirt in their mouth?