Holeysmokes Dental!

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

My 8 year old hound went in this morning for a dental because he'd broken off a tooth. I figured he was due anyway, because I've been slipping on the brushing, it had been a couple of years, and he's always had touchy gums. They put the IV in at 8:30 (I stayed til then, so I know when it was) and at *11:00* I got a call that he needed 7 extractions and a biopsy of an ulceration in his mouth, is it ok? He'd already been under anesthesia for 2 1/2 hours! Is that common? They did xrays and said the cleaning took a long time and they hadn't begun extractions yet. I'm kind of freaked by the length of time he's been under. I know they're thorough, but...! :eek

edited to say that I still brush at least once a week, and visible tarter was very minimal. I had no idea his teeth were that bad...

Edited by SusanP

I use a dentist instead of a GP. And all three of my old ladies have been under that long, and had a lot of extractions.

And they all also cost over $3000 EACH! (ouch)

But, they are doing great. I will say one thing. Pearl, my high risk anesthesia girl had an abscessed tooth that we finally decided to risk taking out. There were at least 5 teeth that I thought should come out too. Especially since she's such high risk, I didn't want to put her under again.

He only removed the one tooth. Well just one year later and she had to go back in and get the other 5 removed. I went to a different dentist and she took out 11 teeth. But.....at least it looks like what she has left should last for the rest of her life. (she's 10 with heart disease and hypertension).

Guest SusanP

Also, what kinds of cancer present as a mouth ulceraton? I know I'll get to talk to the vet eventually, but I'm kind of alarmed all the way around right now.

Yikes, I think this will *only* run around $800, though with the biopsy, I'm not sure now. I'm relieved to hear your hounds have been under that long and did ok--I thought an hour tops and he'd be out! (But what do I know?)

I have no experience with dentals, but I'm hoping that everything is fine. I suppose it's better to know that they are taking their time and being careful instead of doing a rushed job.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Just because they put in the IV doesn't mean that they put him under anesthesia immediately. Spencer had an IV in for a while before he was ready for going under. I would defintely get the ulceration thing biopsied and he probably does need the extractions. Spencer has a dental once a year because I worry about his teeth. I have heard that Greyhounds do just fine without their teeth so I'm sure your guy will be fine but have a very sore mouth!

Donna is right, it doesn't mean they put him under right away. I know it's easy to say, but please try not to worry.He's in good hands,

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Its a common practice at the clinic that I work at to have the animals going under that day at our clinic before 9am. As soon as they get in, they're weighed, temp taken, blood work done, and catheter put in prior to the vet even arriving at the clinic at 9am. That way, if we've got no appointments early, we'll go ahead and do it at 9am. If we're booked up, we'll do it at 11am. If an emergency comes in, we'll do it as soon as we can and they're ready immediatly.

Greenies, brushing thier teeth, denta bones, knuckle bones, and scraping thier teeth all help keep tarter from building up and those huge dental bills. For what ever reason, my girl Tzatiyana, has kept her teeth nice and pearly white like a puppies mouth. She's four years old and doesn't even have "grade 1 peridontitis", which is amazing.

I wouldn't stress over it.

Guest VanillaBean
Also, what kinds of cancer present as a mouth ulceraton? I know I'll get to talk to the vet eventually, but I'm kind of alarmed all the way around right now.

Yikes, I think this will *only* run around $800, though with the biopsy, I'm not sure now. I'm relieved to hear your hounds have been under that long and did ok--I thought an hour tops and he'd be out! (But what do I know?)

I don't know about what types of cancers present like an ulcer in the mouth BUT, My IG Peppy has 3 ulcers in his right cheek area. A veterinary dentist examined them and said they were ulcered from plaque on his teeth. And, just to make you feel better--my regular vet did a biopsy of one about a month prior and came back saying same thing!

Traci

I had one of those dentals last Nov. 07 with Ali. It was two years since her last one. I keep the teeth clean with brushing, turkey necks and scale her teeth. She went in last Nov. and I had the same thing happen. She had 9 extractions and and the vet said her mouth was a mess. When I picked her up she was all wobbely and shakey from being under for about as long as your guy. I got her home and she finally laid down and went to sleep. The vet said that she was predisposed to having these problems. Her teeth are hard to keep clean. Her last dental was in Nov. and she will be needinng it again soon. She recovered and has no back molars any more. She is able to chew her kibble okay but it takes her some time to eat a treat.