Sevin Dust / Powder ... Poisonous?

OK.. the Cicada Killer Wasps are out of control at my house so I put down Sevin powder/dust all over the yard tonight. I can't find ANY information online about this stuff and the package isn't the best at telling me how long before I can let the boys back in the yard.

Does anybody know?? :dunno

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to post this. I don't want to poison my dogs so figured I'd post it here. :unsure

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

You can put them out in the yard now. They'll be fine. There are some folks that even "dust" their dogs in it. FYI, it does not work on dogs as a flea powder - please use Frontline Plus/Advantage/Promeris/Vetra 3D

It's fine. Put them on out.

Really?? :o

It said to wear protective gloves, mask, eyewear, etc. while applying. :dunno

Yeah, I use revolution every month on the boys :) They are almost due for their next dose in a couple more days.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest ThunderPaws

It should be safe. I've seen a breeder sprinkle that stuff in the dog runs and even on the dogs' bloody sores caused by clusters of ticks - ticks died and dogs were still alive.

WOW.. no wonder I can't find anything about it being poisonous :lol :lol

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Seven dust is commonly used in race kennels all over the place. Mostly used behind the crates and under the crates and sometimes out in the turn out pens as well

I have seen kennels even place it under the dogs bedding and yes even "dust" the dogs while I wouldn't suggest something like that.

I'm amazed at some of the precautions labels have. I use the Frontline spay on all my hound. On the bottle is says to use gloves, protective clothing and a mask. I mean really what is that all about, I"m putting this stuff on my dogs but I have to have all this protective stuff for me?????

Guest longdogs

The active ingredient is carbaryl which has a mixed history. It's now restricted to professional use in the UK, I don't know about the US. The toxic dose is quite high but I would treat this stuff with more respect than it seems to be receiving, judging by the posts.

You don't want them lapping it up or rolling in it 40 times, but they should be fine to go out and do their jobs. If they're big foot-lickers (Joseph is) I might rinse their feet off when they come in, until you've had a good rain over it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

BJ,

I'd ask AJ Hicks. He'll know!

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

It depends. Is it 5 or 10%, pretty darn safe. 80% sevin dust, not so safe and not allowed to be used in the kennels in my state.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Before you make any quick decisions, please go to google and search on sevin and dogs. You may also want to check with a animal hospital or poison center.

I did that, didn't find anything, that's why I started this post.

It depends. Is it 5 or 10%, pretty darn safe. 80% sevin dust, not so safe and not allowed to be used in the kennels in my state.

It's 5%

BJ,

I'd ask AJ Hicks. He'll know!

I'm split. I wouldn't use it on my own yard or hounds, unless there were problems that could not be overcome with more suitable candidates. Carbamates are just slightly friendlier than the nicest of the organophosphates (like Malathion), and the really nice thing is that it's virtually non-toxic to wild birds. However, it is highly toxic to honeybees and other insects. It breaks down quickly in soil, with a half-life of about 1-2 weeks, depending upon conditions.

And then you read all the stuff about how relatively safe it is, and then you find out the allowable daily intake (ADI) is 0.01 mg/kg/day, meaning a person who weighs 80 kg (176 pounds) should get no more than 0.80 mg of the stuff in a full day- or about 1/600th the weight of a 500 mg aspirin tablet, and you realize- holy heck. You get that much just opening the box it came in.

The EPA considers it a "likely" human carcinogen.

Unfortunately, the ultimate use of the compound isn't very helpful as the cicada killer wasps have it in for the cicadas, not larger animals. Only the females will sting, and even then it's very uncommon for them to do so.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Well I've already spent about $100 bucks on Aerosol Wasp Killer the past two weeks, not to mention I've put about $800 into my lawn this year, and countless hours and now it's basically ruined.

I hired an exterminator the first year I lived here and spent $190 and they basically did nothing.

This morning there were about 50 of them flying in the back yard (the fenced in part where the boys go to the bathroom)

I'll take my chances on $12.00 worth of Sevin powder.

Unless anybody else has any other suggestions on how to get rid of them.. I'm all ears..

I sent an e-mail to The Orkin Man yesterday and got a response last night.

Straight from The Orkin Man: ANSWER I don't think there is a way to keep them from returning...no insecticide that provides permanent control. WHR

:headwall

My house is on a half acre.. they can fly around the back part of the property all they want, but I DO NOT want them flying/living/burrowing in the fenced in area where the boys go. They are driving me INSANE!!!!!!

Guest longdogs

Apparently putting carbaryl (Sevin) powder in the entrances to their burrows after dusk is the best way to kill them, and fertilizing and watering your lawn to get a thicker turf is the best control. We have a related species here in Oz. They are spectacular but we generally just leave them alone. They aren't aggressive.

Those stupid things are like salmon swimming upstream to spawn. It took me three years to get rid of them here, and then the neighbors were working on a garage and hauled in dirt. I told my neighbors next to them NOT to let the cicada killers live. They ignored me and now they have a metropolis over there.

BJ -- I got up early in the morning and sprayed them in their holes before their wings were dry to fly. Got all of them before they could get out, killed the babies, and then I destroyed their holes. They seem to like dirt with sand in it I'd scout for holes during the day, watch them defend territories, and then I would kill them in the morning as the sun was coming up. I may be going to H-E-double hockeysticks for this one, but they stung Rex on the head hed he was sore for weeks as well as scared for the rest of his life. :(

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Yeah, I've been out there every morning spraying them down and dug up a few holes, filled with wasp spray and refilled back in with Scotts top soil and grass seed and have been watering like crazy. Hasn't helped any... they came back :sad1

Plus at this point, looks like I'd have to dig up my entire yard. There are little holes everywhere (I guess this is where they escape out of when they hatch) but there are only about 5-6 burrows. (the ones that the females dig)

I think I'm gonna play it safe and take the boys out on leash in the front yard for tonight and depending on the situation in the morning, might let them in the yard.

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions guys... PLEASE keep them coming if you can think of anything else. I swear, I'm desparate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well (CROSS YOUR FINGERS) I think the Sevin powder may be working :dunno went out there this morning and there weren't NEARLY as many as there have been. I only saw 3 or 4 (and got them with spray) compared to the approx 40-50 I saw yesterday morning :colgate

:hope:hope :hope :hope :hope

BJ, here is a link to a fact sheet on your pest that may be helpful:

Cicada Killer Wasp Fact Sheet

They seem to recommend treating the individual burrows with a dust product when they are located in areas where they are causing problems.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions guys... PLEASE keep them coming if you can think of anything else. I swear, I'm desparate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried... a tennis racket?

The neighbor was beating them with a broom the other day. She killed so many that she broke the broom handle in half :unsure

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

This is one of those things that makes me really happy I live in the city. I loathe Cicadas and the park across the street from me is full of them. When they start up their group buzzing I live in fear that one will fall on me. The idea of a wasp that kills them is slightly more terrifying. But if they sting your babies -- it's all out war!!!!! Good luck, I hope you get rid of all of them quickly.

We have a bottle of Carbaryl 80% at home. I really don't like the stuff. Like AJ said, it is not pleasant. While it does break down relatively quickly in the environment, the toxicity levels really are quite small. If they are walking through it and you have a foot licker, please wash his feet each time he comes in. Typical of pesticides, it kill indiscriminately, and is extremely toxic to not only honeybees but also earthworms.

Unfortunately, you'll find the same situation with any broad spectrum insecticide. Imidocloprid (a synthetic nicotinoid) is another broad spectrum insecticide and is also used on animals (as Advantage) and has a pretty good safety margin. However, it too is toxic especially to honey bees. :( It's available at most home improvement centers and is sold as Merit (made by Bayer).

I use insecticides in the greenhouse, but we try to be careful with application and keeping it IN the greenhouse, and letting as little as possible into the environment. We also use them in conjunction with Enstar, and IGR-- insect growth regulator that keeps the insects from maturing and breeding. It breaks down quite rapidly, but it's not cheap, and not an "instant kill" product either.

In the yard I do a lot of hand picking and use a lot of insecticidal soaps/oils, though they aren't as effective, I don't mind eating that, as opposed to sevin doused 'maters. :)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Here are some pictures of my back yard (well, and the doggies) :P

Not sure if you can tell or not but the greyhounds are only in the chain link fenced area, my property goes all the way back to the white picked fence in the back ground. I could fit about 5 of the chain linked fenced areas into the remainder of my yard. For what ever reason.. these stoopid wasps like to live IN the chain linked area (they don't live in the back part) :angry: Maybe they like greyhound pee :dunno anyhoo.... here are some pics so you can kind of get an idea of what I'm up against.

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02274.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

these were taken when I was standing up against the white fence at the back of my property (where the bees don't live) <_<

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

ANYHOO.... Not sure if it was the Sevin Dust or because it was cloudy this morning but the bee population has DRASTICALLY went down in size :yay I only saw 4 (yes only 4) this morning and I zapped them with the raid :evil

Then about 10:00 a.m. it POURED for about an hour..

got home this evening and there were a couple more bees flying around (there aren't as many in the evening so not sure if this is an accurate population count)

sooooooooooo... do I need to reapply??? :dunno