Chorney The Shepherd - Update Post 37

Guest loveagrey

Guest loveagrey

Sigh....

Chorney took a bad fall this morning and is really slow to get her bearings back. She's having a lot of trouble moving around and is knuckling over on one of her back feet. She seems to need help getting up from a sitting position, and doesn't seem to have strength left in her back end.

Tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet - she has an appointment to get her shots.

This is so troublesome because we're leaving on Friday for Mexico for 8 days and Chorney is supposed to stay in a kennel while we're gone. I can't ask anyone to take her in. It's not fair to ask someone to meet her high level of needs and have her poop all over their house.

My heart is breaking for my poor old senior lady. I know the end is getting near. Life is getting so hard for her, even though she's still such a happy girl.....

I guess I'm not really looking for advice, just needed to tell someone. DH doesn't want to face the fact that her failing health is bringing her life to an end. Neither do I for that matter, but I'm facing it head on. I can't pretend it's not happening.

So if you guys could spare a few thoughts for my lovely girl, I'd really, really appreciate it. She's been the center of our lives for 13 years.

Edited by loveagrey

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for your girl :grouphug :grouphug

I've always thought she was so beautiful. Prayers for you as well :grouphug

Guest tricolorhounds

Good thought coming Chorney's way... I too am dealing with a senior, Cecily is 14 and 3 months so I know how hard it can be. :grouphug

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug Can you try the dex?

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest sheila

I'm so sorry you are seeing this. I went through the same situation with my Kiowa recently. I'm glad she has a vet visit tomorrow. Hopefully something can be done to ease her current suffering.

I know you don't want advice, but I wonder if at this point she really needs any vaccinations?

Guest loveagrey
I'm so sorry you are seeing this. I went through the same situation with my Kiowa recently. I'm glad she has a vet visit tomorrow. Hopefully something can be done to ease her current suffering.

I know you don't want advice, but I wonder if at this point she really needs any vaccinations?

This is sort of what I'm thinking too. I'm going to discuss everything tomorrow with the vet, including Dex. Hopefully she'll be able to give her something to keep her comfortable for awhile, but at this point, I have to wonder of it's good to prolong things too much longer. I guess we'll see what the vet has to say.

Thanks so much for the good wishes everyone.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Good luck to you and that sweet pupper of yours, I know it is difficult to watch them decline. Will she at least be boarded with your vets office so that someone familiar can help her? :bighug

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Sending prayers to your precious girl. :hope It's so hard when their bodies start to fail but their spirit is strong. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

This is so hard and I'm so sorry you are facing this now. I wish we none of did ever. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Chorney is such a sweet dog. We've had to face this situation with a couple of our senior dogs and it is very hard to say goodbye after the years you've been together. Hopefully your vet will be able to give you some guidance and perhaps give some medication that will make Chorney more comfortable.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Skys_Mom

I wish we could help, having shepherds and all, she would be more than welcome to stay here. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers. I've been where you are. Thankfully, I had neighbors and friends who moved into my apartment for the 4 days I was gone and massaged my girl and took care of her and never left her alone. I owe them so much.

Guest loveagrey
Chorney is cat safe, right??

She is cat safe, yes.

I've been talking to my mom and one of our oldest family friends. My mom reminded me of something my dad said when it was time to put my mare down years ago. It was the hardest thing him or I had ever faced. She was my soul. He said, "Love never dies, they bring all you've given them to heaven to share." That makes me cry just thinking about it. He was a wise, wise man.

My heart is just aching at the thought of leaving her in a kennel alone with strangers. Something else my dad said rings loudly in my head right now. It was something about how a loss of dignity is bearable among family, but a tragedy among strangers.

I don't know.... Maybe it's time to let her go. I need to sleep on it.

Guest caiteag
Chorney is cat safe, right??

She is cat safe, yes.

I've been talking to my mom and one of our oldest family friends. My mom reminded me of something my dad said when it was time to put my mare down years ago. It was the hardest thing him or I had ever faced. She was my soul. He said, "Love never dies, they bring all you've given them to heaven to share." That makes me cry just thinking about it. He was a wise, wise man.

My heart is just aching at the thought of leaving her in a kennel alone with strangers. Something else my dad said rings loudly in my head right now. It was something about how a loss of dignity is bearable among family, but a tragedy among strangers.

I don't know.... Maybe it's time to let her go. I need to sleep on it.

Take your time and think about it... but send me the details of when you will be on vacation and stuff and I will talk to Earl and see if she could stay with us. We went through a LOT of this stuff with Quinn.. so dealing with a senior's needs wouldn't be out of the question.