Finally Decided To Adopt Our First Greyhound

Guest LydzKyd

Guest LydzKyd

We had our home visit tonight and everything went very very well. We'll be adopting tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

Our new family member is named Smokin Motor (Rio). He's 7 years old and has been waiting for his new home since March when his first family returned him. He is white with black spots. We'll post pictures soon.

He walked into our house like he owned it and even left a little "present" for us in the back yard! It was so hard to send him back to the foster home tonight. The house seems empty without him.

I even made a big batch of liver brownies for him this morning. He was so excited to try those.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. We've got quite a bit of what you suggested and will pick up more as we get going.

Hooray!!!! We're getting a greyhound. (Giggle)

:confetti:yay

Edited by LydzKyd

Make up a first aid kit. when we first adopted ours we sure needed it. Keep lots of wrapped gauze in there and some metro gel, others will tell ya what else to keep in the first aid kit.

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

Congrats and best of luck.

I also want to mention that for poop bags we use the ones we get at the supermarket. The plastic biodegradable ones that you can tie shut. We grab A LOT of them when we pack our bags up.

Stuffed kongs to keep your boy busy when you leave and any toes with grunters or squeakers are a good thing.

Can't wait to see pictures of your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest gr8hound47

Welcome to GT, and congrat on your new fur kid. Sounds like everyone has you well covered on what you need for your new boy. Just remember they are truely potato chips, you can't just have one. They will run straight into your heart and that is all she wrote. :lol We now have three and a fourth that is preapdoptied when she is done racing, way down the road. You picked a greyt place for advice. :welcome2

Edited by gr8hound47

Guest jziegler
We had our home visit tonight and everything went very very well. We'll be adopting tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

Our new family member is named Smokin Motor (Rio). He's 7 years old and has been waiting for his new home since March when his first family returned him. He is white with black spots. We'll post pictures soon.

He walked into our house like he owned it and even left a little "present" for us in the back yard! It was so hard to send him back to the foster home tonight. The house seems empty without him.

I even made a big batch of liver brownies for him this morning. He was so excited to try those.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. We've got quite a bit of what you suggested and will pick up more as we get going.

Hooray!!!! We're getting a greyhound. (Giggle)

:confetti:yay

Good for you!

I just say this since I only joined here last week, but I have an additional suggestion for something that you might want which hasn't been mentioned. Consider getting a harness for walking Rio. We have harnesses for all three dogs and like them better for walks than the martingales. Both Premier and Wiggles Wags and Whiskers have good harnesses, we have both for two of the three (one works better under coats, the other without coats).

Good luck, enjoy your first day with you fur kid.

Jim

Guest fatesrelease

Congrats! I hope you find the grey for you soon! I don't have a greyhound yet, so no advice here. But welcome and you should update when you find the grey of your dreams!

Guest Vinnie

WooHoo - a new greyhound family is formed. Congratulations, can't wait to see photos. Did anyone put a camera on your list of must haves? :lol We love photos here, in case you haven't been able to tell from all the pix that everyone posts. But seriously, you will find that your life will never be the same - in a very good way. Congratulations again and welcome.

Guest LydzKyd
WooHoo - a new greyhound family is formed. Congratulations, can't wait to see photos. Did anyone put a camera on your list of must haves? :lol We love photos here, in case you haven't been able to tell from all the pix that everyone posts. But seriously, you will find that your life will never be the same - in a very good way. Congratulations again and welcome.

We posted some pictures in Smokin Motor has a new forever home thread.

Thanks everyone for all of your warmth and support.

Lydia, Grant and Rio

Guest KansasGrey

Very important!!!! Never leave your dog in the crate with his tag collar on. Yes, Kongs are the best. We take the two Kongs out of the freezer and the dogs run for the crates. We have cats so when we go out the dogs are crated.