Finally Decided To Adopt Our First Greyhound

Guest LydzKyd

Guest LydzKyd

We first were introduced to greyhound adoption in 1999 and thought it would be a nice thing to do one day.

Well after spending the day with a lot of nice greyhounds and their people this past Saturday at Grapehounds in NY we decided that one day would be now.

We have just submitted an application to a local greyhound group and are waiting to set up an interview appointment. In the mean time I've been reading, reading, reading. We've both read Retired Greyhounds for Dummies.

My husband and I have never had pets so we're very new to this.

Question to the community:

Besides the obvious things needed for a greyhound (leash, collar, bed, crate, food, water) what else do you recommend we get for our new family member? Is there something you couldn't live without?

We'll keep you posted as to the progress of the adoption. We are really really excited about this.

Special thank you to you greyhound owners who've been at meet and greets these past 9 years. Your kindness in spending time answering our questions is much appreciated.

Guest houndlover

Besides the obvious things needed for a greyhound (leash, collar, bed, crate, food, water) what else do you recommend we get for our new family member? Is there something you couldn't live without?

A couch.... :lol:lol

Seriously though...a muzzle is a good thing to have. You might not think that you will ever need it but you never know. Also, depending on where you live and how cold it gets some type of a dog coat is a must.

Congratulations on finally taking the plunge...I hope that it is everything that you expected. :P

Welcome to Greytalk!

How exciting to be adopting your first grey! These hounds are absolutely life-changing. :wub:

As for the "stuff" - I'd recommend that you get a Kong. We have four of the large ones (for two dogs). It's good to keep one stuffed and in the freezer, in case your pup needs something to distract him/her when you go out, or just as a treat. I'd also pick up something for him/her to chew on. I avoid pigs' ears and rawhide but LOVE bully sticks. They're fully digestible, good for their teeth, and a great way to keep them busy for an hour or so.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Welcome :)

I'd second a few Kongs (invaluable for stuffing with interesting food to keep them occupied when you go out) and some large fluffy squeaky toys.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest weezie

I would say a brush. Mine both loooooove to be brushed. We bought the soft rubbery kind that slides over your hand. It was about $3

Guest AaronsMom

Hooray, glad you'll be entering the fun world with Greyhounds!

Some other things I had or quickly went out to buy (Kongs were number one on my list as well)

Some inexpensive stuffed toys, some with squeakies

Toothbrush and doggie toothpaste - I started attempting to clean teeth a couple of weeks into the transition.

Extra bedding (unless you like moving a bed from room to room) - they tend to follow you wherever you go. Old quilts/comforters work fine.

You'll probably get a collar/leash from your adoption agency - must be a martingale type collar - you'll end up buying more collars later!!

I believe there is a post here (do a search) for emergency medical kit/meds to have on hand.

Compressed rawhide chews

A couple of different treats

You might want to start researching Vets in your area to find one that knows a lot about greys. They have special medical needs, particularly around anesthesia (which hopefully you won't need for a long while!).

Best of Luck!!

Guest Harry702

Welcome to GreyTalk and congrats on your decision to adopt a grey! As others have already said, they are life-changing creatures. :wub:

Aside from the important "stuff" that others have already mentioned, I would say it's equally as important to keep a sense of humor and a good supply of patience. Depending on the group you choose to work with, your new dog may be brand new to home life. Even if you do get a dog who is fostered (as we did), there is still a learning curve for a few things. (For example, it took Harry about 4 weeks to start exploring the house beyond the front living room. It was another 2-3 weeks before he'd try his luck on the tile floor in the kitchen.) Particularly if you've never had pets, your first few weeks (months!) with a new greyhound can be an interesting time. Overall, though, I'd say try to be confident. The most important thing you provide your pup is love. As long as you give him plenty of that, everything else will come along fine!

Best of luck! Be sure to post pictures when you adopt!

Guest ellieb

1. Raised feeder

2. Dog bed(s). Check out your local Costco. They have large beds for less than $20. (Their Kirkland's dog food is good, too.)

3. Poop scoop.

4. Stuffies.

5. Tag collar.

6. Martingale for walks.

7. Leash.

8. Baby gate(s).

9. Throw/area rugs.

10. Patience, love and a sense of humor.

Just some quick tips:

1. Nonfat plain yogurt will help with gas.

2. Canned pumpkin will help firm up stool.

3. Flour will stop bleeding.

4. Salmon oil is wonderful for coats.

Best tip? GreyTalk is a WONDERFUL resource!!!

Ellie

Guest LydzKyd

Thanks to everyone's kind words and advice. I've added all of your suggestions to my list. My husband and I went to a pet store last night. We're starting to feel like expectant parents!

There was a professional trainer there who asked if we needed help. When she found out we were planning to adopt a greyhound she told us she has several of them at home and spent 20 minutes with us just before closing time, which was very kind of her.

Greyhounds must attract the nicest people.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. We'll be sure to post pictures of the new family member when he/she arrives.

-- Lydia

Guest greytkidsmom

You will find your new pup well worth the wait. May I add some suggestions?

The dollar store (dollar tree) has a few items I have found indispensable -

poop bags (50 for $1) - they are scented and have tie handles

measuring cups and spoons - for measuring food and all sorts of other stuff

toothbrushes - the baby toothbrushes are just the right size for doggie teeth

empty spray bottles (to fill with Nature's Miracle) - I keep a little bottle in every room just in case

dish towels - good for so many things

At the pet store, you might want to pick up some Nature's Miracle. It is an enzyme cleaner that gets any kind of stain out of the carpet. I get the gallon bottle and then fill smaller squirt bottles.

Guest LydzKyd
May I add some suggestions?

Those are wonderful suggestions. We have a dollar store near us so I'll pick up some stuff there. Thanks for the Nature's Miracle suggestion. We had read about cleaners but didn't know which one to get. I'll add that to my list as well.

Thank you greytkidsmom for chiming in.

A first dog? A lot of patience & a good sense of humor! Cody was my first dog ever & it took about 2 weeks of "What have I DONE??? I can't DO this!!" before I relaxed & she relaxed & we lived happily ever after... So if you feel overwhelmed, that's natural - you'll learn...

And ENJOY!!!

Welcome to the cult... uh, I mean website!! Yeah.. that's it!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest connerb1

Welcome, I can't be much help as we just got our first Greyhound Saturday. She is so loveable. We are still getting used to her and she is still getting use to us, but I can already tell we made the right choice................Bob

Guest LydzKyd

Thanks again everyone for your warm wishes and words of advice. My list is 50+ items long! But that's for multiple toys and things I think might be interesting in the future.

We have our interview with the adoption agency on Wednesday night. I'm so excited. It's fun joining this cult... er.. website!

Guest IrskasMom

Welcome to GT :wave:wave:wave We are obsessed with our Hounds, as you soon will find out . Thou stick

around . CONGRATS for giving a beautiful Hound a Forever Home. It's so worth it . :confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

Guest LydzKyd
They sell scented poop bags; see I've had Zim for 4 years & you learn something new everyday. I must get some :colgate

I hope the scent isn't poop! :blush Seriously, scented poop bags sounds like a greyt idea.

Guest Stretchy

Hello and WELCOME!!!!! :confetti:yay:yay:confetti

It took each of our hounds several weeks to adjust to home life until they began to display their unique personalities. Not that they were incredibly withdrawn before, but some dogs are thought to be shy at first but then blossom into the life of the party.

I would suggest a product called Nature's Miracle to get rid of stains/odors from carpet and fabrics.

I never realized how wonderful these dogs are as pets until we adopted Stretchy two years ago. We couldn't stop at one, so we fostered for our group until we adopted Stretchy's littermate in November. Overall, we must have fostered about 10 hounds for varying lengths of time. It truly is a testament to the breed's temperament that they have all been good-natured, loving dogs who always seem so happy to be around you.

Since our dogs raced into our hearts, they have given us immeasurable happiness and have made us laugh and smile every single day. You will soon wonder how you lived without a greyhound for so long and will probably adopt more to make up for lost time :lol;)

We first were introduced to greyhound adoption in 1999 and thought it would be a nice thing to do one day.

Well after spending the day with a lot of nice greyhounds and their people this past Saturday at Grapehounds in NY we decided that one day would be now.

We have just submitted an application to a local greyhound group and are waiting to set up an interview appointment. In the mean time I've been reading, reading, reading. We've both read Retired Greyhounds for Dummies.

My husband and I have never had pets so we're very new to this.

We'll keep you posted as to the progress of the adoption. We are really really excited about this.

Special thank you to you greyhound owners who've been at meet and greets these past 9 years. Your kindness in spending time answering our questions is much appreciated.

The best book I've read (and I have a bookshelf full because I'm a research nut) was Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia A. Branigan. I read the Retired Greyhounds for Dummies as well and it was good. I just recommend as much research as possible because everyone has a differant idea.

I bought a leash called "the ultimate leash" which I find indispensible. It has a built in traffic handle which we have to have because they bolt so hard and fast that I can grab the close traffic handle to stop them from choking themselves or hurting themselves. My boys walk well on a leash until a cat or bunny comes. (I took the cat/small dog aggressive ones because I have no cats or small dogs). That way you can walk on a normal length but have that extra security. We also use tag collars to keep tags on so they don't have to wear martingales in the house.

And my boys love, love, love stuffed toys with floppy arms and legs.

Depending on what sort of activities you plan to do with your dog, I'd recommend...

1. COAT - depending on the weather where you are.

2. DOG WHISTLE - I trained Jackson to this straight away, & it's essential if you can't always shout loud enough. He also responds better to this if I need him back straight away, & he comes running like the wind (always exciting to watch!). I try to always reward him with a good treat when I use this, just to reinforce the learning. Of course you won't need this if you don't plan to let him off lead.

3. BOOTS - these are essential if you plan to go in the country. We take Jackson mountain biking sometimes, & without them he gets covered in cuts & scraped with no hair to protect his skinny little legs.

4. SQUEAKY TOY/BALL - If he/she like chasing toys, then this is a great way for him to have fun in the park & to get lots of exercise. I have a heavy duty rubber one that he can't kill (http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Ruffians-Fish-Large/dp/B000G6T34W/ref=pd_sim_k_4)

5. MUZZLE - essential if your dog's not good with small dogs, etc.

6. GROOMING GLOVE/BRUSH - I also bought a shedding blade when his kennel coat was coming out.

7. NAIL CLIPPERS

8. POOP BAGS - I use biodegradable corn starch nappy sacks. This way, if you're ever out in the countryside away from any bins, you can always bury it & it's gone in a couple of weeks. Also much greener.

I don't bother with a raised feeder - I just plonk his bowl on a kitchen chair for him & he's never knocked it off yet.

Good luck with your new dog. How exciting!!

- t

Guest LydzKyd
Hello and WELCOME!!!!! :confetti:yay:yay:confetti

It took each of our hounds several weeks to adjust to home life (snip)

I would suggest a product called Nature's Miracle to get rid of stains/odors from carpet and fabrics.

(snip)

You will soon wonder how you lived without a greyhound for so long and will probably adopt more to make up for lost time :lol;)

Thanks for the advice to be patient. We have to be patient as our children grow and their personalities develop, so it makes sense that it would be the same for our hounds.

I have a bottle of Nature's Miracle coming already! Good to get second, third, forth endorsements.

I think you are very correct about living w/o a greyhound for so long. Already I see a second hound in our future! Oh the fun.

The best book I've read (and I have a bookshelf full because I'm a research nut) was Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia A. Branigan. I read the Retired Greyhounds for Dummies as well and it was good. I just recommend as much research as possible because everyone has a differant idea.

I bought a leash called "the ultimate leash" which I find indispensible. It has a built in traffic handle which we have to have because they bolt so hard and fast that I can grab the close traffic handle to stop them from choking themselves or hurting themselves. My boys walk well on a leash until a cat or bunny comes. (I took the cat/small dog aggressive ones because I have no cats or small dogs). That way you can walk on a normal length but have that extra security. We also use tag collars to keep tags on so they don't have to wear martingales in the house.

And my boys love, love, love stuffed toys with floppy arms and legs.

I'll see if I can get the Branigan book from our library. I'm rereading the Dummies book.

I'll take a look for the "ultimate leash".

I put a few toys on my wish list with floppy arms and legs. I'll make sure I get them first.

Thanks for the greyt advice. :colgate

Depending on what sort of activities you plan to do with your dog, I'd recommend...

(List snipped)

Good luck with your new dog. How exciting!!

- t

Those are great suggestions. I never thought to bury the waste, so biodegradable bags sound like a wonderful idea. The Whistle is also a wonderful idea I hadn't thought of. I'll be sure to add all of your ideas to my wishlist.

Thanks again.

Congratualations...did we meet at Grapehounds?

We're the ones without the accent :lol

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LydzKyd
Congratualations...did we meet at Grapehounds?

We're the ones without the accent :lol

What accent? (I was originally from that area! :huh:P ) Funny thing is I lived in Toronto for 18 years. I completely lost my Canadian accent 15 minutes after moving back to the US!

I think we did meet! Is Bailey the shy gal with her name on the collar? If so we met. I was wearing a straw hat with upturned brim.

Edited by LydzKyd