Old Age Or Something Else?

Buddy was 11 in January. He's been steadily slowing down over the past six months to a year. I expect that. However, he recently seems very reluctant to do stairs. Not a real big issue in our house, since it's mainly one floor. We do go to the family room in the basement each evening, though, and this is how I know of his reluctance.

Even a few weeks ago, he'd come downstairs readily. Going up was a different matter...he would make a few "runs" at it (although he wasn't really running) before he actually got going.

Now, he won't even come down. :( He stands at the top of the steps and cries. Last night I tried putting his harness on and helping him but he wanted no part of that. So we gave up and came upstairs to be with him. A few nights ago he DID come down and thank God DH was standing at the bottom of the stairs because Buddy did start to tumble. :eek Since then Buddy won't even attempt it.

I ordered, and have been giving him, some of that "Dog Gone Pain" stuff, it was recommended to me. He's been taking it for 2 1/2 weeks and it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Even the two steps from our kitchen into the upstairs family room seem to give him a bit of trouble....

I might also mention that last week one day he was waiting to go outside; I went up behind him and sort of patted his back end/hip area (not at all roughly, and nothing I haven't done a thousand times before) and he cried out. :(

So my question is, is this simply old age, arthritis or whatever, and to be expected? Should I give him maybe a buffered aspirin or something?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Winterwish

It could be arthritis,or maybe he hurt himself when you weren't home. A vet would have the ability to feel for certain areas of tenderness and thru' palpation alone,may be able to pinpoint the source of Buddy's discomfort.

Sending good thoughts out for Buddy! :dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

Guest ss556

Sorry to hear about Buddy. Alan just turned 11 also and he has slowed down the past 6 mos. or so. He's slipped many times and has become very leary with floors. He never did stairs except for the front stoop or back of 3 steps. He too has pain in the rear and weakness as well. We had xrays, blood work done. He is a kidney disease dog so he is limited to pain meds so I use Zeel, a homeopathic pill, for arthritis and it seems to have helped him a bit. He does get one baby aspirin daily as well. See what you vet thinks and good luck with Buddy.

Vet visit. Take a printout of this along with you: http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm

Hugs to your Buddy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Could be that he slipped and is now reluctant to hurt himself...

Are you giving him Fresh Factor? Diane turned me on to that and now I have all my guys on it. Good stuff!

I'd take him for a vet visit to be on the safe side... may have tweeked something.

:hope Sending prayers its nothing serious for Buddy! :grouphug

Thanks for the link, Batmom. I was thinking about LS, actually. I knew there was something they get involving hind-end weakness, but couldn't remember what it was called.

Wouldn't you know, I just had Buddy at the vet a few weeks ago for his annual checkup. Other than the gradual slowing down, and reluctance to come UP steps, he was OK at that point. Naturally. :rolleyes: I am pretty sure his semi-tumble down the stairs is what's really spooked him about coming down them now. Thank heavens the steps are carpeted, at least he didn't get hurt.

He seems just fine when you get the leash out. Of course. But by about halfway through the walk he really slows down, and the walks have become much shorter in the past six months or so. I do notice a little toenail scraping, maybe a bit more than usual. He doesn't seem to have a limp or anything. He did cry when he got up off the floor to go to bed last night, too.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest longdogs

It is most likely some sort of physical pain. It could be arthritis or something else entirely. Get him checked to identify the problem.

Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending Prayers and White Light.

I would do a vet visit. My seniors have been know to have supplements, acupuncture, whirlpool therapy and pain meds. I wish I was near a doggie chiropractor. I have had many reach 14, 15 and 16 years of age. I'd like to think I am doing something right.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Melissa, I'm hoping your sweet guy is okay. We'll be thinking lots of good thoughts for him. Please let us know how he's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

This is va ery typical health issue for greyhounds as they age.

I'll be giving a talk When I Am Older at Dewey. Just gave it at Greyhounds of the Bluegrass last week.

You can order the booklet for only $2 at Greyhound Gang. .

Tons of good info to help greyhounds age as well as they can.

Some advice:

1. Joint supplements - 1500 mg a day of each of them - glucosamine hcl, MSM, chondroitin, vitamin C. You can learn about these at Greyhound Gang - Get Up & Go. . You must purchase high quality, and give the correct dose DAILY.

2. Acupuncture - it truly helps

Holistic Vet List by state here.

3. Rugs everywhere.

4. Moderate exercise to keep muscles strong.

5. Keep your greyhound at a good weight - three ribs and hip bones showing.

6. Adequan shots - basically intensive joint supplement action

There's a lot more information on my site and in the booklet. You can do something to help. Eleven is not old.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Definitely would get him to the vet again. There are too many possibilities to make a guess at. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Not to get off the Subject but what is Fresh Factor ???? :dunno

Fresh Factors link

My three, and quite a lot of other houndies, are on Fresh Factors and Joint Health.

I have used these supplements for many years. They have kept my puppers from getting achy and creaky as they get older.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg