Loss Of Appetite And A Little Blood

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

My boy decided this morning that he didn't want breakfast - once I gave him a small treat and put his bowl in his bed with him he did eat it. But he NEVER loses his appetite. He was just as enthusiastic as usual about his walk, but I noticed when he went on the walk, there was grass and a little blood in it - very soft too. He didn't want dinner tonight either - I got him to eat about half.

We had been feeding him Eagle Pack holistic lamb and rice for a long time and he was fine on it. We decided to try the Kirkland lamb and rice as we'd heard such good things about it, but after a whole 40lb bag, they still had very soft poop, so we decided to switch back to Eagle Pack Holistic, but the fish blend one (supposed to be easier on the tummy?) Anyway - we are ner the end of a big bag of this - he seems to have loved it so far, so I don't think it's the food. He didn't get into anything bad that I'm aware of. The only other thing is that we have been using a variation of Batmoms meatloaf (found posted here - thanks:)) as an add in, but I changed that to a chicken/rice add in about a week or two ago as I had some in the freezer to use up.

if you give them pepcid, how much and how strong do you use?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

There is something going around. My FOUR have had liquid poop for over a week. We are up to fasting now and continuing the 250mg Flagyl 2x a day. As of tonight, some of their poop is a little more formed.

We are bringing in a poop sample in the morning of one of theirs. Whatever one has, they all have at this point.

Their appetites are decreased as well.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks guys - I'll pick up some pepcid in the morning. I have to work tomorrow pm, but I'm off on Tuesday, so if he's no better by then with the pepcid, I'll call the vet.

Guest greyt_learner

Well, he still won't eat his food, he even turned down cheese! He did have a little milk after his walk (I know it's supposes to be bad, but mine get a little fat free and they've always been fine), and he will eat his peanut butter/honey treats. His poop was firm and seemed clear this morning, so I'll give him some pepcid and see how he is at dinner. I really hope it's not HGE! The only other thing I noticed this morning was that he was reluctant to jump in and out of the car, but still very enthusiastic about going for his walk.

Guest becca97

hi,

I know this might sound a bit eek, but i'd take to vet asap, we just had this with my old collie, she never gets sick, adores food, plays etc; well we have had some humid weather here so last mondays lack of appetite and sluggishness i put down to the weather, tuesday she seemed a little better though with dodgy (read sloppy with bits of blood) poop, we took to vet anyway to be safe turned out to be a kidney infection, one week later and a course of medicine she is cleared up and mostly back to normal(including appetite and ball obsession), though i suspect we will have to keep feeding her light food such as chicken and rice, egg and rice etc for the remainder of her life.

and a few years ago we had similar symptom with my sheltie but that was HGE and led to hospital stays and heck load of worry.

If its an upset tummy you get piece of mind and vet advice, if it is more serious the earlier it is caught and treated the better.

beccaxx

Edited by becca97

Guest LindsaySF
He just had his fecal done last week and it came back clear - could worms still be a problem?

What method did they use? Fecal floatation?

He could still have worms. Some worms only shed eggs every few days, so depending on when you examine the stool sample, you might not see eggs. Also, the protozoans (like Giardia) are very small and often not seen in a fecal sample.

And, some vets and vet techs miss stuff. I can't tell you how many "negative" samples I've found eggs in.

It might not even be worms at all, but by deworming you eliminate that possibility. If he still has symptoms after the deworming, you know it is something else going on.

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and the good suggestions. He is eating again, and after his poop looking better yesterday am, it was horrible again last night. He just ate breakfast, so I'll see how his poop is this morning, and if it's still icky (technical term there :lol ) then I'll call the vet this morning, and I will check to see how they did the fecal and see if there is a mistake there. Thanks everyone - his behavior is perfectly normal and he has never thrown up, so that's good at least.

Sierra came down with similar symptoms a few weeks back. She had bad diarrhea with some blood in it. I ran her to the vet that morning. She has a bacterial infection. She wasn't eating, tired not herself. She was given Flagyl for 10days. She seemed to not be any better so I called the vet back and ask if they tested for Giardia. She said they did not and its hard to find on the stool sample. I told her that I had standing water in my back yard most of the spring and it was like a swamp back there. So with that said we have treated with Panacur once, and this week she will start her second go round since this is a hard parasite to get under control. She is also doing another round of Flagyl. I feel frustrated for the dog since she lost weight, so we are giving her a probiotic, prozyme and she turns her nose up at her kibble. I have been putting rice with it to make sure she eats something and making sure she has plenty to drink. She has some good poos and then its back to soup. We going to try this regiment, but if it doesn't clear it up then further testing will need to be done. I just got Ali over a horrible bladder infection that developed crystals in the spring.