Convenia!

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

Mandy has had a chronic bladder/UTI for a LOOOONNG time.

The last culture done showed a 3+ blood, and e coli, and rods and all kinds of nasty bacteria.

She is the WORST pilltaker EVER!!!

Yesterday the vet called and said, we've got Convenia, want to treat her with that?

I said, HE77 yeah!!!! :D

I am soooo happy :yay that they have *finally* come out with an injectable antibiotic!

Has anyone else used this for their pets?

:clap Pat

That's great. I've never heard of it. Misty has a problem always getting UTI's although she's easy to give pills to.But how often is it given?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytexplorer

Give it once. It can be given again after 2 weeks if needed.

Cats can also get the injection, but it can't be given again for a while.

I haven't used it for my own crew, but we've been using it at the clinic at which I work for about two months now. As far as I know, it's been working quite well for skin infections - I don't know of any patients who have had to have a second injection.

That's interesting that it's being given for a UTI - that's an off-label use. Convenia is only labeled for use in skin infections/abscesses/wounds. I wonder if your clinic is starting trials to get Convenia labeled for use in UTI's.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

A quick Google search turned up some research in Europe with this drug for UTI's. Sounds like it's worth a try! Hope this clears up that UTI! :hope

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal...=1&SRETRY=0

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greytexplorer
I haven't used it for my own crew, but we've been using it at the clinic at which I work for about two months now. As far as I know, it's been working quite well for skin infections - I don't know of any patients who have had to have a second injection.

That's interesting that it's being given for a UTI - that's an off-label use. Convenia is only labeled for use in skin infections/abscesses/wounds. I wonder if your clinic is starting trials to get Convenia labeled for use in UTI's.

The UTI culture showed the vet a list of antibiotics that would clear up the UTI/other boogers.

One of the antibx is in Convenia (I think it's cephalexin?).

I don't think the clinic is doing any kind of trial because I had to pay for the shot. $89 to be exact. ouch

BUT, for the convenience of not having to give her 2 pills three times a day for 10 days, and not having to pay for multiple trips to the vet, multiple urinalyses, multiple cultures, etc......this is a bargain. If it works, of course.

I know there are some owners out there who are "wipers", and I think I will have to become one, too, in order to prevent future infections :blink::rolleyes::lol

Guest greyscot

My non grey Shirley has had Convenia. In her case she had an issue with her throat - the vet thought it was a growth but she also thought there was a bad infection. Because her throat was so sore Shirley stopped eating so there was no way of getting a pill down her without stressing her out so hence Convenia. She had no side effects and it cleared up the throat infection. I would have no hesitation to use this again especially as my dogs can spot a pill hidden in the smelliest food or treat and are masters at eating the treat but not the pill :lol

I agree it's expensive compared to standard antibiotics but I think it's worth it to save all the bother!!!

Guest greytexplorer

Oh, greyscot, thanks for the input! I'm so glad your Shirley got well after having had the shot. :)

And as I said earlier, Mandy is the worst dog to give a pill to. Sounds a LOT like your Shirley. I've had Mandy eat a chicken salad sandwich and spit out the two capsules that I had so cleverly hidden. grrrrrr it really is a talent they have, isn't it? :lol

It is really a great product... especially in cats. Believe it or not... $89 is actually a pretty good deal for what the drug actually costs!!!

As someone else mentioned... using it for UTIs is "extra label" but it has been used that way in Europe and Pfizer even has data on its use for UTIs if you ask them. If I had a bad pill taker... I'd use it in a heartbeat. It is actually effective for many oral pathogens as well. : )

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

It is really a great product... especially in cats. Believe it or not... $89 is actually a pretty good deal for what the drug actually costs!!!

As someone else mentioned... using it for UTIs is "extra label" but it has been used that way in Europe and Pfizer even has data on its use for UTIs if you ask them. If I had a bad pill taker... I'd use it in a heartbeat. It is actually effective for many oral pathogens as well. : )

After I posted, I was wondering if maybe Europe was using it for UTI's - I happened to be the nurse on a case when Dr. Jim was explaining about Convenia to a reluctant client, and he was talking about how it's new here in the US because of FDA approval times, but it's been used in Europe for (at least) a few years now. (She ended up approving the injection and I saw the patient yesterday - the skin infection was completely resolved.)

And $89 is a really good deal. It would've been $150-$190 for a greyhound at my clinic. And I believe we're about to adjust the price a little higher now that we've gone through a few bottles and have a feel for what the drug costs us vs. what we're charging for it.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).