Gus & His Broken Toe - Update On Healing

Guest Vinnie

Guest Vinnie

Burpdog (Diane) Thank you for connecting me with Marilyn - hydrotherapy is amazing! And Marilyn thank you for taking the time with me. I feel so much better and more equipped to handle this now. Gus' breeder has also been most helpful and calming, along with all the greyt gt'ers here.

And thanks hubcitypam - I will go find the magical emt gel - I am not familiar with the store but I don't drive much but dh does and I am sure he can find it and we can stop after the vets tomorrow.

Gus is doing much better today and I am not so queazy - the white is not showing through the hole as much now and while he licks it now and then he is not obsessive about it so no more blood pouring out. Gus also got lots of get well quick nosey kisses from gracegirl (Lauren, Fenway & Grace) today so I know he'll be better in no time. Not to mention all his buddies here - Marlee, Asti, Spyder, Kylie & new friends too.

Will post again after the vets tomorrow afternoon. Gus is using his paw to walk and jump and fly (especially when he can get kisses from Lauren) through the air. He is limping and his paw is going to take awhile, but I will take that over what he has been going through and what our vet said if we can't get the pressure sore/infection under control.

Thanks again everybody.

Guest LindsaySF

I actually would not wrap it. Bacteria thrives on moist environments, and keeping it wrapped (or covered in ointments) sometimes does more harm than good. It needs a chance to dry out and scab over. I would clean it with water if it gets dirty (and it will, being on the foot), but not apply too much stuff to it.

To stop him from licking it I would use a muzzle with stool guard. Or a big sock, something very loose that won't trap moisture against the wound.

WAG had a dog last year, Spencer, that had a would that would not heal. (See the old thread HERE). The key was keeping it dry and stopping Spencer from licking it. Granulex spray also came in handy. It helps wounds granulate, and I don't think dogs like the taste of it.

When my Liddy broker her toe the more wrapping I did, the more problems it created. My vet gave me an antibiotic powder to help keep the would dry and honestly, the less I wrapped the wounds the better it got. It is keeping the dog from licking the wounds that is the objective (but they say their saliva has good enzymes to help clean the wound??). I was fortunate to be a stay at home mom to my critters both skin and fur. I supervised her 24/7 until she could be alone and then I would dress the wound with a baby sock and a little tape to keep it up (loosely) and use one of those e-collars when I was not near her.

Best of luck, it is a difficult challenge.

Janet & Liddy

Katy, Texas

but been all over

Guest zoolaine

oh Baby Gus, I'm so sorry that you have that sore on your leg. I've done some wound care on humans and from the pictures you posted the wound itself looks pretty good - the huge thing is infection. My non-grey Briley had a little hot spot on his front leg that he licked and licked and licked - he is a little OCD anyways - and it took forever to heal, we had to wrap it to keep him from continually disrupting the healing process.

Little Zali sends kisses and love nibbles

Dere Gus,

I had da SAME TING happen to me! I gots a bwoke tow and Mama tooks me to da E-vet place. She was vewy scared and I cudnt go to my favowite Doktor Todd. So da doktor at da E-vet had to amputates ma toe and den she puts on dis HUMONGus banage all ober my foots an up to my nee. I dint lik it vewy much! Dey sayz to leeve it on for TWO HOLE WEEKS! Mama thot that waz too long and called dem on the ringy-fone. Dey tolls her to leev it on and I gots ouchies unnerneeth da banage dat lookt jes like yorz.

I hads to go bak to dat vet plase evewy week so dey culd change my banage - I HATES DAT PART! Mama thot she waz a bad mama too, but it waznt her falt - she waz jes doin wat dey said.

It waz a long time but itz all better now. Ebben if I'ze only gots tree tows on my foot!

Da Dude

2939685630013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

Dude's Mom here - I know it looks bad, but it will get better! Dude actual amputation healed just fine, but trying to get the pressure sores healed was an ordeal. I wish I had known about EMT Gel while Dude was going through this. BTW - I saw some at PetSmart the other day (after I had ordered it from Amazon.com unfortunately).

I will definitely follow my instincts the next time. I knew that splint had to come off but because I'd never had to deal with anything like this before, I did what they said and my poor baby paid for it.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending more hugs today. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Vinnie

Oh Man Dude - dat is horryble! Mama sez from now on - never ever on splintz again! So sorry 'bout your toesie - they didn't have to do dat to me but mama has to now do da wadder therapy and da phyzikal therapy ebberyday. She is gonna make daddy man stop and get that mirakle gel for me tamarrow. I went to my lady doktor today and she said I look much bedder den she and mama talked torture behind my back when I leftded da room! How rude is dat?!!! I am so glad you is bedder now. Mama loves your handsome face and always smiles when she sees your pikture - and den she lets out a squeal and sez Dude - she's really kinda funny in da head but me and my sissy will keep her anyway - she's trained really well. Oh, and tanks Dudes mommy - petsmart is much closer as we habs two by our house.

Hey Zali tanks for da kisses and da nibbles - how iz your shots comin? Mama sez when we come up to see our friends up dere she wants to see if we can meet so we can play! I hope my paw is all bedder by den! We will have so much fun!

And thanks again to everyone here for checking on our sweet boy. We will go back next week for another re-check and they will take xrays of both paws and wrists to compare - she is still more concerned about the wrist & wound than the toe. I will be working with Gus this week on different excercises for flexion and resistance along with getting him to use his foot more without running and jumping like he is want to do every chance he gets. And he's fast and sneaky as dh learned when he came outside this afternoon and before he could shut the door Gus had run out beside him, no leash, and was across the yard to me! My dh knew he was in hot water so he walked over to our yard tools and handed me the shovel! He didn't want me to have to work too hard while killing him he said. :lol:lol We are hoping that with the therapy and gel and hydro therapy we can get him back to the way he was. In the meantime, we hope to keep him "calm & quiet" which anyone that has a greyhound puppy knows is definitely an oxymoron - calm and quiet greyhound puppy, yeah, right!!! What a funny person our lady doc is! Will post again soon for updated pix and how therapy is going along with next weeks visit. Again, thanks everyone for keeping our "baby" boy in your thoughts and prayers, I know that's what is helping him to heal fast.

Guest Vinnie
We are thinking of you! Hoping Gus is healing!!!

Thanks so much - he is doing so much better! We are doing physical therapy and water therapy at home with him and the wound is healing nicely and he is walking and using his paw (he is definitely right paw oriented). When we went out last night he was standing on his sore paw and lifting his other while going potty - that made me feel so much better. He really wants to run and we won't let him yet, still being very restrictive. We go back to the vet on Monday for another re-check and x-rays to compare both paws/wrist - she wants to make sure that they are both strong looking. I took some pix earlier and will try to post later.

Hugs to your gang - hope everyone is continuing to heal as well.

Guest zoolaine

Glad to hear Gus is doing better! It's cool that you are doing therapy with him. Zali finished her shots last week so in a few more days she is free! It would be very fun to get those two together. I'm sure Zali's sibling would appreciate someone else entertaining her.

Guest Vinnie

We are hoping that he can do some restrictive (on lead) running over the next couple of weeks as we are going to have slumber party guests Grace and Fenway over for a couple of days and he gets so excited when they come over. And now that he is bigger he can actually play with Fenway and Grace and Gracie can watch the two boys and keep them in their place :lol

I am sure he would love to come play with Zali too, not to mention Gracie. When I get the all clear I will definitely let everyone know.

And yes, positive progress is wonderful. And while it is nothing compared to what you have been through with poor Shanti, I am so glad it is getting better. I was so afraid that we were going to have deeper issues with his right front leg and I don't think I would have handled it well. As it is, during the time he had it splinted, all I could think of was our Angel Vinnie as he was in a cast on that leg after the osteo diagnosis until the amputation - and boy, were there a lot of memories flooding back.

So thank you all - will post after xrays on Monday. Hopefully the toe bone is healed and his bone structure will be solid on both sides. Once he can run again he should be able to build up his front foot again and the muscles should bring the wrist area straight again.

We are hoping that he can do some restrictive (on lead) running over the next couple of weeks as we are going to have slumber party guests Grace and Fenway over for a couple of days and he gets so excited when they come over. And now that he is bigger he can actually play with Fenway and Grace and Gracie can watch the two boys and keep them in their place :lol

Fenway will be SOOOOO excited if Gus gets the "all clear" to be a crazy puppy again! Is his momma ready though? Cuz this is what your house will be like while mine are there:

:offwall:pinkele:pepper:pinkele:neener:pepper:couchjump:offwall:pepper:couchjump:offwall:pinkele:rivethead:crazy

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest greyt2love

Oh, man, I posted this morning very early, right before GT went down for a backup.. I guess it didn't come though since I don't see the post. We were just checking to se ehow Gus was doing. he has been on my mind, and Marlee wanted to know how her buddy was doing, too. Sounds like good progress is being made and we are so happy to hear that !!!

Guest redreed

Hey Gus!!

Spyder just got back from his "visit" to the vet's!! But he wants to let Gus know that we are all thinking about you and hoping the vet visit went well and you get to be a crazy puppy-boy again!!!

lots of snuggles

Guest Vinnie

Hi everyone - time for an update (yes - I am late but we have been at the hospital with my mom all week and things are just now getting back to normal and I finally had a chance to upload some photos).

Ok - we did our re-check with the vet Monday evening - Gus was so excited - when he went in, everyone knew him by name and he got lots of loving. We finally got him to stand on the scale - 61.9 lbs and yet he looks skinny as a rail - then Dr. Amy and Dr. Melinda came out to get him and take him back as they did x-rays on both paws for comparison - his no longer broken toe has "good calluses" on the bone and the wrist is strong so no more worries about infection eroding the bone - :confetti - his right front foot is still turned out from the splint and is very flat - they expect the foot to turn back and the paw to knuckle-up again as he works it more and more - he is on restricted leash movement still for the next 2 - 3 weeks just to make sure we don't do a re-break - and you can already see his paw starting to strengthen and knuckle-up - thank goodness. Now mind you - leash restricted or not - he can still make a very small area seem like a huge play area with all his contortions, jumps and crazy antics (see his new post in c&f with his new gorilla) so we will try going on lots of walks to help contain our strong mini mule and to keep him active in an attempt to keeping him calm on his restricted leash movement.

Below are some new photos showing his foot and paw - the vet was very happy with how well he is doing - we told her it was due to the wonderful people at gt in addition to their (the vets) help. When a houndie is this loved, they get better faster - only because he can give hugs better now! Thanks again to everyone for their advice and healing thoughts. Nothing squeamish in the photos below:

the first two pix were taken about 2 weeks ago:

IMGP0375.jpg

IMGP0376.jpg

the following photos were taken 8-8-08:

IMGP0386.jpg

IMGP0638.jpg

IMGP0631.jpg

IMGP0632.jpg

IMGP0644.jpg

IMGP0653.jpg

IMGP0658.jpg

Edited by Vinnie