Sign/symptoms Of Lp?

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

Any help you can give would be great. I'm just wondering about a hound, and this came to mind. I could be WAY off base too.

It seems that Dr. Stack's site is down for me right now.

Here is a pdf of her information. I'm sure there are other sites with more information, but I like Dr. Stack because it's fairly short and right to the point.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumb...al_Stenosis.pdf

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

If you're seeing rough/fast breathing after very little exertion, or during no exertion, a quick x-ray of torso and esphageal area is worth the $. Took us a couple of tries but that is how we found Batman's problem. Which was not LP. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

NEVER MIND! :blush

I'm dyslexic and totally read that as LS. But I are Florida skool edjukated too. :lol :lol :lol Reading was opsional. ;)

I believe Audry has experience with LP. :)

So anyway there is a good article on LS for future reference. :rofl :rofl :rofl

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I'm dyslexic and totally read that as LS. But I are Florida skool edjukated too. :lol :lol :lol Reading was opsional. ;)

You dipstick! :lol

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

You dipstick! :lol

Yup! :star But I wear that dipstick with pride! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

LS=lumbosacral stenosis; relatively common condition in older large breed dogs, affecting lower back / back legs

LP=laryngeal paralysis

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GiJenn51

Well.... Lots of coughing after drinking, or getting excited... Ruled out heartworm... Just looking for other reasons. Nothing to worry about at this point.

Guest KennelMom

hmmm....I've not really noticed any unusual coughing with Grandpa and his LP. Mostly, as Batmom mentioned, it's a very heavy, very raspy breathing after little exertion and exacerbated by the heat and/or stress. At first I thought maybe he was getting pnuemonia or something. The bark also changes and many LP dogs will sound like debarked dogs...a cough-like raspy bark that's not very loud at all. Also agree with Batmom that an xray is money well spent.

Edited by KennelMom