Claire Is Scratching Her Ear Raw.

Guest rosebudd

Guest rosebudd

Hello all Claire over the past few days has been scratching her ear so hard that she has bruises inside of her ear. I cleaned it and there was nothing there. I am wondering if she may have some bug bites because she was also scratching her neck just not as bad as her ear. I gave her a benedryl to see if it might be an allergic thing and it didn't help her. Anything I can do to help her stop itching? Anything I can put on it? It just looks very painful. She is on frontline and I did a head to toe comb over and didn't find any fleas. I did use a new shampoo but that was a month ago and she didn't scratch until just this week. Any thoughts would be great. I have a vet appt. for right after grape hounds just in case.

I would get her into the vet right away. If she has an infection she will need antibiotics.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I agree with the vet - don't want it to get worse. And if it's hurting some dogs will snap when touched in the area just because they are in pain (even though they're too stoic to show it).

Also, Benadryl doesn't work for everyone - there are other options though, hopefully your vet can suggest one. I know dogs hate those lampshade elizabethan collars but if you have one it should help keep her away from the ear for now.

Yes, sounds like it could be an ear infection. Just because you can't see any discharge in the ear doesn't mean there's no infection. I'd get her seen by a vet as soon as you can, as the itching from an infected ear can drive you mad (I speak from experience!) and you don't want it to get any worse.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

The Flashman did that once and we got him right into the vet as soon as he started scratching and he had a nasty ear infection.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.