Ernie's Fear Of The Outside -- Update

Guest doggiehappiness

Guest doggiehappiness

So, I called a behaviorist in the area and I am awaiting a call back. I will try again today to see if I can catch the person in the office.

BUT, today, for the first time in a super long time, Ernie got up and came to the door, got on the elevator, walked outside!!! I was praising and treating, and he hadn't eaten breakfast, so he had good motivation, but he did it! This is the first time we haven't had to pick him up to bring him outside to pee since 7/3!!! I am so happy. And the best part was that Ernie didn't seem afraid to go outside -- he trotted over to his "old" potty spot (pre-fireworks) and even play bowed and jumped around a bit, which he has just started doing again. He did go to weird spots to poop (under low-hanging trees -- I got to get to doggie height to pick up after him) but that is fine with me. He didn't pull me along to come back in, either -- he trotted happily with a loose leash back to the front door.

I am so happy. We'll see what happens for our next walkie...

That's wonderful news - I hope he's put his fears behind him & you can put your money into treats instead of behaviorists! :D

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sounds good. Keep up the praising and treats when outside. That is pretty much what the behaviorist is going to tell you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I understand these triumphs... our Kingsley used to be so scared after storms or fireworks that he would not want to leave the house for a month.. then is decreased to "forcing" him out for a week after the trauma, and now, he goes right out with glee the following morning. (this is over 3 years)... so yeah-yeah for Ernie's bravery! May it continue!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest doggiehappiness

We have been out a few more times, and each time Ernie is getting braver! He even went on a walk and actually left our condo property -- he actually wanted to go for a real walk! Whoo-hoo! I would love to put the $$$ into treats -- a big pile of bully sticks and liver bones is Ernie's dream. Oh, and cheese. Lots and lots of it. Thanks for the support.

routine is key. ours was shy and routine walking helped a lot and treats when something new came along. ours was deathly afraid of schoolbuses and mail trucks. I got the mail guy involved and evertyime he passed us by he gave lexie a treat. she loves the truck now...lol. took about a month doing it almost daily but it does work. just takes time and routine. gl

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I know what you are going through! Garry has been terrified to go outside at night since July 3rd as well. Stupid fireworks.... I am doing the same thing with bringing treats and letting him lead the way (when I can get him out). hopefully time will help