*update!* Getting Scared...

Guest lauri

Dogs who feel nauseous often lick their lips a lot.

Sending good wishes :grouphug

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest lauri

First I have to preface this with the fact that I seriously thought Miles might die. It was a most frightening thing! And hey...I'm living with a ticking time-bomb of stage 4 cancer in my body and haven't been this scared! Our BABIES!!! We want them well!

DAMN!!! Flippin ulcer!

He actually got to see his homeopath vet - an experienced DVM who went on to study homeopathy.

Given the circumstances, his recent tests, and symptoms, she believes it to be an ulcer! This was one of the 'options' when the tests came up inconclusive; that and IBD was the other. Miles responded so well last time to Sufalcrate (ulcer/ibd med), that he's been given that and is already shown improvement.

He's not well, but no more weird breathing, moaning or shivering - which is right! Whoever pointed that out! That was PAIN!

Was a bit dehydrated, so he was given an infusion in his shoulders. He came back out with a puffy lump of fluid!

Mike says, "We came in with a dog and are leaving with a camel!"

Since he was already in a crisis, she prescribed the meds, BUT we are to keep a bottle of 'slippery elm' capsules handy for in the future.

When he's ready for food we're to start with broth to see how he keeps it down then mild foods - pasta, rice, cottage cheese, chicken.

Dr. Bochenski says this is definetly NOT food related, so I need not change from EVO.

Thanks you so much everyone for your thoughts and concern!

We've all learned something here: Slippery Elm! B)

Oh...meant to note that Miles our laid back cool as all hell dog gets upset over weird stuff - like the Greyhound Fest, backyard re-dos and us leaving and Grandma to babysit! These things are all present in these stomach episodes.

Criminy...my dog needs a shrink!

Edited by lauri

Slippery Elm powder is a miracle worker. I've used it myself on my gurgle tum boy with a lot of success. I'm really glad he's on the mend.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest LindsaySF

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis. Is Miles on any NSAID's or other meds that might have irritated his stomach?

Research is out there now that shows a bacterium (Helicobacter pylori) is involved in most ulcers. Did the vet prescribe antibiotics?

Ulcers can be related to stress, maybe that is what caused this flare up? Diet can also play a factor though, so I would be careful about putting him back on the Evo.

Good luck and I hope he continues to improve!

Bless his heart and yours too. I can relate to what you are saying regarding stress factors. Angel LaceyLaine's first pancreatitis attack was the day after a surgery. Second attack...the day after a house full of guests came for a week...3rd attack right after her dental and that started the evening she came home. Each attack she ended in critical care for several days and each attack was more severe. She panted...shook...moaned...and could not keep anything in her tummy....and she was so weak! She would go from acting totally normal to critical within the matter of a couple hours. They would put her on IV's...a lot of meds...strong pain meds and would fast her for several days with her not even being allowed water. In her case...we had to be very vigilant regarding her diet...I am glad that your baby can eat the food that he loves.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest lauri

We're all better this morning. Mike and I slept...I'm sure Miles did too!

Still hasn't eaten but took some broth.

Down and out, but doesn't seem to be in so much pain.

Well get through it!

Acid reducers? What kind? Is that 'Pepcid'?