*update!* Getting Scared...

Guest lauri

Guest lauri

Miles threw up all his dinner...I just found it outside. I had noticed just earlier that he seems a bit uncomfortable, and when he lays down he 's shivering with each inhale...almost like he's cold. He doesn't feel warm. When I asked him if he wanted to go on a walk, he got excited and went willingly. Some watery diarreah on the walk and lots of marking.

He is able to burp and he did fart when he passed the diarreah, so he's able to pass gas. He did though burp up a bit of water - not a lot.

I realise that when these episodes start, he has really nasy smelly gas, and then the throwing up, not eating but seems hungry, losing weight, etc...

It sickens me that we went through all the testing which came up inconclusive, and the issues seems to be worse except that he does not seem to be bleeding from the stomach this time around. I check his gums all the time now!

If a dog has IBD, will they shiver when their tummies are in pain? He's also doing more of his groaning tonight.

Does a truly sick Grey get excited about walks? When he was out there he was acting just fine.

But I AM scared!

Edited by lauri

Guest ChancesMom

I can't really offer any advice and I am sorry you are going through this. I will say that Chance has a lot of tummy issues and has had HGE 2 times. The first time he had it he had to stay at the vet overnight. I only tell you this because I have yet seen him not get excited to go on his walks. Hugs to you and your baby.

My Lexi was truely sick with OS & she always had a tail wagging to greet me & getting ready for walks (which were painful for her) so yes I do think if they are sick their tolerance is way better than any human. I may have missed some previous threads have you tried different foods.

Guest lauri

We haven't slept at all. Miles has done nothing but walk around up and down on his bed and groan and shiver.

He IS NOT well.

He needs to go to the vet in the morning but I'm almost afraid that we'll go through the same thing as in March/April - gazillions of dollars in tests and nothing conclusive!

How does a dog act when nauseous?

When Burp had a lot of gas in his intestines, he was miserable. I did two e vet trips in the middle of the night to find out he was full of gas and crap. However, once I changed food, he did not throw up, but still had gas on occassion. He was scoped and had gastritis and h pylori.

Has he been wormed with panacur (even if there are no worms showing)? I remember one of my vets saying it calms the bowel even if there are not any worms. I know it helped several of mine (we did 5 days).

I'd get him off the EVO asap. Try SD (yes I hate SD) or otc SD or the other good prescription canned I cannot remember for several days and see if he stabilizes. I've had a few I have had to keep on I/D or otc canned SD for a few weeks to get the stomach and bowel under control.

Sending prayers!

What does his blood work look like? Has he had a TBD panel done?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

What Burpdog said.

Has he had an abdominal x-ray? I'd want to do that at this point unless he just had one a week ago.

If he has had metronidazole (flagyl) and that has helped him, I'd leave him on it for 3 weeks minimum and possibly a good deal longer. It's a gut-specific anti-inflammatory/antibiotic. Most dogs tolerate it with no side effects at all.

Food: Either Science Diet I/D canned or homecooked chicken and rice (or partially defatted beef and rice) until he has no vomit and perfect poops for a solid (pun intended) week. All the prescription food makers have an equivalent to the I/D -- I think Purina's is EN? Any of them would do but I would use the canned. If you decide to cook it yourself, add extra water to the rice so it gets very soft. For one cup dry rice, I use @ 2.75 cups water instead of 2; for 2 cups dry rice, @ 5.5 cups water instead of 4; etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lauri

He had bloodwork, x-rays, fecal, urinalysis (done with a catheter), more bloodwork, tick titers, etc. Basiclly the only thing not done was an endoscopy.

This was in March/April.

He was given Sulfacrate for 7 days and was given Hill'sID along with rice and other bland stuff. he did seem to clear up.

This time the whole thing started the same but the end result is different in that we took him in due to very pale gums. Vet could tell by the x-rays that the bleding was form the stomach. No blockage and no perforations.

That's right - an ultrasound was done to check for those.

This time it's been the water poop, throwing up and now this weird shivering and discomfort. He's been groaning all night.

Scary thing is that only his left eye is severly bloodshot. I was thinking a stroke, but he doesn't seem to have any stroke symptoms.

Guest lauri

He fasted for 24 hours and I gave him his dinner last night. chicken and EVO. Probably shouldn't have but he was starving and more than willing to eat. I shouldn't have tested the waters, but he seemed great!

BUT this episode is not like any other. Right now he's laying outside. Mike stayed home as I told him he may need to carry Miles out to the car.

I've been on the net all night on and off and cannot really pinpoint. I did look up Addison's Disease as someone stated.

How does a nauseous dog act?

Also I measured his water starting at about 12:30/1:00 a.m. and he's blown through about 5 cups of water. seems much, bu tmaybe dogs drink a lot when nauseous? He hasn't had the drinking thing EVER before.

Guest greytexplorer

YIKES hugs to all

I would be worried that at this point he is getting dehydrated, with all the intake and blowouts

Does bloodshot eye/s have anything to do with blood pressure?

When are you going to the vet? I think Miles needs to be seen.

I know this sounds dumb, but do you give him anything like Pepcid?

more hugs,

~Pat

Lauri, you might want to join http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/IBDogs/ as these folks are specifically dealing with IBD issues. Sending more prayers for your dear boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'd get another x-ray. March/April was a long time ago.

Big hugs and much luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytloves

IBD can make a fellow feel really, really bad. And when it is a dog, he does not know why he feels so bad and then begins to act funny. He could have vomited really hard and burst a blood vessel in his eye. That's not a big deal, is thats the case.

Hope you find answers at the vet soon.

Lauri, Raisin was drinking HUGE amounts of water last week before I took her to the vet (and after). She was dehydrated badly. He may need to be put on a hydration IV. I'd get him to your vet NOW if you aren't already there. Also, Burpdog's suggestion about the Panacur is a good one. Sometimes certain parasites do not show up on the fecal. It can't really hurt him and it may help. You're describing a lot of what Raisin went through last week (no diahrrea but everything else you've mentioned) and she indeed had hooks. Miles is young and strong though. He will pull through, I am certain. Keep trying to figure this out.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Sending my prayers. Please let us know what the vet says. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am adding you and your pup to my prayer list.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project