The Roads In Kodiak

Trudy

Yes, Jeff sent them

I don't know that the dogs love Kodiak, but Jet likes to run and play on sand - easier to dig and she doesn't get yelled at for it :lol

Bears - I'll be concerned about them if/when we go on trails, but at that beach, they would be camping out in the water having lunch of all the salmon that were coming in and not care about us in the least.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

Beautiful Flowers ( so sweet of Jeff ) Beautiful Pictures ,Beautiful Dogs . My Morty looks just like Jet :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Guest Wpgkeith

Great flowers - love the lily! And the dogs look like they are enjoying Kodiak now that home is soooo much more homier.

K

They sure do look kile they "LOVE" it, Greayt pictures, :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Free samples... no longer free

I've seen larger size sample bags of dog foods - these are usually 1.99

I've seen lots of small bags for samples - free

We've gotten some of these free sample bags of food before.

Here... $2.00 for the little sample bag.

They are supposed to be FREE samples to get new customers to a food. Not a way for the business to make a few dollars.

Just one more reason that I'll likely not be using the "pet store" here.

Interesting! Thanks. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greytexplorer

Trudy----maybe you could go here for your next tour?

IMG_04501.JPG

I know Jeff isn't in the Navy, but they do have this>>>

(sign says "Coast Guard Group"

IMG_04561.JPG

In fact, while we were in the Keys, we saw LOTS of signs indicating the Coast Guard's presence!!! :standard

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest IrskasMom

Who knows where they ( Jeff and Trudy ) will go in two Years . Maybe to Nova Scotia. Hard to say ,where the Coast Gard

wants them to be. I would not get grey Hair over it yet.

Guest luckydog

Would the Coast Guard station you in a non-US country? (I think that's where Nova Scotia is).

Edited by luckydog

The nice thing about coming down to the Key West or Miami Beach Coast Guard stations is the wonderfully delightful weather. Night life is great on the Beach. The Keys are a wonderful place to relax. There's never a dull moment! Its also a chance to view our diversity in not only foreing cultures but in our tricked out cars and pleasure watercraft. The beaches are gorgeous and full of HOT bodies! Who could ask for a better duty station than South Beach or Key West!

Frolicking in the surf

rafters01.jpg

International/American Car and Boat Regatta. Mercury doesn't just make outboards!

mercury.jpg

mercury_coastguard.jpg

Buick's entry in the regatta.

buick.jpg

The clear winner of the regatta The 1951 Chevy Pickup Boat

truck_starboard.jpg

truck_port.jpg

truck_front_closeup.jpg

truck1.jpg

Chevy photos by my friend Greg, sent out over the wire services at the time. Too bad the Coast Guard sank the Chevy pick up. That would have made quite a statement in regards to the durability and versatility of their trucks!

BTW - Key West IS a foreign country.

http://www.conchrepublic.com/

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Such fun pictures! Key West rocks!! Kevin would kill to live in Key West.

Jeff was stationed there, I think for 4 years, and he didn't like it.

We really enjoyed SoBe too. The diversity is just amazing there. We need another weekend trip there. We need to win the lottery. :lol :lol

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

We really enjoyed SoBe too. The diversity is just amazing there. We need another weekend trip there. We need to win the lottery. :lol :lol

True that! Wendy...I think you need to take out a second mortgage to vacation on South Beach. I can buy a weeks worth of groceries (including hound food and treats) for what dinner for two costs. And we wont even discuss parking!

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Yes, Jeff was already stationed in Key West. It's a place to visit, not live

Coast Guard – about 45,000 people

CG stations – >1000 but nailing down a real number has been difficult thus far

Jeff’s position – 55 people/locations

The number of possible locations will drop again when he advances again

There is no point in telling us all the "wonderful" things about other CG stations and suggesting we try to be stationed there next. The vast majority of them, we will not have the option of going to.

We have 2 years here and no real say in where we go next - the needs of the coast guard override the needs of Jeff and his wife.

We will be going to one of 55 locations and not all 55 of those locations will be available during every transfer season. If we are lucky, maybe half of them will be available during the 2010 transfer season. We go where we are told to go.

edit:

more accurately, maybe a 1/3 of the jobs will be open

55 positions, not sure how many locations (for this season, there were 4 or 5 positions in DC and 4 or 5 positions in Alameda, CA) - so easily less than 40 locations, but probably much less than that even

Edited by Trudy

You know, the USCG will place Jeff where THEY need him. J&T have no choice. So lay off the suggestions. If you have never been a part of a military family, you have no idea what it's like.

No, I have never been involved in the military. But Kevin did time in the USAF and I have worked with a ton of former servicemen over the years. One thing I learned from them was that either you did what the military told you to or you got out. And doing what you are told to do means moving every few years and making the best of whatever and wherever you land.

You know, the USCG will place Jeff where THEY need him. J&T have no choice. So lay off the suggestions. If you have never been a part of a military family, you have no idea what it's like.

No, I have never been involved in the military. But Kevin did time in the USAF and I have worked with a ton of former servicemen over the years. One thing I learned from them was that either you did what the military told you to or you got out. And doing what you are told to do means moving every few years and making the best of whatever and wherever you land.

And remembering that you WILL move again, so even if it's a miserable place, you're not there forever. It's a wonderful opportunity for learning to be flexible and adaptable.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

But, in two years, we could have a nice contest to guess where the CG will send J&T next. The prize could be a Kodiak commemorative rock, perhaps, or a batch of Trudy's chocolate chip cookies ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest embarkguru

Trudy, I was thinking of you the other day. I paid off my car a few months ago and now we are stationed in Norfolk. The roads are HORRIBLE! They are making my car rattle....when it wasn't before. I was thinking of buying a beater-mobile and using that for the next THREE years. Maybe you could do the same and only bring out the car for nice occasions. Freaking roads!

I love the Outer Banks. Is there a CG station there?

Oregon Inlet has CG station with boats, not a ship like Jeff is on now. The smaller stations like Ocracoke are nearly empty of Coasties now.

Hey Trudy, what is Jeff's MOS?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytexplorer
I love the Outer Banks. Is there a CG station there?

Oregon Inlet has CG station with boats, not a ship like Jeff is on now. The smaller stations like Ocracoke are nearly empty of Coasties now.

O gosh, that's sad. :( Ocracoke is my fave of the OBX!!!!!

Guest greytexplorer

Jeff and Trudy, I don't think any of us are making suggestions for where your next tour should be. More like wishful thinking.

My dad was in the Navy and worked in corporate America, so I do understand.

The only choice any of us have is to make the BEST of ANY SITUATION. In other words, :lol or :crazy

I choose to :lol and I commend you both for your hardiness, inventiveness and service to our country :standard

God bless you!!!!! :)

hugs,

~Pat