The Roads In Kodiak

Trudy

Guest simile
Oh, have you met anyone from the Unification Church yet?

How would I tell? Is it that obvious?

Honestly, I'm not sure. All I know is that the Unification Church (Rev. Moon) owns one or two of the fish processing plants there in Kodiak and brings in many, many workers. The church, I believe, also owns boats and land. Rev Moon used to come to Kodiak fairly frequently, along with large tour groups of favored church members and donors. Residents were, well, less than thrilled :lol .

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's that red thing in the middle of the picture? Helicopter? I can't tell.

yep - a dolphin (they are cg orange)

Had one flying around the neighborhood quite a bit yesterday (test flights after repair)

Actually, it is a Dauphin (French). It has a distinctive high pitched hum from the tail rotor because it is encased in the tail. A lot of municipalities use them for life-flights and police copters as well.

http://www.eurocopter.com/site/FO/scripts/...&noeu_id=89

so need some dunkin donuts coffee shipped up? what flavor?

None, neither of us drinks coffee, but thanks for the offer :)

I don't drink it either, and only learned how to make it last year. lol.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Actually, it is a Dauphin (French). It has a distinctive high pitched hum from the tail rotor because it is encased in the tail. A lot of municipalities use them for life-flights and police copters as well.

It is a variant of the French-built Dauphin.

The SA 366 G1 Dauphin version was selected by the USCG in the early 1980s as its new short range recovery air-sea rescue helicopter and given the designation HH-65A Dolphin. In order to comply with U.S. regulations, engineering changes were required. So it isn't actually a Dauphin, it really is a Dolphin.

It is a variant of the French-built Dauphin.

The SA 366 G1 Dauphin version was selected by the USCG in the early 1980s as its new short range recovery air-sea rescue helicopter and given the designation HH-65A Dolphin. In order to comply with U.S. regulations, engineering changes were required. So it isn't actually a Dauphin, it really is a Dolphin.

Wow. Everyone calls the one here at the test center a Dauphin and it is painted the same way... maybe it was an early test bed then. Learned something new today :)

Guest Redpack

Pictures are beautiful, but so cold and lonely looking. Have you made any friends there yet? :grouphug ...because I'd need that if I were where you are.

I was wondering if this was something like the Church of Deliverance that BF and I passed in and out of our vacation place in Berkeley Springs, WV. It's hard not to give a chuckle at a church with that name being in WV, but it was the display they had hanging off of trees on the side of the road that was killer. We had meant to take a picture and now I'm really sad that we didn't. But there was one sign with a skeleton painted on it and some phrases about hell if that gives you the gist. I was honestly a little scared.

Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to offend anyone who belongs to such a church and/or lives in WV. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest simile

I was wondering if this was something like the Church of Deliverance that BF and I passed in and out of our vacation place in Berkeley Springs, WV. It's hard not to give a chuckle at a church with that name being in WV, but it was the display they had hanging off of trees on the side of the road that was killer. We had meant to take a picture and now I'm really sad that we didn't. But there was one sign with a skeleton painted on it and some phrases about hell if that gives you the gist. I was honestly a little scared.

Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to offend anyone who belongs to such a church and/or lives in WV. ;)

:lol Too funny. My DH and I were going camping last month, and drove past the Church of Cod. I think it may have been inspired by Ray Troll's art:

fishworshipa.gif

Did the fishes make the trip intact? :goodluck

Thinkin' 'bout you guys from waaaaay over here...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

:lol Trudy I guess it could be worse. I go to the library and just pull random mysteries off the shelf. The one I am reading now is "Moving is Murder" by Sara Rosett...about an Air Force wife that trips across a dead body before she has even unpacked her "Open First" box...
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I miss Home Depot.

It took me TEN minutes to check out with 2 items... a bifold door track and a 8' piece of 1x2.

They couldn't find either item in the computer and it took 10 minutes to get it figured out. Got the 1x2 for 20 cents :lol Not so lucky on the door track.

I'm afraid to go back there to find stuff I need to fix the gate. It is all hiding behind the store, so I can't go out there and play around with it to see what I need - I see that gate taking a few trips...

Did the fishes make the trip intact? :goodluck

Yep, they did - they are now back in their 5 gallon tank (well, the plecos are still sharing the 5 gallon). I put the 65 gallon together on Wednesday, now to start getting that cycled and figure out what goes in it.

Trudy, beautiful pictures, and wow, great job on the door. :)

Jeff, safe voyage. :standard

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Wow, I hope your landlord realizes how lucky he is to have rented to you.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Did the landlords not check out the place after the last renters moved out?!?

I think the landlord is out of state

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Owner is stationed in Ohio so a little hard for him to check on his house.

The pictures of Adak and Mt Shishalden were from Jeff that he took.

But yes, if email is down, then I can have the Red Cross get in touch with the boat for true emergencies.

Guest cendrine
I need a new scrub brush after scrubbing the entry floor :lol

before (left) the dirt was ground into any textured area

after (right) dirt is gone :)

floor.jpg

That brings back an unpleasant memory. At our last house I thought we had a taupe patterned floor. Closer examination showed the floor was deeply textured and needed a good scrubbing. It needed two days of two fisted work but I finally found a BEIGE patterned floor! :lol:lol:lol

Your landlord has no idea what a gem he has in you....