The Roads In Kodiak

Trudy

Jeff is on the Munro. Jeff is way out at Sea.

Somebody on the boarding team took that photo before boarding the fishing vessel.

The press release that goes with the photo:

Aug. 21, 2008

Coast Guardsmen aboard the cutter Munro, homeported in Kodiak, Alaska, conducted the first-ever high seas boarding and inspection of a fishing vessel Tuesday under the authority of the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission. The WCPFC is a regional fisheries management organization whose objective is to ensure, through effective management, the long-term conservation and sustainable use of highly migratory fish stocks in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean. This convention area stretches across the WCPO from the south coast of Australia to the Bering Sea.

Munro's crew boarded the fishing vessel Tokuei Maru 17 out of Yaizu, Japan, and conducted an inspection of the ship, its catch, fishing gear and all relevant documentation to ensure it was operating in compliance with the provisions of the convention and the conservation and management measures adopted by the WCPFC.

Despite this being the first high seas boarding conducted pursuant to specific WCPFC guidelines, the boarding and investigation process went smoothly, without incident and the Coast Guard boarding team did not find any violations.

"We found no violations of WCPFC conservation and management measures, the crew was very friendly and the master very cooperative," said Lt. Ellen Motoi, the weapons division officer aboard the Munro and the boarding officer in charge of the boarding team that conducted the investigation on board the Japanese fishing vessel.

The team's investigative report was sent to the Coast Guard's 17th District headquarters in Juneau, Alaska, where it was reviewed and forwarded to the government of Japan and the convention's commission headquarters in Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia. With the ever increasing demand on the world fisheries stocks, international joint management under the WCPFC holds significant potential for improved oversight of highly migratory fisheries, such as tuna, covered by the WCPFC.

"This is a great step forward, both in terms of international cooperation and effective mission execution for Coast Guard vessels in the operations area," said Munro's Commanding Officer Capt. Craig Lloyd.

The WCPFC convention was adopted Sept. 5, 2000, in Honolulu, and includes more than 30 nations and territories, including the United States and Japan. WCPFC convention area tuna catch for 2006 amounted to 78 percent of the total Pacific Ocean catch and more than 51 percent of the global tuna catch. This catch is worth more than $3 billion annually.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shed looks GREAT! I would have that filled up in no time. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest IrskasMom

Thank you Trudy for explaining that Photo. This are very Interesting Papers and Documentation. :):)

Did you Order that Shed Online and is that click together or how did you do this in shortest time ?

BTW. I am sooooo fascinated with that entire Alaska- Trip , Housing , Land and People ,CG and Cutter Munro so Interesting

and far ooouuut .

Edited by IrskasMom

Cool press release.

Cooler shed. Is that a rubbermaid-type thing?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Shed is from Lifetime - much more sturdy as the trusses are made of steel and there are steel reinforcements added to the roof as well.

The partially reclaimed dining room. Bike can move when Jeff gets home

The tool chest... that's staying inside. I use that a lot and don't want to run outside to the shed to grab something from it all the time.

IMG_4264.jpg

The shed

IMG_4267.jpg

Looks awesome!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I think most of the Japanese vessels are named with a Maru suffix.

Tell me I am not the only trekkie who immediately thought "Kobayashi Maru"

<<The name is Japanese, and loosely translates as the ship named Kobayashi, with Kobayashi (小林) meaning small forest and being a common family name. Maru (丸) is a common suffix for Japanese ship names. from Wikipedia>>

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Which one is Jeff?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

:lol :lol :lol

Here he is:

a0f0fe44.jpg

;)

That was on the Spencer too.

Guest IrskasMom

Now Wendy explain this : " How did you get to this Pic if Jeff ?? " That's all I want to know ? :rofl :rofl :rofl

Edited by IrskasMom

Guns, baby GUNS!! :hehe :hehe

Guns, baby GUNS!! :hehe :hehe

Don't call it a gun, call it a weapon or a rifle. Drill Instructors get VERY upset if you call your weapon a gun, and it leads to lots of jogging around with your rifle held over your head singing a silly phrase about the difference between weapons and guns :lol (sorry- flashbacks to 1979 army basic training - thank goodness I wasn't the one who called my weapon a gun)

Awesome garage/shed Trudy! You do good work!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Good news for Kodiak... someplace to eat!!

Town gains a few new dining options

Restaurant owners find replacement for intended building

Article published on Friday, August 22nd, 2008

By ERIK WANDER

Mirror Writer

Kodiak residents will soon have three more dining options.

In addition to the KFC/Taco Bell, set to open Monday at 10 a.m., Anna Maria Kaloumenou and husband Kostas Macheras will soon open Angelo’s Trattoria at the former Pizza Hut on Mill Bay Road.

“We hope to be ready by the end of September,” Kaloumenou said.

The restaurant will offer mostly Italian cuisine, including pasta dishes and specialty pizzas, and some Greek and American food.

“We might be introducing lunch specials, and they will have a Mediterranean flare,” she said. “It’s a big variety of food actually.”

The couple owned and operated Angelo’s in Dutch Harbor for six years. Kaloumenou said the restaurant was popular with members of the Coast Guard.

“The Coast Guard were great fans of our food,” she said. “Whenever a boat came in, they said, ‘Where’s Angelo’s?’ They kept asking us to come to Kodiak, because Kodiak didn’t have this kind of food.”

When their Dutch Harbor lease ended, Kaloumenou and Macheras began making plans to do just that. The couple made arrangements to buy the former Kodiak Pizza building on Lower Mill Bay Road, but when the building’s landlord decided not to sell, they agreed to lease the building instead.

Macheras, whom Kaloumenou said has owned and operated restaurants in Anchorage and Kenai for nearly 35 years, came to Kodiak in April and started working to transform the takeout-only facility into a full-service restaurant.

Macheras spent the next three and a half months painting, installing plumbing, windows, doors, appliances and bathrooms and building a new dining room.

Kaloumenou joined her husband on June with the couple’s 11-year-old son.

When the couple received the lease papers on July 15, they were surprised to learn that the terms were not what they had initially agreed upon, Kaloumenou said. After negotiating, the couple’s lawyer ultimately advised them not to go forward with the lease.

“We had already spent so much time, so much money and so much work on that building,” Kaloumenou said. “It was a great disappointment.”

That night, the two went to Pizza Hut for a meal and to lament their disappointment over what she described as “a big misunderstanding.”

“Oh my goodness, this place needs a facelift,” she said she told her husband. “It was kind of rundown. If we had it, we’d do this and that.”

The next day, Pizza Hut closed its doors for good. The couple learned about it on a trip to Safeway and saw a renewed opportunity.

“It was a surprise to us. We didn’t know that the Pizza Hut would close,” she said. “We were very lucky. As soon as the Pizza Hut became available, we talked to them and we signed a lease first thing and went ahead with our project there. It was a big coincidence that we went there on the last day.”

Kaloumenou said she is happy with the new location and looks forward to running the business in a place that will offer people “a variety of options.”

“This one is ready to go. It’s a pretty good location,” she said. “It’s visible from everywhere, and there are a lot of homes all around.”

Kaloumenou said the building, which is owned and currently being renovated by Brechan Enterprises, will have its own unique look and will not resemble Pizza Hut in any way.

“It’s not going to look like Pizza Hut,” she said. “We are renovating the inside completely and scrubbing the kitchen, which is needed. They have to take out everything that looks like Pizza Hut.”

Kaloumenou said Angelo’s will accommodate about 150 people, and she hopes to make it available for birthday parties.

“I always dreamt of having a big seating area, and here I am. We got it,” she said.

The restaurant also will offer delivery service, which Kaloumenou said accounted for 50 percent of their business in Dutch Harbor.

She said she eagerly anticipates opening day.

“I’m looking forward to it as much as the residents,” she said. “One thing didn’t work for us, and hopefully this will.”

KFC/Taco Bell owner Dan Rohrer said the new franchise on Mill Bay Road will be open 10 a.m. to midnight and will offer customers a full menu at all times.

“They can order anything they want off the menu at any time,” Rohrer said, adding, “People have wanted Taco Bell in Kodiak since I was a little kid, and it’s fun to be able to bring it to town. We’re excited to be able to provide two new options in town under one roof. It’s been a long time in the making.”

Holy cow. They moved from Dutch to the booming metropolis of Kodiak. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Maybe a job potential there Trudy. I bet you are a better chef. ;)

Guest IrskasMom

How is Trudy doing today ? Are you resting up from your work you did with that Shed ????

I have NO clue what made me say Judy . Forgive me !

Edited by IrskasMom

Your shed looks awesome! I really like the metal trusses and have never seen any like those here.

Edited to add: Thank you for posting about your shed. I have got to show this to Dwayne. The expansion option is reeeeeally cool. Maybe we can finally get rid of our ugly 8x8 shed.

Edited by Ozziemydoggy

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.