Chemo Drugs

what and how many treatments did your grey get?

I read that Winslow did not do well with the carboplatin.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Darcy had (in this order) Carboplatin, Doxorubacin, Carboplatin, Doxorubacin.

Each drug was given three weeks apart.

Darcy had no side effects at all from the first three treatments but had a bad side effect right after the end of her final treatment.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

From Glynis :)

Winslow never had carboplatin. He was supposed to have 3 DOXORUBICIN and 3 CISPLATIN. He didn't do well with the cisplatin, so he had 3 doxorubicin 1 cisplatin, and 2 doxorubicin.

In that order.

thanks Diane! May I ask is that what was sent from OSU?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I had 2 go through chemo. for osteo. I didn't know about the OSU program so we paid for it all. Morgan had 4 rounds of carboplatin, 3 weeks apart. Alex's protocol was alternating Adriamycin and Carboplatin. We found lung mets after Alex's 3rd chemo so it was discontinued.

As far as side effects, Morgan was always a difficult eater. For a few days after each chemo, his appetite was decreased and he was lethargic.

Alex, was always a good eater. He had no noticable side effects after Carboplatin. After Adriamycin, his appetite was decreased and he as lethargic.

I had Adriamycin as part of my chemo protocol for breast cancer. It definitely made me sick. Human doses are higher than canine doses though. You should be aware that Adriamycin comes with a small chance of cardiac damage. Each dose increases the risk. For humans they do a cardiac ultrasound before they prescribe Adriamycin to rule out an pre-existing heart issues. They don't seem to do that for dogs.