I Can't Get His Paw To Heal

About three weeks ago I posted about Rusty's paw, he had five stitches put in between his two toes on his back paw. Well, anyway, I have had the hardest time with this. No matter how much a I bandage and cover with platistic wrap (to keep the bandage dry when he goes out in the wet grass) and socks, he manages to chew through everything. Even eating some of the bandages. Tomorrow will be the third time I am taking him in to have his foot looked at. Last week the vet took out three of the stitches and said it needed to be kept dry and bandaged. He was very good about it all weekend while I was home. Yesterday, I go back to work and when I came home at lunch to check on him, he had chewed through the sock, the plastic, and the bandage. I did the process all over again and he was actually a good boy by the time I got home. So I thought I would let it air out for the evening since I was home and could watch him closely for licking. After about a half hour, he was bleeding all over again. I wrap it up again and out came the lamp shade collar which happens to be a little too big for his skinny head.

I just don't know what I can do to help it start healing. I'm running out of patience and money.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Yup, a muzzle, even tape up the inside and outside to help further. Keep his muzzle on except to eat and for walks or potties.

Wearing a baby sock in the house and waterproof for outside is the best idea. Though I'd even fore go the baby sock if he's not able to reach it with the muzzle on. The more air that gets to it, the sooner it will heal.

Daily washes in a lukewarm epsom salt bath will keep infection at bay. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I agree with the epsom salt soaks and keeping it open, it really will heal faster if air can get to it. I'd keep it wrapped for outside only, to keep it clean/dry. I have used the dreaded lampshade collar and it did work well. My mistake was taking it off too soon, and then Mayhem would lick his wound and we'd have to start all over again!

Thanks, I was wondering about epsom salt. But how do I keep it from bleeding?

Thanks, I was wondering about epsom salt. But how do I keep it from bleeding?

Once the air gets to it, it will dry up and won't bleed anymore.

Wearing a light sock on it for the time being should prevent blood from getting on to the floors.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

How much Epsom salt do I use, how often do I soak and for how long? I feel bad for the poor old guy, I want his owie to heal.

Epsom salt is a great healer. If he lets you, soak it for 15 min 2 or 3 times a day.When I've done it, I've used 2 table spoons of salt and just be sure the water isin't hot. I swear the feet are he worst. Good luck healing your boy. And if by chance he won't stand long enough for you, roll up some cotton gauze and soak the gauze and place it on the area as much as he'll let you

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have never used Epsom salt before. Will it burn?

No, it won't burn, just make sure it's well diluted. The only thing that will burn is if the water is too hot. Let us know how you make out.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

No, it won't burn, just make sure it's well diluted. The only thing that will burn is if the water is too hot. Let us know how you make out.

I will, I'm going to Walgreens right after work to get some.

I will, I'm going to Walgreens right after work to get some.

Keep it around because it's also great for swelling...bites...it's a great healer

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I use lukewarm water, I forget how much salt, maybe a couple of tablespoons? I use those "family size" yogurt tubs (washed out, of course), they're a good size for feet soaking. If he keeps pulling it out you can pick up the other foot (the one not being soaked) cause he won't lift both back feet.

If there's still blood, the "bloodstopper" spray from 3M (Nexcare "No Sting" Liquid Bandage) may help. However, if they stop working at it (muzzle with poop cup or tape, etc.), it should resolve on its own.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I did three treatments of Epsom salt since last night after work. I think it stings a little, he kept pulling his foot away. He had his muzzle on all night last night and boy did I get the Stink Eye. He had an appointment with the vet this morning and he said it is starting to get a little better, but he needs to wear a lamp shade collar. The vet said it had a slight odor and so he cleaned it out again with some kind of medicated solution, which he sent me home with some. I need to do that at least once a day. We go back in again on Monday for another look. I hope this is the last one.

Guest goofydog

When Get Em had his toe amp I used the epsom salts/warm water and it healed very quickly. I just used a tube sock soaked in the epsom salt mix. Each evening while he was lying down I wrapped the sock all around the foot then wrapped that in a towel then curled up next to him for a 15 cuddle session. Worked wonders.

I know neither of my two are particularly fond of having their foot stuck into water, so it could be just that rather than stinging. I've put their feet into plain water just to wash them sometimes and got the same reaction. Hard to say for sure, since they can't tell us (I sure wish they could sometimes!).

Edited by Ola