2 Dogs: 2 Uti

I am worried about two of my dogs...Flex my Ig, has lupus. he had been licking his penis to the point of making it bleed. urine (via catheter) showed infection. vet said most likely no stones in urethra since catheter went in easy. she put him on baytril for 10 days. He appeared to be doing better, then starting licking himself again yesterday. ( I saw him a couple times) Only when he is alone, though. He is a very attached to his people. This morning he was licking when I returned with the other two from their walk. the fur on the back of back (near the bottom) was raised a bit and he appeared to be walking a bit hunched over.....Vet said might need x-ray. I also caught him scooting on my bed (UGGG) this morning. He is fine now.

In the meantime, Missy my 9 year old grey has been on Amox. since the 14th. for uti. She is still straining to pee more after her initial 2 pees. On her walk this morning I saw blood (there was blood in both of their urine tests). Called vet back..and went in to pick up baytril for her. she is being seen by a different vet in same practice. also might need x-ray.

I am waiting for a call back from Flex's vet regarding him...and I am going out of town this afternoon overnite...will have company tomorrow until afternoon.

Does it sound like Flex needs to get right in. or would Tuesday evening be ok? He is eating and drinking fine, no vomit.

I am trying to get these dogs healthy before I go in for surgery on the 31st. I won't be driving for a while....

Advice please

Also..would it be considered rude if I stuck with one vet for both dogs?

Edited by dbullwinkel

Guest ProudGreyMom

I woul at least call the vet's office and tell them what's going on. They can advise you best on what might be an urgent situation.

Hope both your sweeties feel better soon!

Guest Winterwish

I hope Flex and Missy will get well from the UTI's and there's no further complications. Only way to know for sure about Flex and his hunched kind of posture is a vet visit tho'.

It's good to push their water intake if you can. Adding a little milk to their water could help them drink more if they aren't big water drinkers.

I don't think it's rude in any way to pick one vet for both Flex and Missy. I'd say go right ahead and feel free to do that.

:getwell:dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Winterwish

Also I'm forgetting about tea,it can be another way to get fluids in if they resist drinking water. Tea has a diuretic property,true,but you wouldn't be giving tremendous amounts of tea really. Just want to mention it tho' as something to increase drinking, helping flush out their system.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest charmsmom

Chicken broth can also help with not drinking as well as balancing out the pH a little. Just make sure it's low-sodium.