Glucosamine Not Working...

Guest Chaser

Guest LindsaySF
What twigs me is the appetite...I personally would be taking mine in if she wouldnt eat. Unless yours has periods where she has done that before and you KNOW its normal, but it really sounds like its not normal.

That concerns me too, and would prompt me to visit the vet again.

FRESH FACTORS!!! may be your miracle. If they don't work- but I think they will- I believe Lubrisyn is pretty good- have to get that from vet. I give my greyt 10cc/day. www.springtimeinc.com is the addy for the Fresh Factors. They have really been wonderful the years and hounds I have used them on. I don't like the chemical drugs like Rimadyl (even though I am a chemist) unless it is an absolute last resort as I am concerned about them affecting their kidneys etc. Good Luck. :)

Guest longdogs

Some posters are assuming your particular brand of glucosamine is the problem and a change to a better brand will give results. While it is absolutely true that some brands do have much more usable glucosamine than others, it still might not help you. If you are using a brand recommended by your vet, it is probably OK.

Research on glucosamine has very mixed results. Some trials, mostly small scale, have shown measurable benefits for some (human) recipients but not for others. There is no good explanation for this. Other trials have been less positive. A recent meta-study of all published trials suggests that taking glucosamine is of marginal or no benefit, even though glucosamine works just as it says on the box. The probable reason for this is that glucosamine is not a limiting factor in the body. If there is already plenty of glucosamine available it makes no difference if you add more. At least it is safe in any dosage you are ever likely to use.