Glucosamine Not Working...

Guest Chaser

Guest Chaser

Earlier this year my 8 yr old, Rosie, began favoring one of her front legs. She had previously dislocated a toe on this same leg so I thought that maybe it hadn't healed right and was bothering her. I took her to the vet to have it checked out and had x-rays taken of the entire leg just to be safe. The x-rays came out completely normal, but Rosie yelped when the vet manipulated her shoulder. We were about to go on vacation at the time (Rosie came with us) so the vet gave her a 2 week supply of pain meds and suggested we start her on glucosamine. The pain meds worked great and we minimized her walks so she could heal and started her on the glucosamine. She has been taking the glucosamine since April, but it just doesn't seem to be working any more. Lately, she has been stiff even in the afternoon, when previously she was only stiff when she first woke up in the morning. These past few days she hasn't even wanted to eat. In the morning she will just sit in front of her bowl until she decides to go back to bed. Hand feeding is not working, and I have to be pretty creative to find ways to get her to take the glucosamine (hiding it in PB and other yummies).

I have no problem taking her to the vet (I swear we have frequent flyer miles there) but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what else to look for? Should we have x-rays done again already? Does it sound like arthritis, osteo, muscles? Should I try other supplements first? I could use any suggestions or similar stories you have!

Guest longdogs

I didn't have any luck with glucosamine either. Only drugs made a real difference to William's arthritis. We started by using Rimadyl which did a very good job but was sort of stop-start because we'd discontinue the treatment after he'd recovered, then a few weeks later we would have to restart, at least during the winter. We eventually had him on a continuous low dose of Metacam instead, which seemed to suit him.

You can try change brands of glucosamine.

You can also try using Fresh Factors from Springtime Inc. I have had great success with products from Springtime. I currently use both Fresh Factors and Joint Health for my older guy.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My one girl has arthritis in her right ankle, glucosamine didn't help her so I put her on Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtimeinc. and she hasn't had any problems. She is 9 1/2 yrs old. She has been on them for a few years. I adopted my other girl last year at the age of 7 and I started her on them.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

I didn't have any luck with glucosamine either. Only drugs made a real difference to William's arthritis. We started by using Rimadyl which did a very good job but was sort of stop-start because we'd discontinue the treatment after he'd recovered, then a few weeks later we would have to restart, at least during the winter. We eventually had him on a continuous low dose of Metacam instead, which seemed to suit him.

Same here. I think Glucosamine and the others do their job, but I also believe there comes a time when you need an anti-inflammatory

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My three (ages 10, 10, & almost 9) are also on Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest KennelMom

As other have mentioned, it could be the glucosamine you are using. We went through several before we found one that made a notable difference in our seniors. We've had several seniors that needed maintenance doses of anti-inflammatories (rimadyl) for their arthritis...but that wasn't until they were 13+ years old.

You may also want a second xray just to be safe. At least a follow up visit. 8 is very young to be having such severe arthritis. Oh...have you checked her pads for corns? That could certainly cause limping.

If she's having pain/stiffness and not wanting to eat, I'd get her to the vet for a thorough check and x-rays.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Three vet visits, 2 sets of clean x-rays, supplements, weeks of rimadyl, vet suggestion we try exploratory arthoscopic on leg (knee) joint~~~diagnosis of corns by owner, with huge help from walking group leader, and input from greytalk. Sam had gotten very down, depressed, staying in bedroom a lot, etc. Now we have our old Sam back with the help of thera-paw boot and corn treatment. Go with your gut feeling, get lots and lots of input and god bless the internet!!

BTW when Softee's back end went out we had x-rays, etc done and they discovered arthrititis and old age and we increased her Glycoflex III to 1 tab instead of 1/2 tab day. There are days that I look at her and think today is the day and then whe will go out in the yard and act like a puppy

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest mountain4greys

My vet told me a long time ago that either the glucosomine will work or it won't. And if it doesn't, then change brands until you find one that works. We get ours from greyhound gang, and it has worked great on 3 of ours.

Our 9 year old was very stiff, and would limp if she got bumped by another grey. She hasn't been stiff and hasn't limped in the year that we've had her.

When Glucosamine stopped working, our vet felt that it was still worth using, just that it was time to add pain medication on top of it. If you just did X-rays and they were clean, it sounds like arthritis. What pain medication did you use, and at what dose? It may be that just wasn't the right med. for her, or the right dose--sorting these things out takes time.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Are you also giving chondroitin along with the glucosamine? The two work together for the best effect. Glucosamine provides the building block to synthesize new cartilage, while Chondroitin works to block the destructive enzymes that break down cartilage in the joint.

Some other things you might want to investigate are Hyaluronic acid, which works with glucosamine in the building of cartilage and you might also want to check into Cetyl Myristoleate. Here are a couple of links concerning Cetyl Myristoleate that you might find interesting.

Cetyl Myristoleate in the Treatment of Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis

Cetyl Myristoleate for Arthrtis: Science or Speculation

Judy,

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

My vet said she ONLY recommends Cosequin for greyhounds. I just can't afford it! :(

I do think Cosequine's great and I've used it for years, but if you can't afford it you can't afford it. I've had to ask before if there are less expensive medication options available. Imo, a vet should provide alternatives whenever possible.

Lots of people here use Greyhound Gangs glucosamine and seem really pleased with it--perhaps that's an option.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest charmsmom

I'll have to check into that. With two seniors, one with early signs of arthritis, I should get them on something!

Thanks!

Guest Chaser

Thanks for all the great replies!

To answer a few questions posted:

Right now she is only on the glucosamine (from Greyhound Gang). --Thank you for the links to those other drugs! Most of them I had never heard of before!

I honestly don't remember the name of the pain meds (or dose) she was on before. They worked fabulously when we gave them to her for 2 weeks in March and she didn't start having problems again until just recently.

I'm almost positive it's not corns, my other grey gets corns so I know what they look like and am constantly checking her for them as well, but she has beautiful toes!

So a few more questions:

For those of you with arthritic dogs, do you continually keep them on pain killers, or do you constantly give anti-inflamatories or should supplements do the trick?

How long would it take for something like arthritis or cancer to show up on an x-ray? If they were clean in March would something show up if we took x-rays again already?

Thanks so much for your help!

I only have one boy now with arthritis.He's on an anti-inflammatory twice a day and will stay on it. His arthritis never did show on an xray but it doesn't always show. I know nothing about cancer. It's not my preference to keep him on the drug but it's needed for him to be comfortable, and that's what counts for me

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ChasesMum

We have Chase on SynoviG3 - I have a thread in food and dietary on it, it has MSM in it and so far so good!

Our other grey that we lost to Osteo had his xrays cleared twice by our vet - initially we tried meds, and chiropractic, etc but the second time the oncologist saw what he thought was cancer on the films. So yes, if it was cancer it certainly could show between March and now. I don't want to scare you, but we lost him just over 4 months later so it hits kinda close to home hearing stories with limping dogs.

What twigs me is the appetite...I personally would be taking mine in if she wouldnt eat. Unless yours has periods where she has done that before and you KNOW its normal, but it really sounds like its not normal.

Edited by ChasesMum

My vet said she ONLY recommends Cosequin for greyhounds. I just can't afford it! :(

There are other options. My holistic Vet loves that I use Fresh Factors for my oldsters.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****