Hershey Bar

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

Hershey passed away at his home surrounded by friends, family, and love.

We wanted to get a companion dog for our first grey Starlight, so on October 31, 1999 we were introduced to a very handsome boy named Pa’s Hank. We were "just thinking" of adopting, but didn't think we could find a dog Star would get along with as she was a very alpha dog that didn't always play nicely with others. Of the thirty dogs in the kennel, Louise, the Director of Greyhound Friends MA, brought Hershey out to us and said he was the only dog there she felt would "put up" with Starlight's attitude. We will always be grateful to Louise for choosing him for us. After an initial snap or two from Star, the two got along well, but we knew the name didn’t suit him. Since it was Halloween and because of his color we named him Hershey Bar! The name was perfect since he was so sweet. Since we were "just looking" and hadn't intended to bring a dog home that day, we brought our smallest car. But, we just had to take him. So we stuffed the two into the backseat of the car with muzzles on and made the the hour ride home. In addition, we had not intended to bring a new dog home on Halloween night, but Hershey did remarkably well with the doorbell ringing all night!

He was a very happy dog. His favorite thing of all to do was go on walks with his friends of the Greyhound Adventures group. On the walks, he reveled at the opportunity to wade in the water and socialize. He also enjoyed meeting people, and would never pass up a chance to come up to someone new and position himself ever so subtly where they could pat him and fall in love with his docile personality. He loved to ride in the car and this past June we took him to enjoy a family vacation in the White Mountains. He's also vacationed in The Berkshires.

Hershey was an ambassador for greyhound adoption, participating in meet-and-greets for Greyhound Friends for the past several years. He was also featured in The Boston Globe in 2002 in an article discussing greyhound adoption.

After his passing, his mom and dad lovingly took him to wonderful place in Rhode Island called Final Gift. There he was placed in a viewing room and we said goodbye one final time. He was covered in a royal purple satin blanket with gold trim and looked like a little prince. Then we waited for him and took his ashes back home. A brass imprint of his paw was also made.

Rest in Peace, Hershey, our handsome boy - you were loved by so many and always will be.

We invite you to remember him with us by viewing his photos and videos in our media gallery online at: http://gallery.zuena.net

web.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sweet tribute. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What a beautiful tribute. He sounds like he was a wonderful friend and a gentle and loving soul.

I'm so sorry. Godspeed Hershey.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Run fast and forever free at the Bridge Sweetheart. There is no more sickness...no more medicine at the Bridge. I know that Angel LaceyLaine was waiting to welcome you and show you around...she told me so. :grouphug My deepest sympathy. :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Hershey Bar. Run free at the Bridge, sweet boy.

:f_red:gh_run

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest ss556

Carolyn, what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful grey. You, John & Sonie were lucky to have him as he was very lucky to have you, especially the past few months with his illness. My heart aches for you and the tears haven't stopped since I read your email. May you find comfort and peace knowing how wonderful you were to Hershey. Run free Sweet Hershey and look after your family. I'm glad the blanket I sent was with him at his passing. It meant a lot to me. God bless.

:grouphug:f_redf_yellow:gh_run

Edited by ss556

What a joyful life Hershey had with you. I am so sorry for your loss. :candle:grouphug

Godspeed Hershey :gh_run Run with all the angels.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Such a lovely tribute for your magnificent boy. :cry1 My deepest condolences to you for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed, sweet Hershey... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I love the way He came to get the name Hershey Bar and on Halloween. What a memory. May you have peace and comfort in the days ahead.

Thank you for sharing all the pics of Hershey with us. What a beautiful soul.

Soar High Hershey!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm so very sorry, Carolyn and John. We were all so lucky to have known gentle Hershey and he was the luckiest boy in the world to have found you. He was truly a sweetie so "Hershey Bar" is so fitting. :wub: We'll all miss him. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.