Valley Fever Medication

Whew... those are MUCH more reasonable prices. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Believe me, here in VF country we don't know what we would do without the compounding pharmacies.

And Arizona is WAY cheaper than CA in the medications! By several hundred dollars. :eek

Speakin' of which...

Is there any reason your doc is heart-set on Sporanox? From Dr. Stack herself, at:

http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/heal...lley_fever.html

"Fluconazole (Diflucan), which has also now gone generic and is available at compounding pharmacies, and itraconazole (Sporonox) can also be used but are more expensive. With many greyhounds, the appetite is better on fluconazole. Itraconazole is usually a similar situation to ketoconazole, but sometimes it’s worth playing around with meds if your greyhound has problems with one or the other. The best deals on fluconazole and itraconazole are with the compounding pharmacies in town, such as Pet Health Pharmacy. Most dogs will improve on antifungal drugs if they are not too far gone and are not allowed to continue to lose weight, but may relapse when the drug is withdrawn as pill drug action is fungiSTATIC. This means the drug does not kill the fungus, but merely keeps it from reproducing, leaving it up to the body’s immune system to get rid of the fungus. Some dogs take antifungal meds on and off for the rest of their lives as relapses occur, or more prudently, in my opinion, are maintained at a low dose once apparently “cured” to prevent relapses. Until a few years have gone by without a relapse, many veterinarians consider Valley Fever not to be cured, but only in remission."

I had to get fluconazole for Coco's tongue... thing... that grew a few months back, and the vet's office actually told me to get it at Fry's because they couldn't beat their price. I went to Costco first, and they wanted $20-some, while Fry's wanted $10 (!), or about 1/3 what the vet's office said they could do.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Let me say this.... :bow I am so thankful for Hemopet!!! :bow2 They are so nice, extremely helpful and explained a lot of it to me. I guess VF is good at hiding in test results. Not uncommon to have it and test negative. VF is also the number one cause of lameness. I did not know that.

We just got back and I gave Shanti her first dose. They gave her Fluconazole instead of the Itraconazole. Dr. Dodds said it is what they use on all their dogs and is great. They gave it to me for less than their cost! If it works, I am good. And I really trust them....they know greys probably better than most. ;) We do 90 days and off for 3 weeks and rerun the titer. They said they would run that for me. If it goes down, we drop to one pill a day for a bit.

They too believe this will make a world of difference in my baby. I am so thrilled!!!

The Girls

:confetti:confetti GREAT NEWS....And you didn't even come home with another dog :lol And you are so right, Jean Dodds and her crew really know their stuff. And they deal with VF a lot. I am so thrilled for you and Shanti and look forward to hearing how great she's doing. Hemopet does quite a bit for several posters here on GT Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Let me say this.... :bow I am so thankful for Hemopet!!! :bow2 They are so nice, extremely helpful and explained a lot of it to me. I guess VF is good at hiding in test results. Not uncommon to have it and test negative. VF is also the number one cause of lameness. I did not know that.

We just got back and I gave Shanti her first dose. They gave her Fluconazole instead of the Itraconazole. Dr. Dodds said it is what they use on all their dogs and is great. They gave it to me for less than their cost! If it works, I am good. And I really trust them....they know greys probably better than most. ;) We do 90 days and off for 3 weeks and rerun the titer. They said they would run that for me. If it goes down, we drop to one pill a day for a bit.

They too believe this will make a world of difference in my baby. I am so thrilled!!!

Yes, sometimes it takes multiple samples to detect VF. I had VF myself-the first test was negative and the second done 2 weeks later was finally positive. Although my chest xray looked nasty the whole time.

I live only a few miles away from Pet Health Pharmacy if you ever need anyone to physically go there. :colgate

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Yes, sometimes it takes multiple samples to detect VF. I had VF myself-the first test was negative and the second done 2 weeks later was finally positive. Although my chest xray looked nasty the whole time.

I live only a few miles away from Pet Health Pharmacy if you ever need anyone to physically go there. :colgate

I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

The Girls

Guest ArtysPeople

This thread is so interesting. I had no idea that pets could get Valley Fever. I had it myself as a child growing up in Phoenix (and playing in the dirt), but I had no idea it struck pets as well! Is there a vaccine yet, because if I had a digger dog in that region, I would sure want one! I hope everyones' greys who have it get better soon.

Here is the kicker...pets can relapse over and over where humans tend not to. No vaccine that I am aware of and I am reading all I can. What I was told today is that if you dog came from a VF area and anything is strange run that test. If it is negative and you still have problems run again a couple months later.

The Girls

Guest ArtysPeople
Here is the kicker...pets can relapse over and over where humans tend not to. No vaccine that I am aware of and I am reading all I can. What I was told today is that if you dog came from a VF area and anything is strange run that test. If it is negative and you still have problems run again a couple months later.

Wow. Sorry you had to learn all this the hard way, but thank you for sharing. :grouphug

Guest luvRgreys

So glad that Hemopet could help you so much!!! Dr. Dodds is great, when I first got my greys my vet wasn't up to speed on the thyroid issue and he consulted with Dr. Dodds, she was very gracious to him!! So helpful. Isn't it nice to hav nice people to help each other ? :colgate:colgate

I get Cosmo's Valley Fever meds at Roadrunner pharmacy out of Phoenix I think. Tho, he is not on the same as you have been RX'd. They are fast and friendly and he gets a new FREE toy :lol every time I get his filled.

Roadrunner Pharmacy is another good source. My friends pup has VF and uses this pharmacy-great customer service. They deliver the meds directly to her home via courier.

Edited by NevadasMom

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Actually, the University of AZ-Valley Fever Center for Excellence is/was working on a canine vaccine. I think I remember that they were close to or did have one already. Hopefully that will be a link to soon getting a human version of the vaccine. If you've ever been sick with VF you will understand.......the treatment is horrible. Not something I'd like to go thru again. I was very lucky! :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ