Bleeding Gums

Guest ArgusRun

Guest ArgusRun

I've had Robbie a little over two weeks now. He had two potentially problematic teeth, but the vet did a thorough cleaning and now they're fine.

One mouth problem though. He loves his rawhide and some beef tendon chews but his gums bleed when he ganws on them. Should I stop giving him the chewies or assume that they'll toughen up and keep giving him the rawhide?

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'd brush his teeth regularly and I also wouldn't give rawhides.

We prefer bully sticks in our house, or even some of the veggie chews that are out there. You can get those from http://www.adogsdreamtreats.com and http://www.crazyforcollars.com

You want to make sure that any chew you give your dog is not chemically treated and is manufactured in the United States.

Guest spider9174

for a grey off the track, giving them a rawhide for the first time is like flossing your gums for the first time in a year. they bleed. i believe that their gums need to be stimulated to strengthen. you can give him a 6 inch raw marrow bone. it will do the same thing and is better for his teeth.

Guest paulamariez

My vet gave Bueller medicated rawhides to chew on for his bad teeth and gums. We've given our hounds rawhides for many years with the blessings of both our old and new vets. The only problem we've ever had was to watch certain greyhounds (Tiger) because they try and swallow too big of pieces. When they get to that smaller size, we just take it away. They only have the rawhides when we're keeping an eye on them. Like spider9174 said, the gums will bleed at first, until they toughen up. And if Robbie just had a dental recently, his teeth and gums should be in greyt shape! Robbie is really a cutie pie too! Love his silly picture in your signature!!

Guest argolola

We don't give rawhides at all anymore after Lola had to go to the vet. In fact, Lola eats a Jumbone every day (or something similar) and at age 9 1/2 her teeth are so good, she has never needed a dental.

Welcome to Greytalk and congratulations on your new pup. He sure is adorable!