Ernie Is Going To A Behavior Person For A Consult.

Guest doggiehappiness

Guest doggiehappiness

The fireworks seem to be over, but Ernie does not seem convinced. Every day has turned into a struggle when Ernie needs to go outside. He is terrified of the idea of going out. Shaking and panting. It's horrible to watch. I have tried everything that I can think of to encourage him to come outside, but nothing seems to be working. High value treats - he ignores them. I feel like I've just made Ernie's life miserable and I feel horrible about this. This is a dog that would have been happy to live outside before fireworks. Also, other noises seem to be affecting him, like children playing, trucks going over bumps, etc. He wasn't a spook before this, either.

We called the vet and the suggestion is that Ernie see a behavior person to see what we can do. I just want my dog to be happy.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to try anything. Thanks!

Guest SoulsMom

This is probably not an option for you . . . .but with Soul if something made him nervous during his first few months in my home he would always look to Archie to see if he should be alarmed (Archie is my 12yr old whippet mix). If Archie was acting cool about everything, Soul would relax.

Any chance of have a confident hound come over to hang out and show him the world is nothing to be afraid of?

Edited to add: Do you have harness for him?

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest doggiehappiness
This is probably not an option for you . . . .but with Soul if something made him nervous during his first few months in my home he would always look to Archie to see if he should be alarmed (Archie is my 12yr old whippet mix). If Archie was acting cool about everything, Soul would relax.

Any chance of have a confident hound come over to hang out and show him the world is nothing to be afraid of?

Yes, I have a harness, and it has been helpful. Want to come over sometime with the houndies? I live in Worcester, too. Seriously, if you are able, I'd love to have Ernie around other hounds, especially since this is one thing we have noticed -- if other dogs aren't afraid, Ernie does seem to be calmer. PM me if you'd be interested in meeting, either at a park or wherever.

Guest houndlover

Have you thought of trying a natural calming medication like rescue remedy? Sometimes that can help to get the dog back into the swing of things. I know where you are coming from though and it is horrible to watch your dog be like that, especially when that isn't their normal personality.

Guest doggiehappiness

We originally asked our vet about melatonin, but the office suggested that we see a behaviorist, and take it from there.

Guest ChasesMum

I am coming into this after the fact, but poor guy!

Can you go hang out on the deck and read a book and have a bed and a plate of treats sitting out there for him, leave the door open, and see if his curiosity gets the better of him?

If he is scared of the back door, can you take him out the front door (or out the garage etc)? does that make any difference?

Hopefully he can have a confident friend over for a playdate!

Rescue Remedy, DAP diffuser, etc... I think a behaviorist certainly is a valid option too if its really out of hand.

Guest doggiehappiness

No door makes a difference, but we live on the third floor and really can only go out one way because of the other ways needing to use stairs (we have an elevator.) Even at work, using different doors doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

No door makes a difference, but we live on the third floor and really can only go out one way because of the other ways needing to use stairs (we have an elevator.) Even at work, using different doors doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Guest houndlover

Are you opposed to seeing a behaviorist? I certainly don't think that it is a bad idea. Did the vet think that using something like rescue remedy would only solve the problem short term and that is why they suggested a behaviorist?

Where do you live?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest doggiehappiness

I am not at all opposed to seeing a behaviorist. Anything that could help is great to try. I was posting to see if anyone had any other ideas/similar situations. I live in Worcester, MA.

Guest DebSzal

I had the same problem with Gracie but not to the full extent. She would tremble and refuse to go outside when it became dark (after the July 4th fireworks). She was fine during the day. She did not seem to get the hint from our other dog, who would gleefully trot outside to do her business anytime. I tried to act like it was business as usual (so to speak), but she was not convinced. I was told not to encourage or acknowledge her irrational fear. But that was very hard to do. Ultimately, some hand-made turkey and chicken liver treats somewhat convinced her to go. She needs to be leashed and sometimes a gentle push by DH gets her out the door. Once she is outside, I stay with her and let her choose which way to go on our walk.

I think a behaviorist would be able to look at the situation objectively and develop a plan to alleviate the anxiety. I'm sure as irrational as the fear seems to us, it is very real to our dogs. Keep us posted.

Is he hypothyroid?

Our Rita is a very nervous dog and hates to go out when it's noisy like that. We put her on a very low dose of Soloxine and a daily dose of fluoxetine (Prozac). She is still not thrilled about the noise but her nervousness is so much lessened. Additionally, she's actually become sociable, especially in the house when we have visitors.

A behaviorist will probably help you in this regard, but our regular vet prescribed it after I asked for it. I'm glad he lets me make suggestions. :)

Marcia in SC

Guest SoulsMom

Yes, I have a harness, and it has been helpful. Want to come over sometime with the houndies? I live in Worcester, too. Seriously, if you are able, I'd love to have Ernie around other hounds, especially since this is one thing we have noticed -- if other dogs aren't afraid, Ernie does seem to be calmer. PM me if you'd be interested in meeting, either at a park or wherever.

I'd love to! Soul is pretty easy going about everything, we should try to get them together soon. . . .