Beagle With Skin Issues

Guest AnnieJ

Guest AnnieJ

Hello - one of my dogs is an older beagle I inherited when an elderly relative passed. He is overweight, so the vet put him on Purina Fit and Trim (which is helping) and we walk a couple times a day.

He has apparently ALWAYS had skin problems and will rub up against the metal fencing until he makes the spot bleed.

I have been giving him 4 Benedryl a day (per the vet) and washing him in Sensodyne shampoo and using their liquid on hot spots. Would appreciate any other advice to help him get some relief. Thanks!!

First, I would want to know if the vet checked his thyroid level????? If he has open angry rashes he might benefit from a course of antibiotics also, I always found that benadryl doesn't work as well for skin itchies as Clortrimaton--ask your vet about possibly trying that. Is your dog taking any other allergy medications i.e. Temeril P? The other thing I would question is would he benefit from trying a hypo-allerginic food--he might be allergic to one of the ingredients is the Fit and Trim food your feeding. Good luck allergy's are a pain!!!