Less Than 12 Hours To Go!

Guest ayerish

Guest ayerish

We have an appointment to pick up our first greyhound at 10 am Saturday! I think we spent more energy getting the house ready for her than we did for any of the kids! :lol Her name is Lottie and she is a 4 1/2 year old brindle recently retired from Dairyland Park in Kenosha, WI.

We are so excited! We're pretty sure our 14 year old Golden Retriever (Dakota) knows something is up. After all, we brought in a food dish too high for him to reach! Basically, Dakota really doesn't care...he wants to be your friend...for about 5 minutes until its time for his next nap! hehe

Funny story...the grey we originally wanted to adopt was named 'Pleasure.' However, by the time we filed our application, Pleasure was already adopted. Looking back on it, it worked out for the best. Can you imagine trying to locate an escaped dog named Pleasure? "Pleasure! Pleasure!! I'm looking for Pleasure...has anyone seen Pleasure lately?" hehe...explain THAT to the neighbors!

Anyway, here is a picture (hopefully) of Lottie from our 'meet and greet' at Dairyland.

DSCF6529.jpg

Edited by ayerish

Wonderful. :) Your world is about to change forever... in a fabulous way. :D

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Ooooh! She's gorgeous! Welcome to the cult! Oh... I mean... the wonderful world of greyhounds... yeah, that's it!!

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest VanillaBean

Congratulations! My VanillaBean came from Dairyland as well. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories!!

Your world is about to change forever... in a fabulous way. :D

Yep. Congratulations!

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Congratulations! She's a pretty dark brindle girl. I hope there are a lot of pictures of her homecoming.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

:welcome

Greetings from Gainesville, Florida, and welcome to GT. You will love it here!

Lottie is gorgeous; can't wait to see more pictures of her!!

Congrats!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest ayerish

Just a few pics to get started:

Here's Ace, the cat. As you can easily see, Ace wants nothing to do with any of it:

DSCF6535.jpg

Here's Dakota, our 14 year old Golden. Dakota says, "Just cuz there's snow on the roof........." He is FAR too interested in Lottie....SHE is not amused.

DSCF6537.jpg

And, here's Lottie, still exploring....hasn't laid down yet!!

DSCF6543.jpg

And, she discovered the other greyhound we keep trapped in a mirror!!

DSCF6542.jpg

She's very cute...our girl Zelda raced at Dairyland...It took some time for Zelda to settle in...with Pop, it was just a few minutes of whining and looking for his foster mom before he plopped down on a dog bed. Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds...

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest houndlover

Congrats...she is a beauty. I will be looking for updates and more pics! Hope she settles in and everyone gets a good nites sleep tonite!

Guest ayerish

Lottie's first night at home went well...as long as my daughter slept on the floor next to Lottie's bed! :lol It didn't take Lottie long to figure out that she likes her new bed:

DSCF6552.jpg

She loves the yard (mosquitos and all) and she loves wandering around on the deck:

DSCF6554.jpg

DSCF6556.jpg

I have a couple of concerns that maybe people with a lot more experience than me can help with. First of all, she's not really eating...at all! She's drinking; so, she's not getting dehydrated. But she's refusing food. Earlier today, she threw up some yellowish bile and nothing else. So, I'm guessing she hasn't really nipped into her food at all. Any surefire, greyhound-irresistable suggestions from anyone?

Also, she's having a hard time accepting the fact that our Golden lives there, too. She growls and barks any time he comes into the same room she's in. Since I have only ever had one dog at a time, how long does it take dogs to get used to each other?

I also have to figure out how to make Lottie's food available to her but unavailable to the Golden. He must have eaten Lottie's food yesterday....as evidenced by the doggie diarrhea all over the house this morning! :eek

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...this is all new to us!!

Guest widowcali

With the food, if you are feeding her what the rescue group was feeding her than she is probably just nervous and unsure. If you have a different food, I would try some toppers (canned pumpkin, maybe some vanilla yogurt, mix in a littel Peanut Butter) or something.

With the other dog, it takes time. They really aren't very sure with other dogs (they lived with only greyhounds for so long that they don't know what those other furry creatures are). I would do a lot of positive reinforcement. Every time she sees the other dog, give her pets and love or treats or something like that. Luckily I didn't have a problem introducing Cali and Widow together, but that is what others have done. Muzzles might be a good idea for a while until they get used to each other. Others might have a better idea on that though.

sometimes it takes a while for a new dog to settle enough to eat. she will when she's hungry enough :). she'll also get used to your other dog. btw, Lottie is beautiful!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest ayerish

Lottie's eating! Turns out she loves her kibble mixed with strawberry yogurt! Such a girly-girl.

Her race name at Dairyland was BL Lottie Dah.

And, I think she retired because she lost her prey drive. While I was walking her this morning, we went into the back yard. There, clinging to the willow tree trunk, was a gray, fuzzy squirrel. Lottie saw it, watched it climbed the tree and turned around and walk back towards the house! Good thing, for I didn't really feel like chasing a squirrel at 6 am this morning!