Omg - Omg

Guest jurishound

Guest jurishound

On the cusp of Cuffy's diagnosis, Stormy is now sick! He stopped eating and began vomiting on Wednesday, so we went in this morning. Today, he is jaundiced and has very dark urine. He had lots of blood work done along with xrays of his tummy, and then we were sent to the hospital for an abdominal ultrasound. Conclusion: Diffuse splenomegaly with heterogenous parenchyma; findings compatible with extramedullary hematopoiesis, IMHA, splenitis, or possibly diffuse infiltrative disease. Huh? :unsure I am trying not to panic and am waiting to hear from the vet on Stormy's blood work and Cuffy's pathology report. Triple yikes. :cry1

Edited by jurishound

Guest SoulsMom

Oh no!! I didn't understand what the "diagnosis" is but it doesn't sound great. :grouphug to you Joslin. Hang in there and we are here for you.

Guest BradyzMommy

:grouphug

is it a problem with the spleen or the liver?

the jaundice and the dark urine worry me.....

is he on any medications? NSAIDS?

:grouphug

Edited by BradyzMommy

Egad. Sending prayers for you and your boys.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Does the vet seem to be overly concerned? I hope it sounds scarier than it is.

Hope just a simple antibiotic will clear it all up.

Prayers for you all.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest VanillaBean
On the cusp of Cuffy's diagnosis, Stormy is now sick! He stopped eating and began vomiting on Wednesday, so we went in this morning. Today, he is jaundiced and has very dark urine. He had lots of blood work done along with xrays of his tummy, and then we were sent to the hospital for an abdominal ultrasound. Conclusion: Diffuse splenomegaly with heterogenous parenchyma; findings compatible with extramedullary hematopoiesis, IMHA, splenitis, or possibly diffuse infiltrative disease. Huh? :unsure I am trying not to panic and am waiting to hear from the vet on Stormy's blood work and Cuffy's pathology report. Triple yikes. :cry1

Diffuse splenomegaly: Big Spleen

Heterogenous parenchyma: Lots of highly functioning tissue

Hematopoiesis: making of blood cells

IMHA: Anemia-some tye of

Spleenitis: Inflammation of Spleen

Hope this helps you even a little.

Sending lots of prayers and healing energy!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest paulamariez

Sending lots of prayers for both Cuffy and Stormy. One sick guy is bad enough, now two!! Poor guys. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending them both some get well doggie kisses too!

Guest ChasesMum

I believe IMHA is Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia but I could be wrong, I am not a vet (but I will be going back to school for it!)

i also put in my huh? triple yikes!!

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest gretzky

Geez Joslin, that certainly sounds scary! I hope it turns out to be something minor. Fingers crossed for both of your boys. :grouphug

Guest Vinnie

Those big long words always scare me! And no explanation in English from your vet? Hope when he/she calls back that it turns out to be something that can be easily cleared up with meds and rest. Will add both your babies to our prayer chants. Sending lots of healing thoughts and white light.

Wow, anyone else notice lately that when one gets sick another in your house/pack follows?

Hugs and scritches.

Guest Carla

Joslin,

I am sorry to hear you are fighting 2 battles here. It is frustrating enough to have

one sick grey, nevermind two at the same time.

Sending Cuffy and Stormy positive thoughts, healing white energy and tons of prayers.

Also sending many hugs to you!

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Carla

Yikes, Joslin! :eek I'm so sorry that Stormy is now sick, too! What is it with everyone's hounds getting sick in pairs recently?? Hugs to you, Stormy and Cuffy. I hope that Skye is doing well, too. :bighug

Please keep us posted and good luck! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck:clover:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Hi Joslin

Sounds like IMHA - hemolytic anemia, which would cause splenic enlargement, and also jaundice (and dark urine - both are due to elevated serum bilirubin). The elevated bilirubin occurs due to the breakdown of red blood cells. I hate to say it but this is an emergency, requiring steroids and immunosuppression ASAP. Definitely contact Dr. Couto immediately, and he can guide you further.

I'll also e-mail you...

You've had more than your share, Joslin.... it really bites. :( What's happening with all of our Massachusetts hounds??

ETA: some links on IMHA.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1390

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deimha.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...ytic_Anemia.htm

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...ID=15727&O=Generic

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest RooRoo

good grief! I'm sorry about this now with Cuffy. Are there additional tests to be definite? Thinking of you and wishing nothing but good news - soon!!!

Prayers and good thoughts for healing.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16