Missing Patch Of Hair On Tail

I posted in my rawfeeding forum b/c I was concerned this could be related to my dog's diet, but also wanted to post here because someone replied that it was common with whippets and might be with greys as well. Having said that, I can't remember seeing it with many of my fosters...

Anyway, Zuri has a small patch, no more than 1"x1.5", on the back of his tail where he's missing his fur. He's had it for quite some time and I've attributed it to him still being crated. However, I recently noticed a similar patch developing on Neyla's tail, and my boyfriend's ridgeback/pit bull mix, Tiber now has one on his tail. Tiber's developed when he stayed at my house. He was crated, which he isn't at home, and had also recently been switched to raw (my dogs are raw fed) so it doesn't really help me figure out what's going on.

I don't think it's ringworm (I've seen that before) or parasites (Neyla recently had a fecal) so I'm inclined to think crate, diet, or greyhound weirdness. Neyla is not crated, but chooses to lay in them on her own (and is fed in one), but that hasn't changed over time and I think her patch is new (although with the hot weather, she's maybe choosing the crate over the couch with me more often these days). Like I said, Zuri IS crated when I'm not home and is fed in one, but doesn't usually lay in them otherwise. Tiber lays in crates at home, but is never closed in, and is not fed in one.

At this point, I'm inclined to think it's just the crates, but would appreciate any input.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is there anything on her belly like blisters? Shanti has lost all her hair on her tail and has yucky sores from a staph infection. There are pictures in her thread of tail problems if you want to see what Staph can do.

Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse take you pup in. It multilplys fast if it is staph!

The Girls

Not seeing pictures I will just throw out a guess of 'stud tail'. Do search on here with those words and you will find lots of posts and some have pictures. Three of mine have stud tail, 2 boys and a girl.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty has a similar patch on his tail. I specifically asked the vet about it when we were there for the annual check-in this week; she said that it didn't look like anything to her, and that it's very, very common for dogs to have a bald patch on the top side of the tail where it might rub something.

Its a scent gland on the tail, called the precaudle gland.

Yep, on a lot of dogs the fur is sparser there and coarser.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Stud tail sounds so much more manly. ;):lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest ellieb
Arty has a similar patch on his tail. I specifically asked the vet about it when we were there for the annual check-in this week; she said that it didn't look like anything to her, and that it's very, very common for dogs to have a bald patch on the top side of the tail where it might rub something.

Indigo also has a bald patch on her tail. It has been there since we adopted her. Our vet and a buddy who is a vet tech both looked at it. Said it could be some sort of rub or where she bites/licks it. They didn't seem concerned. It hasn't gotten any larger. Naturally, I worry about it. :P

Stud tail sounds so much more manly. ;):lol

If the spot is about 6 - 8" down the tail, measuring from the back, I'd also vote for stud tail. Both my very girly girls have it!

Gillian

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest houndlover

Both of my boys have this too and I never knew what it was. I had always attributed Billy's bald spot on his tail to his thyroid problem but now that Casey has the same type of spot and no thyroid issue I wasn't sure what was going on. Glad to know that it isn't anything to worry about.

Thanks guys! You never fail to have the answers. After doing a bit more reading on stud tail, I'm certain that's what it is and am no longer worried. GT rocks! :rivethead

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Flashy has stud tail too! :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GunnyGirl

Gunny has that, too. She just developed it a few months ago. No soreness, inflammation, she doesn't bother it. I noticed it when I take her outside and the patch of hair/tail was lighter, which I had never noticed before. I actually looked closer and felt it about a week ago, and there isn't anything wrong.

Yes, my Gunnygirl is such a stud!!!! :lol