Ivomec

Does anyone use the Ivomec injectable solution (orally) as heartworm medication for their greys? This was suggested to me on another forum and I want to make sure that I am not alone in this. It is a much cheaper alternative to heartguard or any other heartworm pill. I have a whippet who cannot tolerate the pills and will have the ginormous version of the big D after being given a heartworm pill. This does not have those side effects, but I want to make sure that the pups are receiving adequate protection. I use .05 cc per 10 lbs. thanks. Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest greytlady

I have used the injectible ivomec for heartworm prevention for years. I use the dosage of .1ml per 10lbs. Several of my adopters that have multiple hounds use it also, much more cost friendly. I just squirt on their food the first of every month.

Edited by greytlady

Guest KennelMom

We use beef-flavored liquid ivermectin for our crew - it's prescribed by our vet and mixed by a pharmacy for us. Same dosage as above is on the label (.1 ml/10lbs). Since I have to dose so many dogs, it's easier for me to shoot the liquid in their mouth and KNOW they got the dosage than give everyone pills and worry about someone dropping it and not eating it.

Edited by KennelMom

thanks for the information and corrected dosage. It is a much easier (and cheaper) method. I realize it tastes nasty, but one squirt once a month, followed by a treat and life is good! Appreciate the responses! Cindy

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I think (if my fading memory is correct) that it doesn't protect against everything the heartworm pills do, so you might want to test annually to be safe.

I've used it (well, the vet's used it) for several guinea pigs that have shown up with mites--it's amazing how many different species it's safe for.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest KennelMom
I think (if my fading memory is correct) that it doesn't protect against everything the heartworm pills do, so you might want to test annually to be safe.

Liquid ivomec won't have the pyrantel that Heartguard has included in the tabs, so an additional worming schedule may be used in conjunction with the liquid ivomec. That's about the only difference.

what is the strongid for? These are the first dogs I have ever had and some of this is quite new to me!

Guest KennelMom

Strongid is a de-wormer (pyrantel pamoate). If you are a novice dog owner, I would highly recommend sitting down with your vet and discussing all these things - your choice to use liquid ivomec, worming schedule, etc....I really think your vet needs to be on board. I can't imagine doing all these things separately is significantly less expensive if you just own a dog or two than buying the pre-packaged stuff. If your dog didn't handle one brand of heartworm prevention very well, there are others to choose from. Just my :2c

Edited by KennelMom