Is Tramadol Safe?

Just found out that my little lady with bling, Cash, has her 5 & 6th vertebra kind of smashed together-almost no intervertebral distance- from an old injury at the track that has suddenly become more painful for her. One of the things the vet gave me is Tramadol for the pain: 1/2 -2 tablets every 8-12 hours for the pain. I won't give it to her until I find out from real greyhound people that it is safe as I don't have any prior knowledge about it. Have you used it? Is it safe? Does it work? Does dosage look appropriate? As soon as I make sure it is safe I'll give it to her so she can start feeling better. Thanks for your help!

Guest charmsmom

Tramadol is a very commonly used pain reliever for greyhounds. It's safe, but like any drug, dogs can have a reaction. Just keep an eye out. It will make her drowsy.

edited kuz i kant spel

Edited by charmsmom

Guest KennelMom

It's safe. Have used it many times for our greys. It's a pain reliever - we've given to to dogs with foot injuries, back injuries and osteo.

Absolutely.

And I take it myself!

Tramadol is a good pain reliever that seems to have few side effects. My last dog was not a greyhound, but had a very painful malignant tumor, and the vet prescribed it. I asked her if it was the same as what I take, and she said yes, so I just shared mine with him! Lots of greyhounds take it with no problem.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck