I Am A Believer...emt Gel Is A Wonder Drug

Guest AlmondJoy

Guest nerak254

I posted last week about Aruba's leg and the booboo she had. Taking her to the vet was not an option for something like that at this time. We are scraping by just barely and the vet has to be for big stuff right now. Anyway, I went to Gander Mountain and got the gel. The wound is reduced by better than 1/2 and looks great. I have EMT Gel, a non-stick pad, vet wrap, and a long sleeved shirt on her and she's leaving it alone. :pinkele I'm thinking I am go back and get the spray too. Has anyone used it?

Edited by nerak254

I bought both the gel and the spray. Last time Opie had a cut (probably from running somewhere!) and kept licking it, I used the gel. He stopped licking and it healed in days. The stuff is wonderful.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Love EMT Gel. Hate EMT Spray! The spray in my opinion was useless - it had no effect at all on keeping the wound covered or their tongue away from licking it. Maybe others have had a better result with the spray. For me, I will stick with the gel.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest FireHorse

We use EMT Gel a lot here too-there's a tube in the people kit and a tube in the dog kit.

The spray though...my guys *like* the taste of the bittering agent in it and will lick at it, even if they wouldn't normally have licked the booboo. I've still got it, but never use it.

Guest TippyTy

ditto here. i have both. definitely stick with the gel. the only reason i bought the spray was to deter licking... and no luck. one of the pups actually tried to lick the bottle. :blink:

Guest greytloves

Love the gel. However, don't let it get old as it becomes a hard little concrete tube. Keep a fresh one on hand!

ETA: however, I am a bigger fan of hydrotherapy for most wounds.

Edited by greytloves

Wow. I've never used it, but have considered buying it. The only thing that stopped me was that Merlin's First Aid kit is three times the size of mine. :P:lol: I'll have to get some!

What's hydrotherapy? healing with water...?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greytloves

Yep, hydrotherapy is the best thing ever, especially for those cuts and nicks are guys tend to get in the darndest of places. You either take a shower head or a outside faucet hose and run it over the wound (not a hard jet spray) a couple times a day for about a minute and any wound would heal really, really quick.

Edited by greytloves

The spray doesn't seem to form a good scab. The bitter taste is not bitter enough to deter most dogs from licking. Make sure you don't use too much of the gel. I took off a good sized patch of Tucker's fur when I cemented a cut with too much gel. His back was so hard that I thought I had turned him into a turtle.

I found the spray useless, but love the gel! Sugar had a way of turning teeny little scrapes into major hot spots with licking. EMT gel was the only thing that stopped her.

Fletcher isn't as bad about licking, but I swear, that dog can't even think about going outside without getting a scrape or a scratch somewhere :rolleyes: I only gel the bigger ones.

What is this miracle product and where do you get it????????????????????

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What is this miracle product and where do you get it????????????????????

greysmom :D

Where do you buy this wonder product with 6 holigans I should have some on hand

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest myjazzy

I bought some at Bass Pro Shops a few weeks ago when I was dealing with a happy tail that wouldn't heal. I had to use it with a bandage, because Gem would lick off the gel if I didn't cover it. What I did was put on the gel and let it set and then used a non-stick pad over the wound and a vet wrap called "NO CHEW" (got that from KV Vet). She left the vet wrap alone. After I got this process down ( with bandage changes every two days), her tail healed within two weeks. I though that tail would NEVER heal for a while there.

Haven't tried the spray, but I definitely give the gel a "two thumbs up". :)

EMT gel is great! But, you really are not supposed to use a bandage with it. If you're not careful, you will GLUE the bandage to the wound!

Our vet also recommended an herbal wound spray they've had good success with on horses. We're using it on Xtra Ranch (see his thread in EEG). When we go back out to do his hydrotherapy, I'll look at the bottle and get the exact name of it.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest mountain4greys

The Gel is great!!! The stuff really is a wonder drug. It's so nice to use something where you can see it work.

I've never used the EMT but always hear such great things about it. I've always used Wound Kote on the horses and then someone from the kennel said she had great success with it on the dogs. Sure enough it heals very very quickly. It's a spray and the only draw back is it sprays on blue and will stain material if you over spray.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've used Wound Kote on dogs with some success but not a sgood as EMT gel. You are right -- the purple/blue color is a PITA.

Thanks for posting this, now I have to get this gel

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The Gel is great!!! The stuff really is a wonder drug. It's so nice to use something where you can see it work.

okay mountain man where would I find it in Pittsburgh or does KV Vet carry it

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Here's the stuff our vet is having us use on Xtra Ranch.

Schreiner's Herbal Solution

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

okay mountain man where would I find it in Pittsburgh or does KV Vet carry it

Jeffers Pet carries it in their equine section for a very good price. They also almost always have really good clearance stuffies ($1-$2) to round out your order.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg