Need Help Figuring Out What Spencer's Problem Is...

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm going to write this in such a way as I don't interject what I think might be the problem so I can get some candid opinions.

Starting Saturday, Spencer was acting strangely. He would stand and pant for hours before lying down and then not laying down on his side which he does most of the time but crouched up - semi-phynix (sp). He ate breakfast and dinner and was drinking water normally but nothing changed with him. He was also eliminating normally plus drinking normal amounts of water.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they did x-rays looking for spine/neck problems and manipulated all his joints but nothing was conclusive on the x-rays. They took blood to test for Valley Fever. Vet gave me Tramadol to see if that helped with pain that he thinks Spencer is having. Tramadol has done nothing for him. Spencer still stands and pants. He won't jump up on my bed which is his favorite and as of last night he hasn't eaten dinner or breakfast. Again he was eliminating normally this morning although I haven't seen him drink any water but that doesn't mean he didn't.

So I'm inclinded to take him back to the vet but was wondering what you guys think so I can ask the vet about your opinions.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I have been having a lot of health issues with Spencer lately. He is turning 8 in Sept. so he's not a senior (in my mind). There has been nothing out of the ordinary in his routine other than having a new foster in the house and Spencer is ignoring the foster which is typical behavior for him.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Sounds like Memphis was before he was diagnosed with Valley Fever.

Sending good thoughts for Spencer :hope

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Sounds like Memphis was before he was diagnosed with Valley Fever.

Sending good thoughts for Spencer :hope

This is going to be weird to say, but right now I'm hoping that's what he has because all of these non-specific problems he's been having this year are frustrating! If I know what it is then I can at least monitor/fix it! Valley Fever meds have gone way down in price if I recall correctly. I remember back in the 80's early 90's people were going down to Mexico to pick up the drugs because they were so expensive! If Spencer's tests come back positive, then I will post a separate topic on Valley Fever. Thanks!

Panting and standing or walking is usually a sign of pain and/or stress.

The old question, often repeated here, have their been tick titers done? And in the meantime, is there a vet or vets who also practices chiropractic and acupuncture?

Has anything else in his life changed?

Has he had immunizations or any new meds lately?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

my guess would be back or neck pain and that he needs an anti-inflammatory, not just pain meds

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greytful4

Did he fall or injure himself that he may be sore and in pain? Whatever it is, I hope it's just something really simple and will clear up immediately! Hound hugs to your fella! :gh_child

My boy had these same types of issues, The first time it happened I just gave him Rimadyl and my own massage. He was better in a couple of days. The second time i luckily had an appointment set for chiropractic treatment and that really made him better fast, and with longer period of time before it happened again.

Looking back, this was probably the beginning of Lumbo Sacral Stenosis.

good luck!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

On the face of it, it sounds like either a neck/back thing or something systemic like the VF.

BUT.

Did your vet check a urine sample for UTI/crystals?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
On the face of it, it sounds like either a neck/back thing or something systemic like the VF.

BUT.

Did your vet check a urine sample for UTI/crystals?

No urine test but I will definitely mention it for an UTI!

Panting and standing or walking is usually a sign of pain and/or stress.

The old question, often repeated here, have their been tick titers done? And in the meantime, is there a vet or vets who also practices chiropractic and acupuncture?

Has anything else in his life changed?

Has he had immunizations or any new meds lately?

No lifestyle changes other than a foster we had for 7 months left and a new one came in on Friday. And no tick titers were done so I will put that on my list to ask vet! He was very sick last month with vomiting and diarreah and was on some drug for a while - I cam't think of the name of it offhand though.

my guess would be back or neck pain and that he needs an anti-inflammatory, not just pain meds

Spencer was thoroughly checked out for neck/back pain and didn't give any indication that he was in any pain from the manipulations or that of his legs. The vet didn't want him on an anti-inflammatory because he was worried about the affects on his liver.

Did he fall or injure himself that he may be sore and in pain? Whatever it is, I hope it's just something really simple and will clear up immediately! Hound hugs to your fella! :gh_child

Thanks! No injuries from falling at least that I know of!

sometimes stomach pain can keep a dog from jumping on the bed and give them difficulty getting up and down. since he's previously had stomach issues, I would guess there is something going on there again. can you give him a pepcid and see if that helps?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
sometimes stomach pain can keep a dog from jumping on the bed and give them difficulty getting up and down. since he's previously had stomach issues, I would guess there is something going on there again. can you give him a pepcid and see if that helps?

Thanks I will give him a pepcid when I get home. My dad went over to check on him and said he wouldn't eat any treats but otherwise acted normally although he didn't see him drink any water and Spencer has always drank a lot of water. When I get home, I'm going to have to check on the water thing because if he's not drinking then it's off to the vet for sure!

Have you run him down to Gary Yocham at Southside Animal Hospital? He's one of the top greyhound vets in the state- used to be the track vet for Phoenix. He's one of the last affordable vets in the Valley to boot!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest MAXNAV
I'm going to write this in such a way as I don't interject what I think might be the problem so I can get some candid opinions.

Starting Saturday, Spencer was acting strangely. He would stand and pant for hours before lying down and then not laying down on his side which he does most of the time but crouched up - semi-phynix (sp). He ate breakfast and dinner and was drinking water normally but nothing changed with him. He was also eliminating normally plus drinking normal amounts of water.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they did x-rays looking for spine/neck problems and manipulated all his joints but nothing was conclusive on the x-rays. They took blood to test for Valley Fever. Vet gave me Tramadol to see if that helped with pain that he thinks Spencer is having. Tramadol has done nothing for him. Spencer still stands and pants. He won't jump up on my bed which is his favorite and as of last night he hasn't eaten dinner or breakfast. Again he was eliminating normally this morning although I haven't seen him drink any water but that doesn't mean he didn't.

So I'm inclinded to take him back to the vet but was wondering what you guys think so I can ask the vet about your opinions.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I have been having a lot of health issues with Spencer lately. He is turning 8 in Sept. so he's not a senior (in my mind). There has been nothing out of the ordinary in his routine other than having a new foster in the house and Spencer is ignoring the foster which is typical behavior for him.

The same sort of thing happened to me with my collie. He kept pacing and panting and had trouble laying down on his side. He couldn't. I kept checking him all over with no response from him, until I moved my hand over the shoulder down the front of him and started under the arm pit. He actually snapped at me (which he had never done before), so I knew he was in pain. He looked startled himself, and ashamed that he had snapped at me. Of course it was on a Sunday, so we had to wait until Mon. a.m. to call the vet. I warned the vet to be careful when checking him, and when he got to the same spot, again, Max started to snap. The muscle was pulled and a little swollen. He must have pulled it when romping in the yard. He used to come down hard on his front legs, just like Navigator (my grey) does. He had to put him on Dermaxx which helped with the inflamation. He was 75% better in 24 hrs. After the second dose of Dermaxx, you wouldn't even know that he had hurt himself. We still had to be careful not to let him romp until he was better.

I hope Spencer is better.

Guest iconsmum

Have you looked at his mouth? I'd be looking for an abscessed tooth - severe mouth pain can make just about everything intolerable - including moving about and changing positions and it might or might not affect his drinking and eating ability, depending on where the problem in his mouth is

Edited by iconsmum

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Update:

Spencer's Valley Fever test came back negative which is good. I talked to a different vet in the practice who is actually the owner and I was describing that Spencer was eating normally again but that his rear end seemed weak as he wouldn't jump up on the bed and walked with his hind end kind of skewed. The vet said it could be an embolism or herniated disc neither of which would show up in the x-rays. He did say he had excellent x-rays - very good bones. So he suggested a course of Prednisone. I was going to start that today but then Spencer just jumped up on my bed like he normally does so I'm going to wait I think. I would rather not put him on steroids if I can help it. What do you guys think?

since his VF came back negative, and he seems to be doing better, I agree with holding off on the pred. You can always start it if he backslides. I would also look into acupuncture for him. Sugar had a lot of back end problems last fall. The pred (and pain meds) helped short term, but the acupuncture kept her "fixed". Around Thanksgiving, I really thought was going to lose her. By the beginning of this year, she was walking normally, even running a bit in the back yard (she was 12.5 after all :) ), and eating well, until the end.

Update:

The vet said it could be an embolism or herniated disc neither of which would show up in the x-rays.

If there is an embolism in the leg, the pulse in the femoral artery of the affected leg would be weaker than the unaffected leg or just plain not there. It's so easy to check. If the vets didn't do femoral checks after telling you there might be an embolism, I'd fire them, check them myself, and start looking for a new vet. Grrr. :angry:

Marcia in SC

Guest paulamariez

Glad to hear that Spencer is feeling a bit better! I'll keep your sweetheart in my prayers for a quick and complete healing!!

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Update:

The vet said it could be an embolism or herniated disc neither of which would show up in the x-rays.

If there is an embolism in the leg, the pulse in the femoral artery of the affected leg would be weaker than the unaffected leg or just plain not there. It's so easy to check. If the vets didn't do femoral checks after telling you there might be an embolism, I'd fire them, check them myself, and start looking for a new vet. Grrr. :angry:

Marcia in SC

I didn't quite understand what he was talking about but it had something to do with it getting lodged in the spine from cartiledge/bone loss. As I said, I didn't quite get it all. Spencer is doing better by the minute and is very playful and happy again which is so nice to see!