Shanti's Tail Problem

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like things are really starting to look up....all the way around. Tell DH we're keeping fingers crossed for him

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest longdogs

I'm looking forward to Shanti regaining her equilibrium. She must have been really uncomfortable and distressed, now things look a lot more optimistic. So what is the theory, did VF lower her immunosuppression and allow staph to get a grip, or are both the VF and staph an indication that she has immune problems?

I'm looking forward to Shanti regaining her equilibrium. She must have been really uncomfortable and distressed, now things look a lot more optimistic. So what is the theory, did VF lower her immunosuppression and allow staph to get a grip, or are both the VF and staph an indication that she has immune problems?

We had her on immune suppression medication for Immune Mediated Poly Arthritis. It was that medication (Prednisone and Imuran) that lowered her system enough to let the Valley Fever rear its ugly head and get caught. It is also the lower immune that kicked off the staph infection. Had she not been immune suppressed, they do not believe we would have had a staph problem. At least that is the report the dermatologist gave us today.

It is the thought of both vets we get this cleared up and she will be a new dog! But be prepared for the medication for life. Maybe she won't need it, but could so be prepared. I am okay with that.

The Girls

Guest longdogs

I probably missed an earlier posting. William also had immune mediated poly arthritis and that's more than enough to deal with without all the other crap. Immune problems took him in the end after an 18 month battle. I really hope for better prospects for Shanti.

Guest Vinnie

Good to hear that everyone is doing better and that Nala's eye is only infected and not a scratched cornea. Asti, you and Gus make the perfect pair - launching low flying puppies! And Shanti - the news sounds so good after not knowing for so long and Mommy feeling your every little (and big) pain. Meds are so much better than the alternatives that were being thrown at you. Keep on healing Shanti, pretty soon you'll be able to wrestle with Asti.

Keeping fingers crossed for dh, his dream job and orange county.

And reminding you to finally relax and take some time for you - a nice spa day?

The vet just called again. The rest of the reports came back from the lab and dermatologist. Yep, all say staph on the tail and belly. Some dead skin on the tail. Figured that out! They believe it was from immune suppression. And they could not rule out fungal, which we now know she has too.

Looks like we will do a mini blood panel 2-4 weeks after starting the itraconazole to make sure her liver and kidneys are doing well. I should get that medication tomorrow.

Both vets are feeling really good about this and believe in the months ahead we may be able to back off the pain killers as well. It will be a long road, but a fixable road!

To top it off, DH is still in the running for his dream job. Hopefully he will get that too! They asked if he wanted the Central Coast as that just opened. I like it, but not ready to move and neither is he. So we pray for Orange County. :)

I'm so glad Shanti HAS a long road ahead of her.....we wouldn't want it any other way. Give that girlie a kiss for me. :kiss2

So, where exactly on the central coast was DH's job offer? We vacation there every year and love it.

And, as far as staying away from the vet's office? Hmmmm......I don't know if the credit cards gods will be so kind. :P:lol

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Credit Card gods are not that nice I am sure!

The job was the entire Central Coast. From I believe Valencia to SF. We lived in SLO for 5 years in school and loved it, but just don't see that happening. OC is a better producing territory. Although I was warming up to the idea of Pismo Beach. ;)

Shanti unwrapped her tail again today. If she did not start chewing it, I was going to leave it unwrapped. Not so lucky. If it is wrapped she leaves it alone. A couple more days of it. It looks good. I took another picture. I will upload it shortly.

I am going to Palm Springs tomorrow night for the night and Friday. I think Scott can handle the "girls" for a night. I hope! I postponed it once, not going to do it again.

The Girls

Guest tricolorhounds
The job was the entire Central Coast. From I believe Valencia to SF. We lived in SLO for 5 years in school and loved it, but just don't see that happening. OC is a better producing territory. Although I was warming up to the idea of Pismo Beach. ;)

How do you feel about houseguests ??? :lol:lol:lol

Hey......I wanna come!! :wave

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Her belly is again blister free! Hopefully she will leave her tail wrapped so Scott does not have to mess with it tonight. :) I am off for one night out of town. Palm Springs here I come!

Good timing, you will just miss the monsoon moisture

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Her tail is bald but looks healed. I am going to try to leave it unwrapped. Her belly looks okay.

Sadly, she bit me again. I got stupid and left her unmuzzled since she wasn't reacting to it. I cleaned her belly and got bit. She drew a little blood this time. I am guessing her belly is sensitive still. Dang, you would think I was smarter than that. Silly me for trusting a dog that is not up to snuff. :(

The Girls

Guest luvRgreys

I'm sure Shanti, didn't mean it :unsure:unsure Bless her heart, she's been thru so much, and so have YOU!!! So glad she's getting better now.

Guest Vinnie

Ohh, I know how that feels - Gus was snapping on Friday and almost got me - I then showed him I bite back and have bigger teeth - he kissed on me for ten minutes after that! Still learning that he is not pack leader. And for the first time I muzzled him at the vets that afternoon - it is amazing how fast they are with their teeth when they are hurting - and since our vets face was even with his teeth I thought better safe than sorry.

I am sorry she got you again - and I am sure she was just like Gus afterwards. But I must say, her tail looks so much better. Hope you got to relax on your mini trip. Gus sends nosey kisses to your gang and of course a healing kiss to you.

Guest greytloves

Ouch!

Yes, we tend to be slower learners then our pups sometimes. I did a stupid, stupid thing the other day that made me remember that I should know better!

Glad to hear she is doing better.

Shanti was screaming a couple times last night. I rewrapped her tail. I sprayed it with GenOne that Sue sent me. I think it is just too sensitive still. It has no protection. I am running out of vet wrap, so her tail is a rainbow today. :) Hate to waste it.

Her joint looks a bit better though no less painful yet. This may be a slow process, but I plan on getting her well!

I leave in 2 weeks for our one big summer trip to Lake Shasta. She will have my friend the vet tech to stay with her since she is "high maintenance" at the moment. Hopefully we will be much better and easier to by then. :)

The Girls

Guest brit1

sorry if I missed it but did you already put fresh aloe (scraped out of the leaf) on her tail? Its pure and simple and healing. Also btw if they happen to lick it will not hurt them but believe me they don't like the taste of fresh aloe. I would also pierce some vitamin e capsules (pure d-alpha not the synthetic dl-alpha) and squeeze onto areas with the aloe, only use the caps for humans, most of the other stuff in bottles has other things added. anne

sorry if I missed it but did you already put fresh aloe (scraped out of the leaf) on her tail? Its pure and simple and healing. Also btw if they happen to lick it will not hurt them but believe me they don't like the taste of fresh aloe. I would also pierce some vitamin e capsules (pure d-alpha not the synthetic dl-alpha) and squeeze onto areas with the aloe, only use the caps for humans, most of the other stuff in bottles has other things added. anne

Hi Anne!

I have not tried that. I do believe I have a plant still in the backyard that the dogs have not torn up. :) Lord knows you can't kill that stuff easily. :)

How is Savannah doing?

The Girls

Guest Vinnie

Ooohhh, good point - vitamin e caps are wonderful. My grandparents owned a health food store in the valley most of my life and when I had any surgeries we used the vitamin e and it was always soothing and left little if any scars. And the aloe with it - double whammy of good stuff. Sure hope she heals up so she is not so sensitive so that you can leave and enjoy your vacation and not be worried. Sending more healing thoughts and chants.