Shanti's Tail Problem

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tricolorhounds

Savannah's little brother Avi, who we sit for, has Valley Fever. I don't know a lot about it but he doesn't even have to take his meds anymore he's doing so well.

Guest Vinnie

:confetti:clap WooHoo! :confetti:clap That so made my night! I wanted to show you how close Gracie looks to Shanti (no peeking at the tail though) so here she is:

IMGP9000.jpg

Gracie & Gus are very glad that her "twin" has good news finally out in Gus' home town. Keep up the good work on her tail and belly. Lots of hugs to you all and scritches to Shanti. Will keep them in our prayers and thoughts.

Oh, and love the family photo - Nala seems just a bit protective :jaw - both our nieces thought she was a wolf!

Edited by Vinnie

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am so glad to hear the diagnosis is not cancer. Valley fever sounds scary enough, for sure, but it is treatable and that makes all the difference. Sending good thoughts Shanti's way!

Guest greytloves

What a relief! Wonderful news for you and Shanti, Valley Fever is a much better diagnosis then the sucky C word!

Give her an extra cookie, and her tail looks so much better!

Guest argolola

Praise God for the good news! Shanti has been in my prayers. She will get through the treatment just fine. She has such a loving family.

:confetti:confetti OH YES!!! No cancer. Valley Fever is treatable and the good thing is that the drugs have come way down in price. The anti-fungal meds used to be very expensive...but not any more.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, and love the family photo - Nala seems just a bit protective :jaw - both our nieces thought she was a wolf!

She does look a lot like Shanti!

We call Nala our grizzly bear. :) My mom sent a photo of a bear in a window and it looks just like Nala. :lol She is my "deterrent" and security. :) Yet she is actually the mellowest dog! She is off to the vets today. I think Asti got her in the eye. :( They say things happen in 3's. 3 dogs, $3000, 3 weeks. I should be done right?!?!?!

I have been reading all I can on Valley Fever. Nasty little thing. Hopefully we can beat it. Hopefully we don't have to do the IV drugs. There is still a red flag in the back of my mind, the vet said he would talk to the oncologist on Tuesday. :unsure I believe that is to confirm all this. He said fungal is treatable and much better than what we thought. I stick with those happy thoughts!

The Girls

:confetti :confetti :confetti What a relief! Valley Fever can be very serious, but it *is* treatable, and it would explain the spots? shadows? whatever on the lungs. Poor girl has been through so much, let's hope this is the start of her complete recovery!

Greyt news!!! No cancer!!! You must be feeling so much better. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time right

now, but everyone will be fine. Thank God.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

What fabulous news. I mean not that she Valley Fever but that it's not cancer. Maybe finally things will start going your girl's way!!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest vahoundlover

I saw your other post first...and thought how did it jump to VF?!

Thank you doG for answering our prayers!! No Cancer, aren't those the best words ever?! :couchjump

I saw your other post first...and thought how did it jump to VF?!

Thank you doG for answering our prayers!! No Cancer, aren't those the best words ever?! :couchjump

My girl likes to go for the odd, smallest percentile sort of thing. ;) I did get warned this may not completely fix her joint problems.

The Girls

My girl is feeling better. Probably due to the antibiotics and no more imuran.

We took her stitches out last night from the biopsys. I had my friend Meghan do it. I just did not want to take her back in for that, and I was chicken. :P Her belly looked great last night, this morning we have a couple new small blisters. Her tail looks even better! Still loosing what is left of any hair. I am keeping it wrapped a bit longer for protection. She will stay on the antibiotics for at least a week after all signs of the staph infection are gone. So it will be a bit more. We are weaning off the prednisone and then the pepcid to start her VF treatment.

The good news is that she only needs rechecked every 6 months. Wonder if we can stay out of the vets office that long???? :P

It looks like we are finally on a upward trend!

The Girls

Guest Vinnie

WooHoo Shanti - that is wonderful news - on the mend! And how is Nala after your vet visit with her? Hope you put in Asti's info in c&f for landsharks weigh in (she is most definitely an honorary member and belongs with the club). Now then, instructions for you, take a deep breath (without the smog), exhale, drink something relaxing and lay around the pool to recharge. Hugs to you and scritches to the gang with continued chants of healing.

Nala is good. No scratched cornea, just infection. Asti is the prime suspect as she launches at her face on that side regularly. A little BMP ointment 2x a day. But, Nala weighs 90lbs! OMG! Got to get weight off her.

Shanti chowed her breakfast this morning! Not a drop left. :D

The Girls

:confetti:confetti You just keep the good news coming!! Good luck tomorrow and stay away from all those greys NEEDING homes :lol Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest vahoundlover

:yay:yay Excellent news on Shanti!! :yay:yay

Hope Nala's eye infection heals without any problems :goodluck

6 months without a vet visit, won't that feel strange! :lol;)

The vet just called again. The rest of the reports came back from the lab and dermatologist. Yep, all say staph on the tail and belly. Some dead skin on the tail. Figured that out! They believe it was from immune suppression. And they could not rule out fungal, which we now know she has too.

Looks like we will do a mini blood panel 2-4 weeks after starting the itraconazole to make sure her liver and kidneys are doing well. I should get that medication tomorrow.

Both vets are feeling really good about this and believe in the months ahead we may be able to back off the pain killers as well. It will be a long road, but a fixable road!

To top it off, DH is still in the running for his dream job. Hopefully he will get that too! They asked if he wanted the Central Coast as that just opened. I like it, but not ready to move and neither is he. So we pray for Orange County. :)

The Girls