Shanti's Tail Problem

Actually, there IS medical treatment for it. IIRC the treatment of choice is gentamycin. Which you and Shanti might already have tried.

Tail lesions aren't a hallmark of Alabama rot -- I think usually you'd see things on the legs or torso. But longshots might be worth asking about.

She has lesions all over her belly and legs. But the thought is staph. Gentamycin does not ring a bell in our medicine list. :P I will ask.

She just peed her bed. :( Good news is I had a waterproof pad on it. There is a slim chance is was Asti, but she just went outside. Plus the urine for Shanti is much darker, and that was on the bed. She was leaking earlier today. The antibiotics are suppose to help a bladder infection as well if she has one.

Edited by ShantisMom

The Girls

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted on here once when I had been petting Riley on his back and an entire chunk of skin and hair just peeled right off, leaving a big oozing sore. I FREAKED out. It turned out to be staph. So maybe that is what is happening on her tail? I really don't know, but you know I am thinking nothing but good thoughts for you guys. I wish I could give you all a big hug. :grouphug

Guest Vinnie

Oh gosh, I keep coming back to check, hoping that you have found what is wrong and Shanti is doing better - my heart is just breaking for you guys. I am so sorry that you are going through all this craziness. Hoping you get answers soon and Shanti stops hurting. Sending healing thoughts and prayers, extra hugs and scritches and lots of kisses from Baby Gus (the young have the ability to help us heal, right?!!).

Guest longdogs

Poor girl. Whatever it is must really hurt so it is only natural she'll snap, there's nothing else she can do. They should soon spot if it is a bacterial infection and be able to find the right antibiotics to hit it with. I am hoping that is what they find.

Morning update: Shantis tail has a new sore lower than the bandage. :( I was a sucker and let her sleep without being muzzled. I am guessing she chewed it, although the bandage does not look chewed. Her belly is a smidge better. Not much, but no large new ones. She still has a couple green blisters. From touch, it appears her fever is down. Before, her whole body was hot, now it is not. Omaha vaccine has the bitenot collars. I may have to break down and get one. She ate her boiled chicken for breakfast but did not touch any kibble. That is not too uncommon for her though.

She has not quite forgiven me yet. She did come upstairs and lay by me, but would not "acknowledge" me. :P I am guessing I have one more day of snubbing then she will turn.

Today, I have to rewrap the tail. Not looking forward to it! I am hoping the antibiotics have helped and it hurts a bit less.

Thanks for supporting us on this roller coaster ride we are on! It means a lot to me! :D

The Girls

I appear to be forgiven!!! Or she was just snuggling to get her muzzle off on me. :P

Ironically, she is walking a bit better today. She is actually putting her right front down now and then. We have done these antibiotics before and not gotten anything good leg wise out of them. Weird.

The Girls

Geez, I just hate that Shanti (and you!) are having to go through all this. I hope you see some signs that she's getting better soon.

If Dr. Herrera is there tomorrow, I'll say "hi" for you. ;):P

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Geez, I just hate that Shanti (and you!) are having to go through all this. I hope you see some signs that she's getting better soon.

If Dr. Herrera is there tomorrow, I'll say "hi" for you. ;):P

She might be concerned, she hasn't seen us in a day. :) She is truly a awesome vet who takes a real personal interest in my girls.

The Girls

Okay, I changed the bandage. OMG!!! :(:eek:sick:puke I was not prepared for the nastiness of it! The smell, the stick factor and she was NOT pleased! I had to soak the bandages that stuck off. DH was no help. Shanti licked the lidocaine. Great! My mom called while I was in progress, I made her come over. DH WILL BE HELPING NEXT TIME! I get to do this daily. Here are a few pictures.

Warning.....the first one is yucky!

Once I got all the wraps off. More hair and skin was coming off. :(

DSC01127.jpg

During, before mom came to the rescue! Lesson, lampshade did not help!

DSC01126.jpg

After, all cleaned and rewrapped. All those years of wrapping horse legs paid off. :)

DSC01125.jpg

Does she look pleased????

DSC01124.jpg

The Girls

Beautiful wrap job. :)

Sorry you're having to do it. :(

Continued prayers that you and vets can get to the bottom of things and get your pretty girlie all better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Awwww; she is such a beautiful girl! the bandage does look nicely done. I really hope whatever it is clears up riteawayquick, poor girl!

Guest Vinnie

Oh, Shanti, don't give the stinkeye to Mommy too much, she really is doing all of this because she loves you soooo much.

Keeping fingers, and toes, arms and legs crossed hoping for answers and healing for your poor little girl. Hope you get some sleep and some good quality time with her when you are not being "the evil mommy" and changing her bandages. It has to be so hard on all of you and it hurts so much when you can't fix something that you know is wrong. Sending more hugs to you and scritches to your gang.

Morning update.

She left her tail alone, so I left her unmuzzled. She stayed next to me all night. Anytime she moved, I knew it, so I got no sleep. :( Her belly has a couple new big blisters, but the rest look like they are healing nicely. She screamed this morning. I think having her tail wrapped does not allow it to bend and she gets it caught laying down or rolling sides. At least that is my best guess.

I will change her tail bandage tonight. Hopefully it will go better than last nights changing. :P

I am suppose to go to Palm Springs Thursday night for a night. Hopefully she is doing well enough for me to go. If not, I cancel another trip. :(

The Girls

Don't give up until you try manuka honey. Make sure it is the REAL one and not a copy cat version-I think Manuka Honey Usa is reliable. There have been several studies-a lot with humans- that have shown it sometimes heals wounds that nothing else does. In fact I believe it is the only treatment that has been proven effective against MRSLA. I am a chemist and this is legit to the best of my knowledge. I'll be praying for her speedy recovery.

I believe the belly is a completely different issue. I have seen similar on some hounds that I cleared up and didn't return by swabbing with high strength (95%) alcohol once or twice a day.

That poor little girl. And you really did a great wrap job but she sure doesn't look happy. That poor tail looks nasty and I can only imagine how it must hurt. I'm so glad to hear that she left it alone all night, but that no sleep can get really old. I sure hope you won't have to cancel coming up here. You could always bring Shanti with you and I'll come and get her and MAYBE I would even return her when you're ready to go home. I would like it better if she's well enough that you can come up without the worry.Actually don't ever trust me with her because I'de really want to keep her. :lol

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That poor little girl. And you really did a great wrap job but she sure doesn't look happy. That poor tail looks nasty and I can only imagine how it must hurt. I'm so glad to hear that she left it alone all night, but that no sleep can get really old. I sure hope you won't have to cancel coming up here. You could always bring Shanti with you and I'll come and get her and MAYBE I would even return her when you're ready to go home. I would like it better if she's well enough that you can come up without the worry.Actually don't ever trust me with her because I'de really want to keep her. :lol

Careful what you wish for! :P At the rate she is going she is more than my house per month. :lol:eek

We postponed a week. Hopefully that will give her some more time to heal up properly. I will hopefully be out there the 24th for the night only.

We are going to rewrap shortly. I just gave her pain killers. I will wait for them to take full effect. ;)

The Girls

Bandage change went well! Scott sat with her at her head so I wrapped while she was down. A little harder. The bandages did not stick to the sores this time! YEAH!!! It is still gross and could probably use a good cleaning tomorrow. I would bet all the hair on her tail will fall off. :( I cleaned her belly with warm water and put more cream on that. She is just stinky and I can't bathe her yet.

The good news...NO NEW ONES!

The Girls

Guest longdogs

When do you get the results of the tests? She may need her antibiotics 'tuned' for effectiveness if the problem is bacterial. Do you have to worry about cross-infection?

When do you get the results of the tests? She may need her antibiotics 'tuned' for effectiveness if the problem is bacterial. Do you have to worry about cross-infection?

I am hoping for the first set of results tomorrow. The rest maybe Friday or Monday. I have 7 days of antibiotics which would get us to results. Then we will either change or get more as needed. They are doing the whole culture and sensitivity testing. Cross infection has crossed my mind, so I am pretty careful. Her belly is much better today. So what is on her tail is not bugging her belly. Other dogs have no signs of anything weird. Nor do we. I was worried if it is staph could it transfer to us or the kids? Not yet.

She did well last night. One scream at 3am. It was when she was getting up. So it may be her leg, but she never screamed before about her leg.

This waiting game is killing me. The only plus is that she seems to be feeling better right now.

The Girls