The Greyhound Dictionary.

Guest marnie

Guest marnie

Greyhound Dictionary of Terms:

----------------------------------------------------------------

LEASH: A strap which attaches to your collar, enabling

you to lead your person where you want him/her to go.

DOG BED: any soft, clean surface, such as the white bedspread in the guest room or the newly upholstered

couch in the living room.

DROOL: Is what you do when your persons have food

and you don't.  To do this properly you must sit as close

as you can and look sad and let the drool fall to the floor, or better yet, on their laps.

SNIFF: A social custom to use when you greet other

dogs. Place your nose as close as you can to the other

dog's rear end and inhale deeply, repeat several times, or until your person makes you stop.

GARBAGE CAN: A container which your people put out

once a week to test your ingenuity. You must try to push the lid off with your nose.  If you do it right you are

rewarded with margarine wrappers to shred, beef bones

to consume and crusts of bread.

DEAFNESS: This is a malady which affects Greyhounds when

their person wants them to do something the dog

doesn't want to do. Symptoms include staring blankly at

the person, then running in the opposite direction, or

lying down.

THUNDER: This is a signal that the world is coming to an

end.  Humans remain amazingly calm during thunder storms, so it is necessary to warn them of the danger by

trembling uncontrollably, panting, rolling your eyes

wildly, and following at their heels.

WASTEBASKET: This is a Greyhound toy filled with paper,

envelopes, and old candy wrapper. When you get bored,

turn over the basket and strew the papers all over the house.

SOFAS: Are to Greyhounds like napkins are to people. After

eating it is polite to rub up and down the front of the

sofa and wipe your whiskers clean.

BATH: This is a process by which the humans drench the

floor, walls and themselves. You can help by shaking

vigorously and frequently.

LEAN: Every good Greyhound's response to the command "sit!",

especially if your person is dressed for an evening out.

Incredibly effective before black-tie events.

BUMP: The best way to get your human's attention when

they are drinking a fresh cup of coffee or tea.

GOOSE BUMP: A maneuver to use as a last resort when

the Regular Bump doesn't get the attention you require.....especially effective when combined with The Sniff. See above.

LOVE: Is a feeling of intense affection, given freely and

without restriction. The best way you can show your

love is to smile, wag tail and prance around with a goofy look on your face.  If you're lucky, a human will love you in return. :)

I edited this to add this next one that I didn't have on my original post.

Bathroom Break: Take nose and push open bathroom door when person is on toilet to just say "hi".  People just love this and will gasp in surprise and joy.  To be polite, this must be repeated, when guests come over.

--------------

Edited by marnie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jananice

Roach

The world's most comfortable sleeping position.

Roo

THe music of Greyhounds.  Preferred with accompanyment of other Greyhounds or humans.

Velcro dog

The best kind of Greyhound--one that wants to be where you are when you are there, and as close as possible.

Does the term "snarf" exist?

SNARF:  The sneezey action that accompanies the toothy, curled-lip smiles your greyhound greets you with each morning.

BUTTS UP - This is the position to get in when you want your human to play.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Don't forget:

Burping: The only way to show your person your complete satisfaction with the meal they have provided.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest mleg2001

Chattering --   Teeth clicking to express happiness or  

excitement

Happy Dance-- a prancing that is done when excited

The GROAN - letting your human know that they found that perfect place in your ear that so needed massaging, or an expression of satisfaction with getting the couch pillows arranged just perfectly for your nap.  :)

NESTING - the greyhound art (or perhaps science) of prolonged fluffing and digging of bedding with paws and snout into a heap that resembles a pile of dirty laundry!  :lol

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Statue- What you turn into when there's something you don't want to do (like going up the steps).

I discovered this the first night we had Marvin. I carried the "statue" up the steep steps and down in the morning. :lol

Nose Drip-A nervous reaction to just about anything that bothers you.Like that big bad candy wrapper you stepped on in the lawn. :lol

Gas-Silent but deadly. (This really didn't need an explaination) :eek

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Guest DeVon

SCRITCHIES: body scratches, most especially those along the neck where the human's fingers are curled up like a spider's legs, vigorously working the muscles of the neck, and the flat handed palm against the side of the ear rubbing up and down until you groan with pleasure...this activity could go on for hours...

SNAGGLING: the fine art of nosing the trash can lid up or the lid off of the cat food container, thus enabling one to partake in things one knows the human finds unacceptable, especially snotty kleenex, tin foil, paper towels, and cat food (which contributes greatly to the SBD gas problem)...

YARD BROWNIES:  These are delectable treats that you provide yourself when you poop in your yard.  Especially delicious when served in winter.  For reasons unknown to us dogs, humans find this treat repulsive.  Do not let this deter you.  It can be very amusing to hear your human screaming from the back door for you to stop.  If you're lucky, you might even get them to run outside in their pajamas to pick up the offending treat.  Enjoy! :)

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

Guest EllenEveAndBaz

Squirrel:  evil creatures that need to be chased, caught, and dispatched.  Or at the very least, barked at.

Love:  the warm and happy feeling your humans give to you, and you give back to them.

Guest GreyZoi

You beat me too it!  I was thinking of posting about this!  Greyt idea!  Ooh, there's one, "Greyt" a greyhound lover's substitution for anything Great.

How about:

Knitting:  little love nibbles

Helicopter Tail:  some have it, some don't but it is self-explanitory in moods of excitement.

Dewey:  The Eastern Mecca of greyhound enthusiasts

GT:  Slang for Greytalk

Bounce Backs:  Those dogs who come back from an intitial placement

I'm sure I'll think of more.

This would be a greyt addition to a Greyhound Adoption Package!

Guest jananice

Kanab:  The WESTERN Mecca for Greyhound owners

Roto-tail:  See Helicopter Tail

Pogo-ing:  Bouncing the front end up and down because you're happy that the owner is home/has treats/is home/is alive or you think other greys in your house might get something before you if you don't bounce.

Stuffies:  Fluffy inert object whose function is to be a target for any and all Greyhound attacks.  Especially good if they squeek, grunt or screech.

Guest Chris

Paula, may I add to your "yard brownies" definition?

If you really want to see your human go berzerk, bring the yard brownie into the house through "your door" and finish it inside!  Mom is sure to scream "I ASKED you to please scoop the yard!!!" at Dad!

:eek :shocked :puke:crying  

chris (been there, done that; now I scoop it myself :blush )

Fun post Marnie. I have one I am surprised GreyZoi didn't put since she coined the phrase and quite a few of us use it:

Feeder Dogs: All little dogs who can walk under Greyhounds. This term is used most accurately when referring to small dogs who are annoying to Greyhounds and yappy. (Origin came from GreyZoi's DS JRT's and we and others have added it to our vocabulary.

I love the term pancakes for mushie poo

s also. Neat post!! :)  :lol  :lol  :lol

Guest gatemaster93

Rain: An evil substance that will melt your skin off like acid if you should happen to go out in it to potty.

Rain: An evil substance that will melt your skin off like acid if you should happen to go out in it to potty.

Snow: Like the evil substance rain but fun for northern track dogs to play in and a new form of cold terrain for southern track dogs to jump around in. Also easier for two leggers to spot the targets.