Hemangiopericytoma

Guest greytexplorer

Took Surprise to the vet and he is scheduled to get a biopsy on Wednesday morning. It is looking like there is a new growth on his same leg. We talked about surgery and about how little material or skin is in the area of the growth. The plan is to remove it, then allow the wound to fill up to heal. The doctor assures me that seems to be the best for his situation. While he is under they will do teeth scaling as well. A lot for one old dude to go through. Praying that everything goes right on Wednesday for Surprise. Will talk to the other doctor to do Dr. Couto's shots again on the spot where they are removing the new growth. Otherwise he is a very healthy big boy as far as they can tell. Took in his urine and stool samples and they look the same color of the two year old greyhounds that we have. He eats very good and seems to do all of his duties just fine.

Of course when things happen they never seem to happen in just one thing. Hashtag Pasadena, the two year old loves to dig our yard full of holes. We fill them in and she digs them out. She is a beautiful small white greyhound with some red ticking. Well, that is most of the time, till she digs up roots of trees or grass, than drags them into the house with a big wad of dirt hanging off of them. But darn, she is so cute we just let her be the puppy like little girl she is. She also is very good for Surprise. But getting back to the point, she may have jammed her toenail and may require surgery due to her enthusiasm. So she is on pain pills for the week with the hope of her getting better. Otherwise she will have to have some surgery done on that toe. UGH.

Husband just finished getting a stint put in celiac artery in his abdomen. Doing pretty good. I was hoping more for a quiet summer this year and getting some much needed yard work done. But......... that may have to wait for next spring. Fall is fast approaching and we have to now prepare for the winter. We mainly heat with wood, so its stacking the wood and dealing with all that work that goes with it. But nothing is so beautiful as watching the fire as it warms the body. The kids love curling up on the beds close to the wood stove.

I made arrangements to go to Dewey for Greyhounds at the beach this year for just a day, but now that all depends on how they do. I had wanted to see Surprise romp in the sand some and chase a wave or two. It would have been good for his soul. God has it all in His hands and I trust that He will see us through this yet one more time. Just want what is best for the greys. They truly give me a lot of Joy. They are both a little mad at me as before we took them to the vet, I had the little hole diggers take a nice warm bath before they went to the doctor. Not their thing. They much rather roll in the grass and the dirt and chase each other and dig holes. Since Surprise is black. you do not see it so much. But baby girl is supposed to be white. I do not need to say more. Tomorrow morning they will be a little better when it is walk time. There is nothing they like better than their morning walk in the park. They would forego food to walk in the park.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The doctor took the biopsy and said that it will take till Saturday or Monday to get the test back. He did two of them. One of the lump and one of the skin. They will email me the reports to read as soon as received so I can read them and ask the questions.

He said it was not a fatty tumor and that most likely it was the same issues as before. He is also consulting with Dr. Rasmussin from the Hope Center and more than likely Dr. Couto again. When the growth returned,

it returned, it returned in the front of his leg this time. The other two times, it was on the inside of his leg between his elbow and his ankle. Pray that this time it is nothing.

Well, the news today is not good that we got on Surprise. He has another grade 1 to 2 tumor on his leg again for the third time. Have a request into Dr. Couto and to the vet to consult and to see what they are saying. Hoping that surgery can be done yet again and that they can use the 5/FU shots again. This time the vet has the supply on hand and can start it immediately after surgery that day as Dr. Couto would have liked. The last time, it was difficult for the vet to get the material and it took almost a month for them to get it. So perhaps that contributed to the fact it grew back again and even a litter quicker than before. That of course is only part of it, as the two previous surgeries that were done by different vets, did not get clean margins. It will be a long weekend waiting to see what the vet comes up with. Please keep Surprise in your prayers.

Edited by SanTanSnuggles

• 2 months later...

Was told that the best they could do for him was amputation by the Hope Center surgery department and from a vet in Dutton Mill Pennsylvania. The vet in Dutton Mill said that his dog had one and he left it alone and the dog lived for three more years to about the age of twelve. Also that the growth did not grow much. The oral cancer treatments and the shots did not work for Surprise. They said it was a fibrosarcoma. The growth seems to have gone away for now and he is running all around and seems to be doing good. I was quoted nine grand for radiation from the place in Leesburg. But no guarantee that would fix it either. Since it has basically not grown and it does not cause him pain, we decided not to do anything for now.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
The Use Of Negative Pressure On Extremity Front Leg Surgery (Surprises story continued here)

I had started a second subject on Surprise, as I was given false hope more or less, so if you would like to follow this subject, you can see more. In total the center in Frederick Md, charged me almost $1,400.00 for something that they said they could do, but backed out of after they got him on the table. They did x-rays read by the radiologist, blood test, got copies of previous work done, examination and told us it was good to go. The doctor had some training sessions the next week and said she felt better waiting to the next week to do the operation so she would be available.if Surprise had post op complications. So we agreed. She was the doctor. I cried for days for sure. We knew there were risks of it growing back, but to put Surprise and us through all of that was wrong.