What Is The Average Lifespan Of A Greyhound Please?

Guest lionessgrace

Guest lionessgrace

I want to know how many years I can look forward to having my hilarious hound around for. Please say forever, but an average age would be fine too. Thanks!

I've always heard 12, that seems about right around here? I think the oldest greyhound on record lived to be 22.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

My Coach is 13 and my Cougar will be 12 in September. I think they are in the average range. Hoping they are above average, though. :)

TT

Guest TBSFlame

My first grey died at 9.5. Beecher was almost 12. I have one now that is 12.5. I hope she will be with me a while longer but she has LP.

Guest KennelMom

I usually see 10-12 years as the average given for a lifespan. Of course, an average is just that - an average. Some live longer, some not as long and some in the middle. The youngest I've lost a dog is 13. The oldest 14 (a few weeks shy of 15). Our current oldest are 14 (just turned), 12, 11 and 9.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest VelvetEars

Mine have been 8 1/2 and 10 1/2. We have no idea how old Jackson is, but he's somewhere between 8 and 10 now, we think. And Jumper will be 8 next month.

Guest houndlover

I always thought that the average was 12-14 years, although I know quite a few that have lived well beyond that range. :)

Good question. Not to hijack the thread, but when do they become "seniors"?

My Sobe is 7, nearly 8, so if the lifespan is considered 10-12, I'd think he'd be approaching old-age. But I don't see him acting any different than he did when we adopted him at age 4. When do they start to "show" their age?

Guest FullMetalFrank

I get asked that question probably more than any other question by people curious about greyhounds, I usually go with 12 to 14 years but with a disclaimer that not all of them live that long, and no matter how long they live, it is never long enough!

Guest Greyglo

When asked, I use the 12-14 range I'd read in the books but in a recent poll here, it was so nice to see how very old some of these wonderful dogs are!

Stelly is 12 now so I am choosing to believe 14/15 is more average - (just call me cleopatra :) I will admit however that Stella Bella lately does seem 'senior', this winter she seemed to age.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I would have to say that for a large breed such as greyhound the life expectancy is pretty good 12-14 years. Proper managment (good care and food) your dog could live longer.

I never thought that Darius would live to 15.3 years I thought he would live to 12-13. Lots of love and the best care I could give could have made his life longer or maybe it was his great genes, whatever the case just love them all you can.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I lost my first to just shy of his 8th birthday.

My current houndies are 10, 9, 9 and 6.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest dwolfe711

We adopt mostly senior returns so they are already up there in age when we adopt them - we've always heard 12-14 - here is our history:

We lost:

Toby - hemangiosarcoma at 12

Red - osteo at 12

Elaine - osteo at 11.5

Lizzy - osteo at 14.5

Duncan - osteo at 12

Currently we have:

Ripley - 8yo

Allie - 14.5yo - and very healthy for that age

Ellie - 9yo

Apollo - 12yo

Good luck with your pup - I hope he will be with you with you for many, many years!!

Donna

Guest HeatherDemps

As others have said, I've always heard 12-14 years. Mine turned 12 in March and had a leg amputated in January due to osteo- so I'm grateful for whatever days I get now, but would love for many, many more years. :)

Guest crazy4greys

I usually say 10-12, and some can live to 14 and up.

My first 2 greys, Phoenix passed away at 10.5, and Autumn passed away from Osteo at 11.5.

I have known greys who have passed at 6 yrs.old due to cancer and my aunt's grey passed away 2 months shy of 9.

But I also know some greys who have lived to 14.

To answer the 'when do they start acting like seniors' question...

I think it varies a lot with each dog but Cody started acting "old" at about 11... but she'd hurt her back at 10.5 so that may have helped...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge