Pacing, Panting And Vomiting

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

About an hour ago, Tally vomited then ate it before we could stop her. She was licking carpet beforehand and pacing up and down the hallway. She was also panting.

After eating the vomit, she went outside, ate some grass, came back in and began pacing and panting again. She has finally laid down on her bed but is licking the carpet excessively around her bed.

Is this just an upset stomach and will clear itself up? Do I panic now or wait until morning? We've never had a sick dog before and don't know if she just doesn't feel well or if this is e-vet worthy. I'm a very nervous mommy and have made 1 too many rush to the vet trips over nothing so I thought I would ask those here with more wisdom and experience. Thank you for any suggestions in advance.

ETA: Nevermind. I just freaked. I have to learn to not spaz over every little thing. She puked again and seems a bit better now.

Edited by LokisMom

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'd say it's probably just an upset tummy. If she continues to vomit, won't eat or drink, or looks like she's in pain, you might want to call the vet.

If she's resting comfortably, just keep an eye on her.

Hope she feels better soon!

Guest LokisMom
I'd say it's probably just an upset tummy. If she continues to vomit, won't eat or drink, or looks like she's in pain, you might want to call the vet.

If she's resting comfortably, just keep an eye on her.

Hope she feels better soon!

She's vomited twice more now and is back to the carpet licking. I'm really worried.

I don't want to freak you out, but pacing, panting, and vomiting could indicate a serious problem (panting and pacing could equal PAIN) and personally I would call the vet ASAP.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ArtysPeople
I don't want to freak you out, but pacing, panting, and vomiting could indicate a serious problem (panting and pacing could equal PAIN) and personally I would call the vet ASAP.

Ditto that. Especially if the vomit is mostly foam/mucous. [not to freak you out, but symptoms of bloat are listed here]

Ditto that. Especially if the vomit is mostly foam/mucous. [not to freak you out, but symptoms of bloat are listed here]

double ditto. Get her to the vet and have them take an Xray for bloat ASAP. Sending prayers! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Checking for an update. If pup is still vomiting, best head to the vet now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LokisMom

She was vomiting successfully so we weren't overly concerned about bloat. It looked like she puked up everything she had ever eaten actually. We did the research on bloat last night as that was my first thought.

She settled down and slept for a few hours last night.

This morning she is not licking carpet as much, just for a few seconds when the alarm went off. She is periodically making a hacking sound. She has no fever and is acting a bit more normal. She does have some ridiculous bad gas though.

We had a rough 3 hours last night but I am hoping the worst is over? We will likely take her to our vet tomorrow if she still does not seem 100% assuming it does not get worse today.

If she vomits again, I would take her.

One of the other things vomiting can indicate is a blockage.

Hope she's turned the corner, tho!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest taylorsmom

Hope that Tally is feeling better! What had she eaten (food-wise) before vomiting? I might be thinking a blockage also. Has she been constipated?

Guest LokisMom

I don't think she has been constipated but to be honest, I watch them poo so often I can't remember whether I saw her go yesterday or the day before. She hasn't been trying and straining.

She is raw fed so she had eaten a chicken back and some turkey breast(boneless) 5-6 hours before the first sign of distress.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

If she's still licking the carpet, then her tummy is upset. I'd probably take her in an have her hydrated and checked for blockages etc. JMHO (also, I'm a worrier)

I would definitely take her to the vet if she is still vomitting today. The best emergency clinic is the Airport Animal Ermergency Center (317-248-0832 on Washington St.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest LokisMom
Any updates on Tally?

She did not vomit during the day Sunday and aside from seeming a bit tired, she acted normal all day. She ate a small, easy meal Sunday night and kept it down. She also had a healthy poo last night. I'm not sure what was wrong but she seems fine now. She was begging me for treats this morning and bouncing up and down (which she does when she is excited). Thank you for checking for updates and thanks all for the prayers and possibilities.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Just seeing this and glad to hear that all seems to be back to normal now. Don't scare your momma like that Tally.