Kiowa

Guest sheila

Sheila, I'm so sorry to read of Kiowa's passing. He was one of the original greyhounds I "got to know" after joining Greytalk 7 years ago, and those hounds are one of the reasons I continue to lurk on this board. The greys I read about here are very special to me. I understand how he changed your life - I feel the same about my Tori who was only with me for 3 years. Kiowa was a wonderful soul and he won't be forgotten. I know how sad you must be feeling, but take comfort in knowing that you gave him such a good and happy life. God bless you.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelia, I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug God speed Kiowa. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest jeannejj

Sheila, I am so so sorry about Kiowa. He was lucky to have your love, and you are lucky to have the memories. In time, those memories will bring peace and comfort to your aching heart.

Run free, sweet Kiowa.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

f_yellow I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug rest in peace Kiowa f_yellow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Sheila, I'm so sorry for your loss. Kiowa was lucky to have found you. Godspeed sweet boy! :gh_run2

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest IGmom4now
When I adopted Kiowa I was told that his former adoptive home was abusive. That he had been kept chained up under a porch where he had been attacked by other dogs. They said when they got him he was skinny and dirty and looked like someone had beat him with a cat-o-nine tails or something. Nonetheless he was a very sweet natured dog. Friendly and affectionate and sometimes playful but just the same there seemed to be a sadness about him. He would wake from sleep screaming often. When I took him for walks he just sort of plodded with his tail tucked and his head hung low.

One night after I had him for about 9 mo I had a very terrifying experience. The evening had been normal, Kiowa had had a long walk, had eaten his dinner and had tossed a stuffy around for a bit. I was in another room when I heard him yelp. When I checked on him he seemed fine, I couldn't find anything wrong, but about 20 min later he started pacing and panting and shaking. I called the vet who told me K probably had gas and to give him an antacid. I went to the store to buy some and when I came back K was laying on the floor and wouldn't get up, wouldn't even move. I called the vet back and insisted he needed to be seen NOW. The vet was in the city about 35 miles away but said he would return to his clinic as soon as he could. Now keep in mind K weighed over 80lb and I only weigh about 100 myself. I couldn't pick him up so I pulled my car around to the front porch and drug K by his legs and pulled him into the car. When I arrived at the clinic we had to wait about another 20 min for the vet to arrive. By the time the vet got there K had stopped breathing. He was alive but couldn't breathe. The vet tried injections of benedryl and epinephrine but they had no effect. Kiowa started to thrash in my arms at that point because he was suffocating. The poor guy even bit me during his panic and I didn't even notice until one of the staff noticed the blood pouring out of my hand later. The vet grabbed a scalpel and performed a tracheotomy and put a tube into K's neck and blew into it. K was then able to breath on his own a minute or so later. During his time on the table we discovered a bruised and bloody mark on his inner thigh which lead us to suspect some kind of bite, most likely from a spider. K spent the night at the vet and came home the next day.

The vet warned me that since he had been deprived of oxygen he may have brain damage and may have lost any/all training he had. Told me he might not even be housebroken anymore, or remember me. That wasn't the case thankfully. The next few weeks were hard on K. He was lethargic and seemed more hung down and brung down than ever. He wouldn't even go on walks at all, out for a pee break and he would want to go right back in the house. Until one amazing moment that I will never forget. I still choke up when I remember that moment. I had him out for his leashed pee break and he was plodding along when he suddenly stopped, lifted his head up and looked over his shoulder at me for a long moment like he was studying me. He sniffed the air and then looked back at me again and then........he jumped straight up into the air and then started bucking like a rodeo bronc. Spinning in circles and kicking up his heels. I was freaking out! When he was done his tail was wagging, his head was up and his ears were perked and he wanted to go for a walk. He even walked differently now. He kept his head and tail high and his ears perked. Best of all the 'plod' was gone and ever since then Kiowa walks with a prance to his step and joy in his eyes. I told the vet I think he may have fixed him too good! LOL

Seems the vet was 1/2 right. Kiowa did forget some things. He forgot to be sad. When he slept and dreamt he no longer woke up screaming, rather his tail would wag and he would sort of chuff and huff.

Kiowa is well into his 13th yr now and he's slowing down. He isn't running laps but does a leisurely lope around the yard. He takes the steps at a slower more methodical pace and is no longer able to jump up on my bed or into the truck without help. He now requires a 2 AM potty break and wears a diaper if I am gone for more than 4 hours but I don't mind. He still has joy in his eyes and a wag in his tail.

~

Run free my sweet happy boy. My naps on the couch will never be the same without you on the other end kicking the crap outta me while you dreamed happy dreams.

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful relationship! Your love for each other is forever. In time, may your heart lighten at the thought of it.

Guest greycious_gal

Oh, Sheila! K is one of the "greats" of this board to me. He was one of the first greys I came to know here. I will miss him very much, but I know you will miss him more. I loved reading his story in this thread. What a fabulous transition! What a great life he got out of the deal with you. :) So sorry for your loss.

Sheila...I just saw this, as I don't come here so often anymore. I'm so very sorry! Kiowa was one of the most well known canine personalities

on the Board. You must feel so incredibly sad...my thoughts are with you, Sheila...

Hugs,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest HersheysMom

What an amazing tribute to Kiowa. He was very lucky to have you caring for him, Sheila.

I'm so sorry he couldn't stay with you longer :grouphug